News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

It's official, Wink is now the Giants FORMER DC

Started by MightyGiants, January 10, 2024, 02:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T200

:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

londonblue

Common sense finally. I suspect Mara and Schoen had a chat and the grown-ups, including Wink's agent, got involved. Now Daboll has to find new coaches with a bit of a smell around him and Wink has to find a new job with a bit of a smell around him. Nobody won here but our rivals and they did not need the leg up.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

T200

Quote from: londonblue on January 10, 2024, 02:15:54 PMCommon sense finally. I suspect Mara and Schoen had a chat and the grown-ups, including Wink's agent, got involved. Now Daboll has to find new coaches with a bit of a smell around him and Wink has to find a new job with a bit of a smell around him. Nobody won here but our rivals and they did not need the leg up.
The Giants and Daboll won. He will hire folks who want to be here and will all (hopefully) be on the same page and have a singular voice. Martindale's presence was the exact opposite of team unity. The players liked Wink because of his aggressive style but he clearly did not foster team cohesiveness.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on January 10, 2024, 02:18:07 PMThe Giants and Daboll won. He will hire folks who want to be here and will all (hopefully) be on the same page and have a singular voice. Martindale's presence was the exact opposite of team unity. The players liked Wink because of his aggressive style but he clearly did not foster team cohesiveness.

Tim,

These are Daboll's words as of Monday morning.

Q: On Defensive Coordinator Wink Martindale and Offensive Coordinator Mike Kafka returning.

BRIAN DABOLL: My expectation is Wink and Kafka will both be back so those are two of the changes we made this morning but there's still conversations that are going to be had. We've only been here for a short time but those were two of the guys in the morning that I spoke with. Other than that, again, appreciate the way the guys finished and competed yesterday. We had an offseason meeting, leading into the offseason just a little while ago with the staff and the players and the coaches and all the administrators. It was a good year-end meeting. They're meeting now with their offense and defense, respectively, position coaches. (Senior Vice President/General Manager) Joe (Schoen) and I will have some meetings here with the rookie class, with the second-year class, the UFA class after this conference here. Other than that, open it up to any questions.

Q: What went into your thinking with deciding that both Mike and Wink will both return?

BRIAN DABOLL: It's my expectation that they're going to come back. I think they're good coaches, so it'll be good to have some continuity and bring them back. I know Wink talks about this as a destination place and things like that, it's good. I appreciate how hard they work, their commitment to the team, so that's my plan.

Q: Have you had conversations with them about that? I know you said last week you said that you haven't had conversations with people.

BRIAN DABOLL: Not yet. I haven't talked to those guys; I've talked to the guys that I let go, but that's my expectation and that's my plan.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

zephirus

While I understand the sentiment of "I want volunteers, not prisoners" approach to retaining coaches and players, I don't understand why when someone wants to leave the teams usually roll over and allow it without stipulation.  While there's no financial implications here, the Giants can and should be able to block him from certain teams if it creates a competitive disadvantage.  The Patriots certainly did that when Bill Parcells took a fake job with the Jets after voluntarily resigning his position.  Not sure I'd want to be vindictive but if you're looking to get out of your coaching contract, the new team should have to provide compensation, otherwise what good are the contracts to begin with?

MightyGiants

Quote from: zephirus on January 10, 2024, 02:28:38 PMWhile I understand the sentiment of "I want volunteers, not prisoners" approach to retaining coaches and players, I don't understand why when someone wants to leave the teams usually roll over and allow it without stipulation.  While there's no financial implications here, the Giants can and should be able to block him from certain teams if it creates a competitive disadvantage.  The Patriots certainly did that when Bill Parcells took a fake job with the Jets after voluntarily resigning his position.  Not sure I'd want to be vindictive but if you're looking to get out of your coaching contract, the new team should have to provide compensation, otherwise what good are the contracts to begin with?

The details of the "mutual parting" have not been made public.  It wouldn't shock me if there is some clause that precludes Wink from working for a division opponent in exchange for some or all of his $3 million salary (subject to offsets).
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: londonblue on January 10, 2024, 02:15:54 PMCommon sense finally. I suspect Mara and Schoen had a chat and the grown-ups, including Wink's agent, got involved. Now Daboll has to find new coaches with a bit of a smell around him and Wink has to find a new job with a bit of a smell around him. Nobody won here but our rivals and they did not need the leg up.

I agree, although I think Wink's stick is on one side.   I think Wink may have some stink in terms of other HCs wanting to hire him.  On the other hand, if I were a position coach, I would like to work for a DC who has my back to the point of walking away from a job rather than see me unfairly (in Wink's opinion) fired.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 10, 2024, 02:35:34 PMThe details of the "mutual parting" have not been made public.  It wouldn't shock me if there is some clause that precludes Wink from working for a division opponent in exchange for some or all of his $3 million salary (subject to offsets).

I got that guess wrong.  Apparently, Wink is confident that he will get another job this season.

https://x.com/JordanRaanan/status/1745164495352119511?s=20
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

madbadger

Caveat Emptor. Second ugly ending for Wink in the last two years. At a certain point people are going to recognize the problems weren't caused by Harbaugh or Daboll. When that day comes he becomes radioactive.

MightyGiants

Quote from: madbadger on January 10, 2024, 02:54:03 PMCaveat Emptor. Second ugly ending for Wink in the last two years. At a certain point people are going to recognize the problems weren't caused by Harbaugh or Daboll. When that day comes he becomes radioactive.

Ravens coach John Harbaugh and his now-former defensive coordinator, Don "Wink" Martindale, had discussions over several days about a variety of topics, including Martindale's future with the organization. The expectation among most people with the team was that Martindale would be back for his fifth season leading the Ravens' defense. But when Harbaugh contacted Martindale while the head coach was at organizational meetings hosted in the Bahamas by Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti, it was made clear that a decision had to be made. The Ravens' 2021 season had been over for almost two weeks and Harbaugh needed his coaching staff in place.

The organization typically didn't want its top assistants to be on one-year, lame-duck deals. Martindale was under contract through the 2022 season, but that was it. The Ravens were willing to tack on a team option for 2023. Martindale, however, balked. He wasn't interested in giving the Ravens all the leverage to decide whether he was staying or going ahead of the 2023 season. He wanted to keep his options open.

Neither side budged, leading to a surprising divorce. Harbaugh put out a statement on a Friday night 12 days after the Ravens' season ended saying the team and Martindale were going in "separate directions."

"It was just kind of an opportunity to talk about where we were both going and what was best," Harbaugh said this week. "I think we both came to that decision together, I'd say. That's how I would like to look at it. I feel that way about it, and I think it's turning out great for him. Nothing but admiration for what he's doing."

https://theathletic.com/3690951/2022/10/14/baltimore-ravens-new-york-giants-wink-martindale/?source=emp_shared_article
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

spiderblue43

What was the Gwyneth Paltrow's term..."amicable decoupling"? That it aint between these guys.

Hope the divorce doesn't mar our profile with prospective hires. #:-S

Giant Obsession

Gone

Great

Go ahead and sign with Philly

We will eat your lunch and toss away your Thermos.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

Giant Obsession

I guarantee if he signs with a division rival that game will be a Sunday or Monday night game.

Bet on it.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

AZGiantFan

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 10, 2024, 02:45:29 PMI got that guess wrong.  Apparently, Wink is confident that he will get another job this season.

https://x.com/JordanRaanan/status/1745164495352119511?s=20

The whole "Giants are afraid he'll go to Philly" turns out to be at best overblown, and at worst a leak from camp Wink.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll