News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

How do you feel about the Giants future?

Started by MightyGiants, January 08, 2024, 08:29:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

On a scale of one to ten.   Ten being you believe the Giants are a Super Bowl contender in the next year or two and one being you expect another decade of futility, where are you at?   Bonus points for explaining your answer.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

killarich

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 08, 2024, 08:29:54 AMOn a scale of one to ten.   Ten being you believe the Giants are a Super Bowl contender in the next year or two and one being you expect another decade of futility, where are you at?   Bonus points for explaining your answer.

Idk about Superbowl contender , but I think they can turn it around. We need to fix some major holes though.... not just QB

DaveBrown74

I'd put myself at a 4 or 5 right now.

It would be lower except that I do still like Schoen and Daboll and continue to believe that the franchise is in good hands with those two at the helm. By no means does that mean I'm turning a blind eye to the mistakes/shortcomings both have exhibited so far, particularly this year, but I still like them.

Unfortunately, I continue to think Mara is an impediment and that the organization broadly (mainly because of him and some of the other sacred cows like his brother) is stodgy, stubborn, and not at all nimble. I think Schoen is a strong force against that, but at the end of the day the owner is (obviously) in the dominant position.

So I'd say the roster situation is a 2 or 3, but I'm bumping it up to a 4 or 5 (we can call it a 4.5) due to my belief that we have solid leadership right now, at least in the front office and coaching ranks. I'd probably have it as a solid 5 or 6 if we were picking fourth or higher in this draft. Unfortunately, the base case now is that we won't draft our QB of the future in this draft, so it's hard to feel particularly good about things.

katkavage

If the don't address the QB issue, not good. If they do, I'm optimistic. If they don't recognize that the best QB on the roster is a very good back up,and need a real potentially elite, franchise QB, I will have no faith going forward.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: katkavage on January 08, 2024, 09:56:47 AMIf the don't address the QB issue, not good. If they do, I'm optimistic. If they don't recognize that the best QB on the roster is a very good back up,and need a real potentially elite, franchise QB, I will have no faith going forward.

The only way they can "address the QB issue" by adding a "real potentially elite, franchise QB" at this point would be a trade-up or by drafting Penix 6th overall and praying he not only lives up to what he has been in college but also stays healthy. Otherwise it's going to have to wait at least a year.

Unless we want to entertain the possibility that they take someone like Nix in the second round and he actually turns into a stud.

More likely than not we'll be running it back again with a hobbled Dimes, Tyrod (or some other journeyman type), and maybe an occasional appearance from Cutlets.

katkavage

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 08, 2024, 10:14:32 AMThe only way they can "address the QB issue" by adding a "real potentially elite, franchise QB" at this point would be a trade-up or by drafting Penix 6th overall and praying he not only lives up to what he has been in college but also stays healthy. Otherwise it's going to have to wait at least a year.

Unless we want to entertain the possibility that they take someone like Nix in the second round and he actually turns into a stud.

More likely than not we'll be running it back again with a hobbled Dimes, Tyrod (or some other journeyman type), and maybe an occasional appearance from Cutlets.
I'm not sure they won't have a chance at one of the three. I'm not sold that the Bears take Williams but trade that pick to Washington and with Washington's pick take Harrison. I don't see Arizona taking a QB or the Chargers. In that scenario they get one. Also the draft board might alter somewhat with the exception of Williams. Maybe someone rises while another falls. We shall see.

Bob In PA

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 08, 2024, 10:14:32 AMThe only way they can "address the QB issue" by adding a "real potentially elite, franchise QB" at this point would be a trade-up or by drafting Penix 6th overall and praying he not only lives up to what he has been in college but also stays healthy. Otherwise it's going to have to wait at least a year.

DB: I hate to say this (being myself left-handed) but I don't like lefty pro QB's (as I do in baseball lol).

It's hard enough to supply a pro QB with a group of men who can catch the ball, but even harder for a lefty QB.

I know that might sound silly but it's not.  Look how long it took to find a group for Tua.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

Quote from: katkavage on January 08, 2024, 10:21:05 AMI'm not sure they won't have a chance at one of the three. I'm not sold that the Bears take Williams but trade that pick to Washington and with Washington's pick take Harrison. I don't see Arizona taking a QB or the Chargers. In that scenario they get one. Also the draft board might alter somewhat with the exception of Williams. Maybe someone rises while another falls. We shall see.

Getting one of the top 3 QBs at six will be a long shot (teams ahead of us may trade out to one of the many teams that need a QB).  I think it would be prudent to assume the top-tier QBs are gone at 6 and plan accordingly.  I mean if there is a miracle and a top QB prospect falls, it's easy enough to have a contingency plan if that happens, but it would make more sense to plan with the assumption that it will not happen.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on January 08, 2024, 10:26:33 AMDB: I hate to say this (being myself left-handed) but I don't like lefty pro QB's (as I do in baseball lol).

It's hard enough to supply a pro QB with a group of me who can catch the ball, but even harder for a lefty QB.

I know that might sound silly but it's not.  Look how long it took to find a group for Tua.

Bob

PFF has drop rates for QB prospects

C. Williams- 3.9%
D. Maye- 8.2%
J. Daniels- 6.7%
M. Penix- 5.1%
B. Nix-  7.0%
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

StompYouOT

I guess a 6. Good QB play from Tyrod allowed us to compete against good teams. The defense plays well most weeks and we will have decent draft capital to work with.

We could be the next Houston IF we find a QB. I think we have to wait until 2025 though.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: StompYouOT on January 08, 2024, 10:34:18 AMI guess a 6. Good QB play from Tyrod allowed us to compete against good teams. The defense plays well most weeks and we will have decent draft capital to work with.

We could be the next Houston IF we find a QB. I think we have to wait until 2025 though.

2025 looks like a significantly leaner QB class than this one. Obviously things can change, but the odds of it being comparable to this one are low. We'll likely need to be picking in the top three to feel good about our situation.

MightyGiants

I put myself at a 3.

QB-  Jones' health issues combined with a poor 2023 performance makes him unlikely to be the team's long term answer

Overall talent level-  Bottom 5 in the league, potentially bottom 3

Since the trenches are very important-

O-line-  Still a real mess with the need to add at least 2 starters and a swing tackle capable of starting

D-line-  Need at least one more quality edge rusher and a replacement for Williams

Cap Space-  The Giants are middle of the pack with about $17.5 million in effective cap space (the Giants may be able to boost this a bit).

No indication the team is parting ways with Ronnie Barnes, but at least there will be a new S/C coach

Coaching overall, they are replacing their two worst in BJ and their ST Coordinator, so there could be improvement there.  Hitting on their O-line coach could give this team a real lift

Young talent in the pipeline-  There is some in Hyatt, W. Robinson, Banks, and KT, but I would say it's a source of great optimism

So I am not seeing many reasons to be optimistic about this team's prospects.

That said, you never know what knock-it-out-of-the-park draft could drastically change this team's fortunes.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

londonblue

I'm a slightly generous 5.

Our three biggest issues for me are OL bar AT, DE/DT post Leo and QB.

Edge 2, CB and a WR1 would all be nice to have but I don't think upgrading any of them would have quite the same impact as better trench and QB play would give us.

We have quite a few young players with upside who have flashed at times this year but still too few established playmakers. Our depth is improving though and back-ups have contributed.

We generally play hard and compete against 'mid' teams but the talent deficit to eg Dallas, SF has been gargantuan. Coaching has been up and down but they never lost the team. Effort remained strong. This matters moving forward.

It would be interesting to retain all our thoughts and then revisit in May post FA/draft and again next season. Right now I could see us as anything between 5 and 10 wins next year and would not want to be try to be more precise.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

katkavage

The Giants right now are like their draft position, truly the sixth worst team in the NFL. Four of their six wins were against teams worse than them. The win yesterday against a horrific flailing Eagles team was nice, but it was just a meaningless win. I think to me what was obvious was once DeVito, and especially Taylor, who is one of the best back up QBs in the NFL, and better than the proclaimed starter, the team got better. Really after the debacle in Dallas, the only poor game was New Orleans, and I attribute much of the better performances to the QB play. That is why I truly feel by going back to the starter who the team has much money invested in, I cannot be optimistic.

jgrangers2

I'm between 6 and 7. I like the front office and coaching staff but it's hard to go any higher without the right QB.