News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Raanan reports other coaches unhappy with Daboll

Started by MightyGiants, January 12, 2024, 07:34:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

In his latest podcast, Jordan reports he has talked to other coaches and people in the building and they are also were unhappy with Daboll.   

Beyond being cursed out there were issues with being genuine.   By that, he means Daboll isn't a straight shooter.   Sounds like the coaching staff was turned off by some of Daboll's pettiness.   They thought it was bush league to have Mckinney break down the team right after he publicly fueded with Wink.   Raanan also mentioned Daboll had some issues with his former head coach in Buffalo.

Here is a link to his latest podcast.   He also has Bobby Skinner on to discuss.

http://www.espn.com/espnradio/newyork/podcast/archive/_/id/21067231
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 12, 2024, 07:34:40 AMIn his latest podcast, Jordan reports he has talked to other coaches and people in the building and they are also were unhappy with Daboll.   

Beyond being cursed out there were issues with being genuine.   By that, he means Wink isn't a straight shooter.   Sounds like the coaching staff was turned off by some of Daboll's pettiness.   They thought it was bush league to have Mckinney break down the team right after he publicly fueded with Wink.   Raanan also mentioned Daboll had some issues with his former head coach in Buffalo.

Here is a link to his latest podcast.   He also has Bobby Skinner on to discuss.

http://www.espn.com/espnradio/newyork/podcast/archive/_/id/21067231

Wink or Daboll?

londonblue

McDermott and Daboll definitely had issues. I did not like the way Daboll handled the Wink exit and I do worry that the 'pettiness' or as I termed it 'disingenuous' approach will hurt him inside the building, locker room and beyond.

This is why I keep saying it is incumbent on Schoen to support him with advice, training and incumbent on Daboll himself to reflect. I would ideally like him to add one or more calm, experienced and approachable guys to his senior staff to help balance him out and provide appropriate challenge and guidance.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

EDjohnst1981

It seems strange that all of these stories are coming out this week. The beat reporters have access to these guys throughout the season.

Are the Giants positioning themselves to sack Daboll in the coming days?

MightyGiants

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on January 12, 2024, 08:02:22 AMIt seems strange that all of these stories are coming out this week. The beat reporters have access to these guys throughout the season.

Are the Giants positioning themselves to sack Daboll in the coming days?

I don't think Raanan is reporting Giant's sanctioned leaks
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

spiderblue43

Seems like Daboll needs to simmer down the Daboil,according to the report. The  tit-for-tat stuff with Wink hopefully is over. I trust Schoen knows Daboll well enough not to let these leaks be a detriment going forward.

PSUBeirut

Win games and all this nonsense magically disappears.  Pretty straightforward what he's gotta do next year.  Win games.

Ed Vette

Wink Martindale is 61 years old and been in the league a very long time and he knows that his actions can tear apart a team and destroy a season. Yet, this is what he did. He was not just petulant but back stabbing and insubordinate.

Try to work it out? There was no working it out because according to Raanan, his mind was made up. You want to leave Wink? Wait until the end of the season and deal with it then. Otherwise all your BS is self serving. He basically caused a division among the coaching staff and most certainly got in the ear whispering negativity to anyone who would hear it.

So Daboll was disingenuous for attempting to hold the team together and shield his players from the BS? He was giving Wink a FU by giving him the game ball? I saw it as a peace offering and giving him credit in front of the players and the public. Was Wink's reaction, "Do you believe this fucking guy?" and continue his insidious actions?

Sorry Wink, but you're a fucking weasel. Be a man and not a child.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

One other point to all this. Obviously, the Giants do not want to fire another HC after two seasons and continue the vicious cycle. The difference here is that Joe Schoen had a set of balls and not only stood by his HC instead of looking to save his own ass, but he cleaned house of the cancer.

Something Dave Gettleman and Jerry Reese didn't have the character and integrity to do.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: londonblue on January 12, 2024, 07:40:15 AMMcDermott and Daboll definitely had issues. I did not like the way Daboll handled the Wink exit and I do worry that the 'pettiness' or as I termed it 'disingenuous' approach will hurt him inside the building, locker room and beyond.

This is why I keep saying it is incumbent on Schoen to support him with advice, training and incumbent on Daboll himself to reflect. I would ideally like him to add one or more calm, experienced and approachable guys to his senior staff to help balance him out and provide appropriate challenge and guidance.

Neal,

I like your thinking.  However, when I think about it, I have never really seen an external force (like a hire) turn around a head coach.  It seems to me the change will need to come from Daboll himself, much like Coughlin.  I think Daboll's changes may prove more challenging than Coughlin's.  In Coughlin's case, he was fundamentally sound and a good man; he just needed to polish off the rough edges.  In Daboll's case, game playing, vindictiveness, and controlling one's temper are more difficult aspects of one's personality to change.

Although, I will say one thing is odd.  I think it's a bit unusual to be popular with his players but not well-liked by his own coaching staff. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: PSUBeirut on January 12, 2024, 08:35:26 AMWin games and all this nonsense magically disappears.  Pretty straightforward what he's gotta do next year.  Win games.

Agreed. Comes down to record/on-field performance. Losing brings all kinds of noise out, and every little thing is some huge drama. When a team is winning it all goes away.

Ed Vette

Anyone who has had to swim with sharks understands that in order to right the ship and deal with the self serving, you need to fight back and not allow yourself to be eaten alive.

It ended the way it did because Wink wasn't going to be allowed to dictate how this would go down.

Anyone who hires this guy, is a fool.

He got what he deserved.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

londonblue

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 12, 2024, 08:48:36 AMNeal,

I like your thinking.  However, when I think about it, I have never really seen an external force (like a hire) turn around a head coach.  It seems to me the change will need to come from Daboll himself, much like Coughlin.  I think Daboll's changes may prove more challenging than Coughlin's.  In Coughlin's case, he was fundamentally sound and a good man; he just needed to polish off the rough edges.  In Daboll's case, game playing, vindictiveness, and controlling one's temper are more difficult aspects of one's personality to change.

Although, I will say one thing is odd.  I think it's a bit unusual to be popular with his players but not well-liked by his own coaching staff. 

Mighty

Daboll has to want to change but having others around you that you respect and who can influence you helps the process. My sense is Daboll relies more on Schoen, given their relationship, than his coordinators (who were all new to him) for advice and a sounding board. I do not think that is healthy which is why I believe he needs guys he trusts in those roles.

Neil 😉
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

MightyGiants

I had missed this during the season, but apparently how McDermott and Daboll met after the Bill's game had sparked talk of friction between the two coaches

QuoteAdam Zientek of AtoZ Sports speculated that there "could be some bad blood" between the two, noting that the short exchange was out of character for McDermott.

"The Bills head coach normally spends a little bit of time with the opposing coach, giving a few words of encouragement before heading out," Zientek wrote. "What makes this so strange is that the two have history, and were perceived to be close. I don't know about you but that exchange didn't scream friendship to us."

https://x.com/thadbrown7/status/1714084165509910985?s=20

https://heavy.com/sports/buffalo-bills/sean-mcdermott-brian-daboll-icy-postgame-exchange/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE