News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Will Sunday be Barkley's last game as a Giant?

Started by DaveBrown74, January 04, 2024, 11:48:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

Personally, I hope not. I like Barkley a lot and think he is the ultimate team player.

That said, I feel for him, knowing his career has been sort of shortchanged, playing for the Giants. He has basically wasted the best years of his career here and if he does decide t o leave I hold no grudges and would wish him well.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

T200

I hate to see him go, but he must for two reasons:

1) We can't afford to pay him without having a line that can keep him from getting tackled at handoff.
2) He needs to go to a team that will allow him to maximize his skills and talents.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

uconnjack8

I think it's likely his last game.  Not sure how much money he may or may not get elsewhere or with the Giants, but I think its probable he will not be with the Giants next year.

londonblue

I think it will be and should be for his sake and for the team's. He is a great guy but drafting him was a mistake. Him leaving certainly weakens the team initially but we cannot throw big money at an oft injured running back with lots of miles on the clock in defiance of every principle of team building in the modern NFL.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

ozzie

Seems like a great guy, a great teammate and is good with the press. Obviously has talent and big play capabilities, but to be honest, if he left, I wouldn't miss him. I just don't think he is worth what they will have to pay to keep him.
If he leaves, I wish him all the best, but I don't really think it will be hard to match his production.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

Giant Obsession

Does this guy ever do an interview that is not related to his contract wants.

Just shut up, play ball, and quit politicking about a new contract every 10 minutes.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Giant Obsession on January 04, 2024, 03:54:09 PMDoes this guy ever do an interview that is not related to his contract wants.

Just shut up, play ball, and quit politicking about a new contract every 10 minutes.

I have to say, I have gotten a bit tired of it too.

Giant Obsession

Gettleman was right.  Barkley is a generational talent.

The ME generation.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

londonblue

To be fair to him he just answers the questions he gets asked. Of course given his close relationship with the press they may be lobbing him the pitches he wants but the team kicked the can down the road last off season so prolonged the soap opera.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: londonblue on January 04, 2024, 04:13:45 PMTo be fair to him he just answers the questions he gets asked. Of course given his close relationship with the press they may be lobbing him the pitches he wants but the team kicked the can down the road last off season so prolonged the soap opera.

You're right - it's hard to fault someone for just answering questions directed at them, but the drama last offseason around his contract was pretty insufferable. I just think the fan base has just gotten tired of hearing about this subject, irrespective of who initiates the conversation. I really hope we don't have a repeat of it. This player was once great but he is very replaceable (for much cheaper) at this point. Enough is enough.

Stringer Bell

Quote from: londonblue on January 04, 2024, 01:17:34 PMI think it will be and should be for his sake and for the team's. He is a great guy but drafting him was a mistake. Him leaving certainly weakens the team initially but we cannot throw big money at an oft injured running back with lots of miles on the clock in defiance of every principle of team building in the modern NFL.

This. Nice guy and solid player, but I have no interest in re-signing him.

madbadger

Quote from: Giant Obsession on January 04, 2024, 03:54:09 PMDoes this guy ever do an interview that is not related to his contract wants.

You do realize that the interviewer controls the questions asked and which of his answers makes it into print?

Giant Obsession

Quote from: madbadger on January 04, 2024, 05:59:53 PMYou do realize that the interviewer controls the questions asked and which of his answers makes it into print?

Absolutely.

I also realize in real life what you make or your contract negotiations is no ones business but yours.

When they ask give em the Belechick...."next question".
Mike

AZGiantFan

Quote from: madbadger on January 04, 2024, 05:59:53 PMYou do realize that the interviewer controls the questions asked and which of his answers makes it into print?

But the interviewee controls the answers and anyone with any media savvy, which he should have after the better part of a decade dealing with the media in college and the pros, knows how to deflect and avoid creating situations like this if he wants.  Kafka's answer to the "Do you expect to be back?" question in another thread is a good example.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll