News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Do you think after yesterday, coaches might be hesitant to come to NYG?

Started by MightyGiants, January 09, 2024, 08:26:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

The NY Post has an interesting article on this

QuoteThe Daboll-Martindale relationship first came under public scrutiny when Fox Sports reported in late November that the two coaches were in "a bad place'' with "tension'' that might lead to Martindale not lasting the season.

That report came days after the Giants' defense was torched by the Cowboys for 640 total offensive yards in an embarrassing, noncompetitive 49-17 Week 10 loss in Dallas. During that game, the two coaches were seen having what appeared to be a heated exchange on the sideline in the first half.

Both dismissed that discussion as any sort of issue afterward, but it was no coincidence that the Fox report emerged days later. Reading the tea leaves on this, it was pretty clear that Martindale or someone close to him leaked his disdain to the Fox reporter and that, in turn, infuriated Daboll, who has no tolerance for internal leaks.

"He and I talk all the time," Martindale said afterward about the Dallas incident.

QuoteSafety Xavier McKinney, who had a brief public row with Martindale during the season when he didn't think the coordinator was listening to players' in-game input, called him "a great DC who has a great relationship with a lot of guys.''

McKinney's sentiments about Martindale are pretty universal among the team's defensive players.

Quote"I think players would be a little disheartened and upset [if Martindale wasn't retained], but in this league, there is change, and we understand that,'' cornerback Adoree' Jackson told The Post. "They don't make decisions based off what the players want or think. Whatever decision they do make, whoever they being in if it's not Wink, we've all just got to buy in. You adapt as players and coaches will adapt, too.''

https://nypost.com/2024/01/09/sports/wink-martindale-brian-daboll-divorce-could-make-giants-reboot-more-challenging/?utm_campaign=nypost_sports&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&sr_share=twitter
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

ozzie

I honestly work with people I don't like every day. I mean, I really have no respect for them and want nothing to do with them. Now, I'm sure that makes me sound like a first class jerk, and maybe I am, but I don't let my feelings towards them affect how I do my job and I certainly wouldn't do anything other than help them when they needed it. We all work in the same place and the job needs to be done and done right. We all benefit from working together.
I see no reason the Giants couldn't have worked this out, although I do think Daboll is mostly to fault. It was pretty underhanded and comes across as somewhat cowardly to me to have fired Wink's position guys knowing that would most probably send Wink over the edge and then come to the media and say he expects Wink to stay.
I do think that may just be enough to have some established coaches think twice about joining Daboll's staff.
We will see how this plays out in future dealings with Daboll around the league.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

BluesCruz

The Defense was not the problem

Daboll and his rotten offense was the issue.  Mostly Jones and Barkley were the anchors dragging us down

now we start all over and the continuity we just established and success
are rendered moot

its back to square 1

Good Grief

I'd ditch Daboll and bring in Antonio Pierce if I were Mara and Schoen
draft Penix jr and away we go to the Super Bowl......just follow the yellow brick road to the Emerald City
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

MightyGiants

The latest saga involving Wink not actually formally resigning, only further sullies Dabs and NYG
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

I don't think Wink storming out of the building furious is a great look, myself. Do I think it will have a materially damaging impact on the Giants' reputation as a franchise (and vis-a-vis their ability to hire quality candidates)? Possibly but I kind of doubt it. Exits are often less than seamless. And Wink has had curious exits before.

To me the bigger issue the Giants have with hiring is that they stink. If you're a coordinator candidate and you have aspirations of being a head coach, you want to be going to teams with good rosters that will make you look good and be more likely to be hired for a bigger role. With the Giants, you just don't have that outlook. At best it will take a few years, and that's IF the roster improves tangibly, which is hardly a lock given.

londonblue

I think the obviously mendacious way the presser yesterday was handled by Daboll (you cannot expect Wink back knowing you are about to fire his guys) will upset our owners more than those beyond the building.

I do think the smell around Daboll as a people manager will be a factor for coaches with other options but where it will rank vs general health of franchise, NJ taxes and other potential deterrents depends on the individual. Some people place a high premium on interpersonal fit, others have more measurable priorities.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

uconnjack8

I doubt any coaches will change their opinion based on this situation.  Daboll has been around the NFL for a while and its a small fraternity of coaches.  I am sure he knows a lot of them and they know him.  Either they liked or didn't like him prior to this. 

I do wonder if it goes beyond poor performance of a position group that caused the termination of the Wilkins brothers.   

MightyGiants

Quote from: londonblue on January 09, 2024, 12:03:08 PMI think the obviously mendacious way the presser yesterday was handled by Daboll (you cannot expect Wink back knowing you are about to fire his guys) will upset our owners more than those beyond the building.

I do think the smell around Daboll as a people manager will be a factor for coaches with other options but where it will rank vs general health of franchise, NJ taxes and other potential deterrents depends on the individual. Some people place a high premium on interpersonal fit, others have more measurable priorities.

I agree, and I have to admit I had to look up mendacious (a rare word I didn't have a clue what it meant).
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Fast Eddie Felson

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 09, 2024, 12:16:12 PMI agree, and I have to admit I had to look up mendacious (a rare word I didn't have a clue what it meant).

Trench

Quote from: BluesCruz on January 09, 2024, 11:47:02 AMThe Defense was not the problem

Daboll and his rotten offense was the issue.  Mostly Jones and Barkley were the anchors dragging us down

now we start all over and the continuity we just established and success
are rendered moot

its back to square 1

Good Grief

I'd ditch Daboll and bring in Antonio Pierce if I were Mara and Schoen
draft Penix jr and away we go to the Super Bowl......just follow the yellow brick road to the Emerald City

No thanks on Penix. Didn't impress me yesterday.

Painter

No, not in most cases. Not unless there was a previous history of friction in which case the issue would be moot; wouldn't arise. There are so few such opportunities that unless a so called, candidate is independently wealthy, poorly motivated, and indifferent- how likely is that?- the whole notion is just a finger-wave in and to our fanny.

If there is a problem, it will be in finding the right guy from among the many. That's a matter for which no doubt we will be offering our wisdom once we have decided who to blame for the larger issue which involves the team's return to its more usual state of profound mediocrity or worse.

Although, I am not going to speculate about cause, effect, or blame re any of the recent coaching changes including the Wink dink, I must say that the performance of the Giants Defense has been disappointing, not just this year, but over the last 10 games of the year before. Not much difference if you give up 26 ppg to finish 3-6-1 or 24 ppg and end up 6-11.

Yes, the Giants Offense is even worse which is why it is must be the center, the nidus, the focal point currently for any and all issues regarding the competency, ability, and talent of staff and players. And for me, it begins with Joe Schoen needing to decide if Brian Daboll, despite being named 2022 COTY isn't an example, a victim if you like, of the Peter Principle. And if he is, we can only hope that we aren't as well, so we can keep trying to make sense of Big Blue Nonsense.

Cheers!

Doc16LT56

@Fast Eddie Felson

"Mendacity is a system that we live in, liquor is one way out an' death's the other."

Doc16LT56

Quote from: Painter on January 09, 2024, 12:56:57 PMYes, the Giants Offense is even worse which is why it is must be the center, the nidus, the focal point currently for any and all issues regarding the competency, ability, and talent of staff and players. And for me, it begins with Joe Schoen needing to decide if Brian Daboll, despite being named 2022 COTY isn't an example, a victim if you like, of the Peter Principle.
Right on cue Painter gives us another word to look up, wrapped in a good point.

Brooklyn Dave

To answer the question posed on this thread. I think that there will be coaches who will be hesitant to come to  the Giants for this reason . If the Giants have another awful season in 2024, Daboll will most likely be gone and a new coach will want his own assistants .

AYM

After hearing about the 24 stunt Wink pulled on Sunday, I've moved toward Daboll's side a bit more in this dispute.