News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT: Seahawks on moving on from Pete Carroll

Started by MightyGiants, January 10, 2024, 02:15:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

I am not sure which is more shocking, this announcement or the Titans firing Mike Vrabel

https://x.com/AdamSchefter/status/1745162176476721436?s=20
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

EDjohnst1981

londonblue

This is not a total shock but it certainly surprised me. I wonder if Seattle has a back door nod from eg Harbaugh or Vrabel...
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

MightyGiants

Quote from: londonblue on January 10, 2024, 02:17:29 PMThis is not a total shock but it certainly surprised me. I wonder if Seattle has a back door nod from eg Harbaugh or Vrabel...

Maybe, but per NFL rules and guidelines, the days of firing one coach with another one in mind should have ended.  The whole point of the requirement of interviewing minority candidates is that those interviews are meaningful.  Otherwise, Florio's lawsuit against the NFL does have merit.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

killarich

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 10, 2024, 02:23:58 PM

This is something you don't usually see

Seems like he is probably just mentally done

kingm56

Quote from: killarich on January 10, 2024, 02:27:26 PMThis is something you don't usually see

Seems like he is probably just mentally done

He's far from mentally done; all reports were he wanted to continue to coach. This is reflective of his current reality...he'll be 73 before next Season starts. It's highly unlikely someone was going to hire a coach in his age bracket as the ROI is limited. Thus, he's remaining as an advisor because he understands his reality.  Father Time remains undefeated.  This was a fair move by the Seattle....its time. 

katkavage

He worked miracles there the past couple of years. He's not young, though.

uconnjack8

MightyGiants

Quote from: kingm56 on January 10, 2024, 02:31:33 PMHe's far from mentally done; all reports were he wanted to continue to coach. This is reflective of his current reality...he'll be 73 before next Season starts. It's highly unlikely someone was going to hire a coach in his age bracket as the ROI is limited. Thus, he's remaining as an advisor because he understands his reality.  Father Time remains undefeated.  This was a fair move by the Seattle....its time. 

There are only 7 months separating Carroll's age from Belichick.  One is being declared done while the other is supposedly going to be a hot coaching commodity.   I am not saying there is a point where age makes it tough for a head coach to still be as good.  I am pointing out that a desire for Belichick may happen, but the team acquiring him might be disappointed
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 10, 2024, 03:33:31 PMThere are only 7 months separating Carroll's age from Belichick.  One is being declared done while the other is supposedly going to be a hot coaching commodity.   I am not saying there is a point where age makes it tough for a head coach to still be as good.  I am pointing out that a desire for Belichick may happen, but the team acquiring him might be disappointed

We really don't know what brought this about in Seattle.  Did Pete ask for it because he is feeling like he needs to slow down?  Did ownership observe that his slowing down?  Is there a health issue?

We don't know, but if he is staying with the team in some capacity I think we can assume this is an amicable departure.

Painter

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 10, 2024, 02:15:24 PMI am not sure which is more shocking, this announcement or the Titans firing Mike Vrabel

https://x.com/AdamSchefter/status/1745162176476721436?s=20

And how! Take your pick. How about Vrabel for Daboll?  =)) That is until Kraft decides Little Bill's future.

Cheers!

LennG

Nothing goes on forever.

Look what the Giants did to Coughlin after he won us 2 Super Bowls.

Win and you are the hero, lose and you are the goat and not the GOAT as we know it.

As much as I disliked Carroll, I respect the work he did in Seattle and should have had that 2nd ring.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

babywhales

Easier to replace a coach compared to replacing 52 players

Even successful coaches move on from teams
"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

ozzie

This is just me thinking out loud so to speak, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Dallas DC Dan Quinn become HC of Seattle (he was formally their DC) and Wink becomes DC of the Cowboys to terrorize the Giants twice a year.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara