News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Steelers-Bills postponed to Monday afternoon due to winter storm

Started by LennG, January 13, 2024, 12:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spiderblue43

I warned about this. Wind conditions for the camera crew are dangerous..not just for the fans. And the game would have been awful.

TDToomer

I think the league has gone soft. Ice Bowl, Tuck Rule game and now this. Would they have even played the 2007-08 NFC Championship game in GB if it occurred today?
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

DaveBrown74

Quote from: TDToomer on January 13, 2024, 12:48:00 PMI think the league has gone soft. Ice Bowl, Tuck Rule game and now this. Would they have even played the 2007-08 NFC Championship game in GB if it occurred today?

Probably not. Typical soft move. It's Buffalo. It's cold and snows there. They play in it. I'm not sure what the point of this was.

I guess on the other hand, had it been booked this way originally, I actually wouldn't have had a problem with that. Two games each day on a three day holiday weekend seems balanced purely from a fan/spectator standpoint.

spiderblue43

Moving the game creates 3 double headers..which I like better. And it will still have the cold aesthetic we love to watch. Makes sense to me. Now the Peacock Bowl should have been moved to earlier in the day.  :no: $$$$$$

LennG

It's not the game itself that was the cause of this postponement, it was the fact that 60-70,000 fans would have to be out on the roads during it. Is THAT what you want?
Where the reference to 'soft' players is so far out of there.

I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Rosehill Jimmy

Quote from: LennG on January 13, 2024, 01:12:19 PMIt's not the game itself that was the cause of this postponement, it was the fact that 60-70,000 fans would have to be out on the roads during it. Is THAT what you want?
Where the reference to 'soft' players is so far out of there.

I agree though I think the reference to 'soft' was meant for the league
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

TDToomer

Quote from: Rosehill Jimmy on January 13, 2024, 01:15:28 PMI agree though I think the reference to 'soft' was meant for the league

Exactly except according to my dad it wasn't the leagues call. The Governor said no way. 
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

StompYouOT

I live in Buffalo and it's nasty out.  Today is supposed to be the worst day though.  My initial reaction was the same - they would have played the game in the past and the league has gotten soft.  I love watching the games in the snow. It's more the 60mph winds and the game would have been awful most likely.  There's a driving ban in effect too so the rationale was more likely due to spectators and drivers being safe; someone died outside the stadium this season being clipped by a car.

It kinda sucks, but 3 doubleheaders isn't bad by any means.

GordonGekko80

MightyGiants

Quote from: TDToomer on January 13, 2024, 12:48:00 PMI think the league has gone soft. Ice Bowl, Tuck Rule game and now this. Would they have even played the 2007-08 NFC Championship game in GB if it occurred today?

1 to 3 feet of snow makes it dangerous for anyone (fans, players, workers) to get to and from the game.  Also, an NFL game takes emergency resources away from the snow disaster in the form of all the police that are required to provide security.

It's not a question of soft, it's a question of being smart enough to hold a major football game in a dangerous blizzard that will likely result in some deaths even with the game canceled
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE