News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What is the problem with WAITING next year to draft a QB ?

Started by brownelvis54, January 08, 2024, 12:02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brownelvis54

I admit I watched no games this weekend (this was my turn to work at the hospital all weekend and way too busy to watch anything thing) I did record the game and plan to watch it later. I know we won cause someone there told me ~X(  ~X(

Anyways, to me. It looks like we will most likely miss out on Maye, Williams and Daniels because of where we pick.  So, WHAT is the problem with waiting until 2025 to draft our QB?

IMO we could use in the 1st round

1-EDGE to pair with Thibodeaux (Ojulari has been proven undependable)

2-WR we need a true #1 to go with Robinson and Hyatt

3-CB lets be honest, in todays NFL, its become a passing league AND there is no such thing as too many CBs

I agree we need a QB, but in no way are we a QB away from being good. We are stuck with Daniel Jones for one more year like it or not. And drafting any of the top 3 QBs in this draft doesn't guarantee he will not be a bust. In fact it seems odds favor a bust than a star.

In the 2nd round we can add RB, TE, RG and maybe a swing tackle?

I am against trading up because we need all the picks we can and like I said before...we are not one player away from being any good.

We should just roll with Jones, DeVito and some Vet QB in FA

If our team falters again next year (I would imagine more of the same) then our record would reflect that and that would give us a high pick and we could get our guy then. In the mean time...this draft we could plug in players in positions we desperately need.

Am I wrong.?
The KING is in the building

JT39

2025 class right now looks really weak compared to this years class. There isnt really a great Sophomore. And the ones who returned probably would have ranged from 7-12 in this years class.

Gmo11

If you wait until next year you're going to need to have a Panthers level season in order to get him because of how shallow that class is.  There might be a great prospect that separates himself next season, there usually is, but in order to get that guy you're going to have to be truly and completely terrible and even though hope nobody else is worse or else trade multiple future first round picks to get a guy.  This year they had a real shot of just getting into the top 4 and having the chance to get a really great prospect.  They may well have a shot in the 2nd round to get a prospect as good as anybody currently slated to come out next season.  So no, if they do need a new QB they should go get one this year if possible.  That doesn't mean mortgage the farm to get Caleb Williams.  That ship sailed with a 3 game winning streak.

MightyGiants

I have resigned myself to the reality that the Giants may be stuck in QB hell, thanks to those meaningless wins.   They will prove themselves bad enough not to be a contender and will struggle to even make the expanded playoff roster, but they will continue to win enough games that it will be extremely difficult to land an elite QB prospect.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jclayton92

Yeah 2025 class is nonexistent, we've been talking about this 2024 class for years now. There aren't classes like this often. The last one was the Burrow, Tua, Herbert, Love, Hurts class and before that maybe 04 since there were multiple top end guys.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jclayton92 on January 08, 2024, 12:22:11 PMYeah 2025 class is nonexistent, we've been talking about this 2024 class for years now. There aren't classes like this often. The last one was the Burrow, Tua, Herbert, Love, Hurts class and before that maybe 04 since there were multiple top end guys.

Jess,

Outside the top 3 (Williams, Maye, Daniels), are you seeing another elite QB prospect?  I mean, Penix looks good, but his injury history is frightening.  McCarthy isn't exactly lighting it up.   Bo Nix, I hear many people saying he is a system QB who hasn't shown he has the potential to handle a more complex NFL caliber offense.   

Is there someone outside those top 3 we should be looking at or targeting?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

To answer the OP, the problem is simply that we need a good young QB very badly on this roster, and this is one of the more promising QB classes we have seen recently. Further, next year's class doesn't look great, and who is to say we'll be picking anywhere near the top 5 next year? We could easily have a 2022 type season where the ball bounces our way in a number of games and end up 8-9 or something and out of the running to even be in proximity for one of the top names.

Stringer Bell

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 08, 2024, 12:26:09 PMIs there someone outside those top 3 we should be looking at or targeting?

No, which is why I haven't been pinning my hopes on this draft all along. And I'm not even a fan of Daniels, so I'm not a believer in this idea of this being a "historic class".

I think the Giants should plug holes across the roster, restore the legacy through an elite defense, and then fix the QB position.

In order of priority, I'd like:

WR
DE / OLB
OL
CB
DT
RB

Jclayton92

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 08, 2024, 12:26:09 PMJess,

Outside the top 3 (Williams, Maye, Daniels), are you seeing another elite QB prospect?  I mean, Penix looks good, but his injury history is frightening.  McCarthy isn't exactly lighting it up.  Bo Nix, I hear many people saying he is a system QB who hasn't shown he has the potential to handle a more complex NFL caliber offense.   

Is there someone outside those top 3 we should be looking at or targeting?
Outside the 6 guys you listed it's really a crap shoot. There are guys with elite traits and high end play but are missing things. So you'd he taking them thinking you can coach the problems and let the elite traits takeover.

Best of the rest:

Quinn Ewers, if he declares he's a less Mobil Josh Allen with a cannon but his intermediate and short game need work. He was the no 1 overall recruit in 2021

Micheal pratt, if he had played in the SEC or BIG he'd be getting end of day 1/day 2 hype.

Cameron Ward, would be a top prospect if he played at a national program. He'll only get better with his mechanics but the decision making is what concerns me.

Jordan Travis, has a lot to love and is a gamer but the height is the big question mark otherwise he'd be talked about at the top.

The rest:
Spencer Rattler
Kedon Slovis
Sam Hartman
Devin Leary
Joe Milton

All these guys have 1 high end trait and will make a camp but it would be a Devito esq hill to climb

Most of the intriguing guys like Sanders, Mccall, Leonard, Dart, Jefferson etc are going back to school

Jclayton92

Quote from: Stringer Bell on January 08, 2024, 12:39:00 PMNo, which is why I haven't been pinning my hopes on this draft all along. And I'm not even a fan of Daniels, so I'm not a believer in this idea of this being a "historic class".

I think the Giants should plug holes across the roster, restore the legacy through an elite defense, and then fix the QB position.

In order of priority, I'd like:

WR
DE / OLB
OL
CB
DT
RB

The problem with that is that unless you have a QB none of that matters.  We have a solid defense now, we just can't score points.

Stringer Bell

Quote from: Jclayton92 on January 08, 2024, 12:42:53 PMThe problem with that is that unless you have a QB none of that matters.  We have a solid defense now, we just can't score points.

And conversely, unless you have solid pieces to support a QB, none of it matters. This team is not there yet.

Jclayton92

Quote from: Stringer Bell on January 08, 2024, 01:27:00 PMAnd conversely, unless you have solid pieces to support a QB, none of it matters. This team is not there yet.
This team is significantly further along than most teams that inherent a new Qb. Better than the Texans roster that got Stroud, better than the Bengals roster that got Burrow, Miami was a worse off when they got Tua and the list goes on. If we get a Qb1 this offseason we are a playoff team next year easily.

Stringer Bell

Quote from: Jclayton92 on January 08, 2024, 02:37:32 PMThis team is significantly further along than most teams that inherent a new Qb. Better than the Texans roster that got Stroud, better than the Bengals roster that got Burrow, Miami was a worse off when they got Tua and the list goes on. If we get a Qb1 this offseason we are a playoff team next year easily.

Completely disagree. The Texans offense is more talented than ours. Significantly better WRs, better OL, comparable RB and TE. And the Bengals offense is WAY better than ours. Not sure how you could even compare the two.

y_so_blu

We need a new quarterback this year, not next year.

For a long time I believed Jones could eventually be the guy if we just built a better team around him, but that ship has sailed. C.J. Stroud was drafted by a team just as bad as the Giants and still elevated them to the playoffs. Jones took four years to get there and doesn't show any signs that he'll be able to do it again.

So yeah, let's go get a quarterback while we have a relatively good class to pick from.

Painter

The only thing we know for sure is that whining about missed opportunity is not just a waste of time but can also prove fraudulent. Where QB is concerned, we must consider it almost a given that, like it or not, the plan is for Daniel Jones to be the Giants starting QB next season unless he is  unable or proves to be incapable. Whatever level of confidence the staff may or may not have in DJ, the economic exigency of his cost this year will be determinant.

Personally, I think it unlikely that the Schoen/Daboll Org will use its first pick on a QB (unless they trade back) but might use one of its 2nd Rounders on a less challenging risk/reward type as a back-up and, you never know, bottled lightening. ::)

Although, I am not into guessing, I can't imagine that they won't do all that's possible with 2 of their first 4 picks and in FA as well to add a couple or more legit talents to the starting Oline. There can be no waiting there.

Cheers!