News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Here is the Giants' side of the Wink saga

Started by MightyGiants, January 11, 2024, 08:19:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Chris Bisignano calls himself "the Giants Insider," while he would be more accurately described as the Giants' Insider.  In other words, when the Giants want to leak a story or information to the press, they call Chris (and Paul Schwartz) to give them the information they want "leaked.  So Chris did a breakdown describing events as the Giants say they happened and with the Giants slant.  If you understand that, I think there is still value in hearing what he has to say (there are plenty of new details).

https://open.spotify.com/episode/5D5vFHTQivwT7YsfJbdUzX
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

He said coordinators were more independent in the 1980s and were basically head coaches and Wink thought he was that.  Maybe Wink saw himself that way but that was not how it was in the 1980s

Doc16LT56

I have to say I find the Giants point of view to be totally fair. That said, the standard playbook for the Giants is to manipulate fan opinion through the media, so who really knows what went on in the building.

Bottom line for me is Daboll is HC, Wink was DC. If you can't work within the chain of command structure, then you shouldn't be here. Particularly if you're a position coach.

Daboll gets his way in the end but I don't see this as a win for Daboll. I think he's expended just about any political capital he had left. If next season gets off to a bad start, the fan base is going to turn on him fiercely. Daboll's back is now against the wall. He has to win now or likely lose his job. That's my read on the situation based on the info I've seen so far.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Doc16LT56 on January 11, 2024, 09:12:54 AMI have to say I find the Giants point of view to be totally fair. That said, the standard playbook for the Giants is to manipulate fan opinion through the media, so who really knows what went on in the building.

Bottom line for me is Daboll is HC, Wink was DC. If you can't work within the chain of command structure, then you shouldn't be here. Particularly if you're a position coach.

Daboll gets his way in the end but I don't see this as a win for Daboll. I think he's expended just about any political capital he had left. If next season gets off to a bad start, the fan base is going to turn on him fiercely. Daboll's back is now against the wall. He has to win now or likely lose his job. That's my read on the situation based on the info I've seen so far.

Well put, although I couldn't help but note the glaring irony that NYG aired every single dirty linen they had while at the same time complaining that Wink didn't keep things "inhouse".
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Doc16LT56

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 11, 2024, 09:19:39 AMWell put, although I couldn't help but note the glaring irony that NYG aired every single dirty linen they had while at the same time complaining that Wink didn't keep things "inhouse".
Lol, we're on the same wavelength. I thought the same thing. I suppose all is fair in love and war, etc. I'm assuming these leaks are sanctioned by Mara. Goes back to your point about knowing who signs your paycheck.

H-Town G-Fan

Truth is usually somewhere in the middle between these positions. All I would add is that Wink (or the Wilkins brothers on his behalf) went to the media first and started playing these games.

Ed Vette

No surprised here, it's exactly as it was reported by various segments of the media. Just had to put two and two together.

Keeping it in house during the season is smart. After the season, the organization has a right to tell their side if indeed they set up this podcast for that reason.

As for Wink's attitude of being independent of Daboll, perhaps he got that impression if it was told to him that they need Daboll to concentrate on the Offense and Daniel Jones so they need and he needs an experienced DC so that Daboll doesn't have to be concerned about that side. I seriously doubt they told him he was like a Co-Head Coach but who knows with Mara.

Bill Belichick certainly wouldn't get away with this xxxx under Bill Parcells. He would have chewed him up and spit him out. This was certainly not an 80's culture.

As Doc said, Dabs doesn't come out of this a winner either. He gets credit from me for holding that team together while this nonsense was going on but there has to be some credibility to the "clown show" implication and the disrespect of the Wilkins unless it was Wink influenced and Wink's silly little ego.

I wouldn't be surprised if they love Daboll and they draft a QB and he gets two more years, or they see him as over his head and he gets fired in a couple of days after the Owners meet with Schoen.

Either way, a lot of drama.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

AZGiantFan

They made an interesting point about the "fear" of Wink going to work for the Eagles -- if he couldn't get along with Daboll how could he co-exist with Siriano.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll