News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NFL's Saturday Night Playoff game effectively pay-per-view

Started by MightyGiants, January 12, 2024, 03:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

Quote from: TDToomer on January 13, 2024, 04:52:36 PMYES! They have to stop it now before more playoff games and the SB is pay-per-view. People are scrambling to find a single bar that has bar in Boston. So far there is 1!

Don't make it seem like Congress has never investigated sports. They threatened to take MLB tax exemption away if they didn't clean up the steroid abuse and start mandatory testing. Then went further with the Mitchell Report which was Government funded.

That was a major scandal involving systemic use of illegal substances though. Why would lawmakers get involved with a business decision by the NFL to stream a game?

uconnjack8

Quote from: TDToomer on January 13, 2024, 04:52:36 PMYES! They have to stop it now before more playoff games and the SB is pay-per-view. People are scrambling to find a single bar that has bar in Boston. So far there is 1!

Don't make it seem like Congress has never investigated sports. They threatened to take MLB tax exemption away if they didn't clean up the steroid abuse and start mandatory testing. Then went further with the Mitchell Report which was Government funded.

I have never been a fan of congressional grandstanding.  In the case of the steroid stuff, it was illegal activity.   

This is simple, if people don't want watch it will go away.

StompYouOT

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 13, 2024, 06:01:34 AMInteresting.

So if I'm understanding correctly, I can join for $5.99 a month, get 50% off that, and then cancel it after this game (or after one month). So I'll be paying $3 to watch this game basically.

I have two issues with this:

(1) The principle of it

(2) The hassle factor and dealing with all this crap when I just want to flip on the TV and watch a game.

I'm going to have to think about this, but I'm strongly leaning towards not doing it. I find the whole thing irritating and petty. I realize the trend is moving in the direction of cord-cutting and just going completely to streaming, but we're not completely there yet, and the NFL fanbase certainly isn't. I think it's lame.

1000%  Exactly how I feel.  It's xxxxxxxx.  Between this and officials deciding games I hate the NFL.  I live in Buffalo so stay into it because of Allen and The Bills being good after 2 decades of ineptitude.  But uh.  And the Peacock thing is 50% off for the year - on my screen right now.

It's wrong.  They're ransoming their MVP and should be ashamed of themselves.  How about not calling PI on an obvious early contact against Cleveland, but then they flag Cleveland for a phantom hold the next series.  That xxxx swings games, it's obvious.  It's like I watch despite them anymore.

LennG

I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

AZGiantFan

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 13, 2024, 05:02:32 PMThat was a major scandal involving systemic use of illegal substances though. Why would lawmakers get involved with a business decision by the NFL to stream a game?

I don't think it is unreasonable if a business has been given an antitrust exemption that their actions are scrutinized to see if they are abusing that exemption.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

AZGiantFan

Ironically I'm a long time Peacock subscriber because they show most of the Premier League games, but my PPV is more like $5G because it is showing in my cabin on my cruise to Hawaii.  LOL
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

GordonGekko80

Probably interesting for you guys, but every NFL game is pay per view for us in Europe.

I pay 300 USD per season to watch the games... There is no other way than NFL Gamepass through DAZN.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: GordonGekko80 on January 14, 2024, 06:49:15 AMProbably interesting for you guys, but every NFL game is pay per view for us in Europe.

I pay 300 USD per season to watch the games... There is no other way than NFL Gamepass through DAZN.

Unless you go the bootleg streaming route, which I don't recommend (great way to get infected with all kinds of viruses).

GordonGekko80

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 14, 2024, 07:08:05 AMUnless you go the bootleg streaming route, which I don't recommend (great way to get infected with all kinds of viruses).

Had my share of that, and don't recommend it either.

Countless times where I had to reset my computer.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: GordonGekko80 on January 14, 2024, 07:51:44 AMHad my share of that, and don't recommend it either.

Countless times where I had to reset my computer.

Some options are better than others but broadly speaking it's only worth using in a real pinch IMO, and better to avoid altogether.

MightyGiants

I think the owner's greed is going to cost them bigtime in the long run.  In business, they talk about headwinds (things that make operating and growing more challenging) and tailwinds (things that make operating and growing easier).  From what I can see:

Tailwinds:

None (although recently gambling and fantasy sports were tailwinds)

Headwinds

CTE fears reducing the talent pool made worse by fewer young people
The stadium experience is too expensive for families and too violent in the stands for families (often, fans are created by good childhood memories of going to the game with family)
Ever increasing entertainment alternatives
Owners constantly screwing over fans-  Pay per view playoff games, flexing regular season games to different days, too many night games., extending the season, general oversaturation, and too many commercials (which impacts both TV viewers and stadium attendees)

I really think that in 20 years, people will be marking these recent years as the start of the decline of the sport.

I think this is why you see so much focus on the NFL trying to become international.  They need the influx of foreign talent as well as a bigger pool of people to draw from when it comes to their fanbase.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Woody

NFL is going to the whole young thing today ......Tony Dungy said right about Taylor swift ....NFL fans want to watch Football....not Taylor vSwift cuddling up to Kelces mom.
And not to make a playoff game available to be seen to the average NFL fan for free is definitely heading in the wrong direction.
not good
But hey, Roger Goddell needs to make enough $$$$'s to pay his 40 million a year.
Sometimes we forget and take football as a competitive sport to enjoy rather than for the money machine it really is.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Woody on January 14, 2024, 08:34:16 AMNFL is going to the whole young thing today ......Tony Dungy said right about Taylor swift ....NFL fans want to watch Football....not Taylor vSwift cuddling up to Kelces mom.
And not to make a playoff game available to be seen to the average NFL fan for free is definitely heading in the wrong direction.
not good
But hey, Roger Goddell needs to make enough $$$$'s to pay his 40 million a year.
Sometimes we forget and take football as a competitive sport to enjoy rather than for the money machine it really is.

In some ways, the NFL is a victim of its own success.   The NFL was founded by reasonably wealthy men who engaged in the business more out of competition than to make money.  Now, the value of teams is over a billion dollars, and only the obscenely wealthy can join the elite club. When you spend that sort of money, it's not for a hobby or to compete; it's to make yet more money (you don't become that wealthy without it being an obsession).
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE