News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Interesting wrinkle in the Wink saga

Started by MightyGiants, January 09, 2024, 11:45:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doc16LT56

There are more problems on D than what you're seeing.

T200

Quote from: Philosophers on January 09, 2024, 12:46:31 PMWhy would Giants blow up defensive coaching when the O side and STs are the problem?
Those coaching changes were the first ones made. Your question reads as if nothing was done about the offensive line and special teams.

We only see what goes on during the game and what's reported during the week. As fans, we think we know a lot more than we actually do.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

AZGiantFan

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 09, 2024, 11:45:44 AMhttps://x.com/JordanRaanan/status/1744723314650820791?s=20

So who is playing games now?  I know it goes against the grain of almost a consensus here, but I think, based on what we know right now, that this reflects worse on Wink than Daboll. 
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

Quote from: T200 on January 09, 2024, 01:13:15 PMThose coaching changes were the first ones made. Your question reads as if nothing was done about the offensive line and special teams.

We only see what goes on during the game and what's reported during the week. As fans, we think we know a lot more than we actually do.

Is OL really our only O problem?  Have we developed our WRs, TEs, RBs and QBs sufficiently?

T200

Quote from: Philosophers on January 09, 2024, 02:33:46 PMIs OL really our only O problem?  Have we developed our WRs, TEs, RBs and QBs sufficiently?
Didn't mean to suggest that it was. The QB position has been a question mark since before Eli retired. The offensive line has been an issue since 2011. The skill positions are questionable talent-wise but we can't really assess whether they've been developed sufficiently or not because of the two moon-sized issues ahead of them.

My previous response to yours was, as I said, reading as if the only coaching changes made were on defense. Daboll fired coaches who were underperforming. Let's see how that works out.

T200

Found this on a Giants group on Facebook

QuoteAll this hand-wringing and "The sky is falling" panicking, and acting as though Wink is the greatest defensive coordinator since Monte Kiffin or Buddy Ryan, is absurd. So are the comments that the Giants "did him wrong". Look at how this all played out:

When did you first hear about the rift? When Jay Glazer reported it on Thanksgiving weekend. Glazer's comment, "When I  talk to people inside the organization..." is almost certainly BS. That's the usual way of deflecting the question of, "Jay, who was your source?"...saying it was some anonymous person "within the organization". It's also a way of allowing Glazer to say he didn't lie about the identity of his source, because Wink IS part of the organization.

The tip to Glazer was from Wink (or his rep), and it was timed to create the most chaos amongst the organization, the media, and the fan base: Thanksgiving weekend, one of the most heavily viewed weekends of the NFL season. Wink was unhappy for whatever reason, he and his reps let it be known publicly on the biggest non-playoff weekend of the season, and some of you are saying the Giants did WINK wrong???

At that point, Schoen, Daboll and Mara knew the split was inevitable. Regardless of what you think about Mara, do you realize how much combined NFL experience there is in those three minds? Do you honestly believe ANYTHING that happened next took them by surprise...even if any one of them says it did for public consumption?

They knew that any open feud with five games remaining would totally derail an already-dismal season, and likely cause locker room chaos...so Daboll went into damage control mode, with his various "The only thing Wink and I fight about is who gets the last slice of pizza" -type comments. But the split wasn't a question of IF, but WHEN. And the Giants hoped it wouldn't come before Black Friday. And it didn't.

But what to do now that the day of reckoning was here? Fire Wink along with the underperforming O-line and Special Teams coaches? The Giants brain trust knew Wink wants to be a Head Coach, but they also knew he crapped out on his interviews for that position last off-season. He might have to hook up with another team looking for a Defensive Coordinator. Firing Wink would enable him to hook up with any team in the NFL, particularly the one 90 miles down the New Jersey Turnpike that happens to have a Defensive Coordinator whose team is playing defense like they forgot how. Imagine the nightmare for the NYG game planning in 2024 if the DC who replaces Matt Patricia is the guy who is intimately familiar with the strengths and WEAKNESSES of almost every player on the Giants' roster.... TWICE a season!?!? And the reaction from the NYG fanbase would be an uproar.

So OF COURSE Daboll preempts any other Black Friday NYG media questions with "I expect both Kafka and Wink to be back next season".
TRANSLATION: THE NEW YORK GIANTS ARE NOT FIRING WINK, BUT WE WOULDN'T BE SAD IF HE RESIGNS.

And I've read comments that Daboll was "caught by surprise at Wink's resignation". Nonsense. Almost before the media mongrels finished reporting Daboll's "Kafka and Wink will be back" statement, the Giants fired the Wilkens brothers, their linebackers coach and Defensive Assistant coach... but, more importantly, Wink's most-trusted buddies on the staff. And with that one move, they assured that Wink would resign, avoiding the need to fire him and relinquish any control they have over an employee with one year remaining on his contract.

Before anyone calls this my "conspiracy theory", it isn't. Almost all of it is substantiated by the article linked to below. So put your box of Kleenex away and stop your sobbing over a guy who, in reality, attempted to sabotage his employer (and the team you happen to root for) for his own benefit.

I mentioned Buddy Ryan at the beginning of this. Buddy, father of twins Rex and Rob, was an extremely talented Defensive Coordinator who (like Wink) firmly believed he was due the status of being an NFL head coach...to the point where, as DC, he openly feuded with Bears Head Coach Mike Ditka, and privately worked to undermine him. Their well-documented feuds make the Daboll-Wink affair look like a lovers' spat. Buddy eventually got his wish, and was hired as Head Coach of...yes, those Philadelphia Eagles. His so-so record of 43–35–1 in five seasons included an 0–3 record in playoff games. Yet another parallel: In 1986, Buddy's Eagles allowed an NFL record 104 sacks, and they "achieved" that during a 16 game season, not 17. And you probably already know the team that is in 2nd place: the 2023 New York Football Giants with 85 sacks allowed, with a defense commandeered by Wink Martindale.

Here's the link to the article he mentioned.

https://heavy.com/sports/new-york-giants/wink-martindale-resignation-brian-daboll-contract/?fbclid=IwAR2wc336529bQxr9UI-CIjUvkniyzZduP5uqSHOJLYN-bVC22tg0IBvsTuY

kingm56

Quote from: Philosophers on January 09, 2024, 12:46:31 PMWhy would Giants blow up defensive coaching when the O side and STs are the problem?

The Giants are #28 in Total Defense, #29 in Rushing Defense, #26 in scoring defenses, and #28 in sacks. They are, by every metric, a bottom 5 defense. To that end, I continue to be mystified by the notion the the defense isn't part of the problem. 

GloryDays

T200

LennG

I LOVED Wink's style of play, but MYSELF, I feel he has a system and does not have the horses to operate it. I really feel he never developed Thibs the way he should/could have. Yes, Thibs has his good days but he also disappears for just too many games. Thibs is our only real edge rusher and Wink would develop a better system to incorporate what Thibs does best. Same with Simmons. Seems he was mostly used as a situational player when he COULD be a force defense in the right system. Wink's guys had their moments, but they were few and far between for us to be successful.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss