News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Mike Lombardi shares about the Wink saga

Started by MightyGiants, January 10, 2024, 02:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Former GM Mike Lombardi is friends with both Wink and Daboll.  Mike shares the insights that those friendships bring and his insights as a former GM and a student of leadership.

Go to 28:40 to hear Mike talk about Wink and NYG.

Here is the podcast:

https://open.spotify.com/episode/65lqOk61I3j7nFQEoLpwyu

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

AZGiantFan

FWIW the Giant saga is at 28:40, not 21:40.

I thought that was a pretty one-sided analysis by Lombardi.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

MightyGiants

Quote from: AZGiantFan on January 10, 2024, 02:24:20 PMFWIW the Giant saga is at 28:40, not 21:40.

I thought that was a pretty one-sided analysis by Lombardi.

Rich,

Thanks for the heads up; I fixed the time.   Mike wasn't lying about being friends with both men.   Daboll even called Mike to ask him about his potential choice between the Dolphins job and the Giants job.

So, while it may seem one-sided, Mike did explain why he said the things he did, and he certainly doesn't have any reason to put Daboll in a bad light.   

I thought Mike's point about Wink fighting for his guys was an interesting one.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Just as an aside, as a Sopranos nut, I will say I do very much enjoy Lombardi's constant Sopranos references and comparisons to real-life situations. He does a very good job with a lot of those.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 10, 2024, 02:56:04 PMJust as an aside, as a Sopranos nut, I will say I do very much enjoy Lombardi's constant Sopranos references and comparisons to real-life situations. He does a very good job with a lot of those.

I never saw the Sopranos, but Mike's references have me tempted to check it out.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

GordonGekko80

Pretty one sided in my view. And clearly, he feels Daboll is at fault here.

Now, Daboll gets another shot with another for the most part new staff.

If he fails, he will be gone after next season.

MightyGiants

Quote from: GordonGekko80 on January 10, 2024, 03:44:57 PMPretty one sided in my view. And clearly, he feels Daboll is at fault here.

Now, Daboll gets another shot with another for the most part new staff.

If he fails, he will be gone after next season.

and @AZGiantFan

I have been thinking, what exactly do you mean by "one-sided"?  Are you saying Mike was biased or that Mike clearly is assigning the majority of the blame to Daboll?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

londonblue

My fear is enough people inside and outside our building across the league will see it as Mike does making it a bigger shadow over Daboll than Wink.

These are the opinions that matter not ours as they will determine the motivation of those already here and influence the quality of players and coaches we can attract.

I personally do not give a stuff how it plays out for Wink as he is now history but how it plays out for Daboll really matters for our future.

Neither the owners nor Schoen can be pleased with how this mess blew up so publicly, potentially complicating matters moving forward. It is bad management and they will need to think about if and how they could have helped avoid it just as much as Daboll will need to do some soul-searching.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

GordonGekko80

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 10, 2024, 03:48:53 PMand @AZGiantFan

I have been thinking, what exactly do you mean by "one-sided"?  Are you saying Mike was biased or that Mike clearly is assigning the majority of the blame to Daboll?
The latter.

I think Lombardi isn't accounting for the difficulty in managing Wink's character.

Typically, the truth lays in the middle.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 10, 2024, 03:48:53 PMand @AZGiantFan

Both.  He weights every issue in Wink's favor and gives almost no regard to the idea that the head coach is the head coach and subordinate coaches should be subordinate, not insubordinate. 
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

LennG

Wink hasn't officially quit and he hasn't officially been fired, so as of now, he is still our DC.
What happens if he decides he wants to stay, then that would leave Dabill no choice but to dire him and would be free to go where ever he wants.
It's a game of chicken
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

MightyGiants

Quote from: londonblue on January 10, 2024, 04:00:02 PMMy fear is enough people inside and outside our building across the league will see it as Mike does making it a bigger shadow over Daboll than Wink.

These are the opinions that matter not ours as they will determine the motivation of those already here and influence the quality of players and coaches we can attract.

I personally do not give a stuff how it plays out for Wink as he is now history but how it plays out for Daboll really matters for our future.

Neither the owners nor Schoen can be pleased with how this mess blew up so publicly, potentially complicating matters moving forward. It is bad management and they will need to think about if and how they could have helped avoid it just as much as Daboll will need to do some soul-searching.

Excellent and well laid out point.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: LennG on January 10, 2024, 06:08:47 PMWink hasn't officially quit and he hasn't officially been fired, so as of now, he is still our DC.
What happens if he decides he wants to stay, then that would leave Dabill no choice but to dire him and would be free to go where ever he wants.
It's a game of chicken

Len,

They resolved the issue.  Wink has his freedom and the Giants don't have to pay him.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

AYM

Quote from: AZGiantFan on January 10, 2024, 05:52:25 PMBoth.  He weights every issue in Wink's favor and gives almost no regard to the idea that the head coach is the head coach and subordinate coaches should be subordinate, not insubordinate. 

That seems about what it boils down to. Wink saw himself as co-HC and that led to his exits both here and in Baltimore.

MightyGiants

I think the thing that really struck me was Mike counciling his friend Daboll to reign it in on the sidelines.   This is in reference to Wink objecting to being dressed down on the sidelines by Daboll.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE