News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT - Wildcard Weekend Games

Started by DaveBrown74, January 13, 2024, 04:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fletch

BS ref call there. NFL MANUFACTURING A DYNASTY / CHIEFS SARE NOYT THAT GOOOD.

uconnjack8

If Mahomes has this much time all night the Chiefs are going to score a lot.

GordonGekko80

I think the Chiefs deserved this win, massively.

And Mahomes steps up when he needs to. That's just a type of quality you see in Elite QB's only.

I really wonder what Allen will do for Buffalo against the Steelers.

My forecast

AFC Divisional
Houston @ Baltimore
Kansas @ Buffalo

NFC Divisional
Bucs @ 49ers
Lions @ Cowgirls

AFC Championship
Kansas @ Baltimore

NFC Championship
Lions @ 49ers

SB
Kansas @ 49ers

SB Champions: 49ers

uconnjack8

4 years after tanking for Tua and Miami hasn't won a playoff game. 

Torus34

Saturday wrap-up: Chiefs and Texans move on. Two games in which the QB was well worth watching. Some fine defensive play, too. Ol' Man Upset was in the stands in Texas. I submit he has more effect on a game than does Ms. Taylor Swift.

Go flag-free, Big Blue! [Note: That does not include next year's pennant!]

JT39

uconnjack8

Quote from: JT39 on January 14, 2024, 09:18:40 AMMiami needs a QB

That and do they have any grit on the OL?  That team seems to get out physical'd in the trenches when the competition gets better. 

How many more years of tanking to win a playoff game?

I realize they had a number of injuries on defense, but they scored 7 points yesterday with what is supposed to be a great offense.

MightyGiants

It's funny; all year, I have been hearing about Texan's QB CJ Stroud.  What impressed me yesterday was the Texan's defense, it was very impressive.

https://x.com/MadDogRadio/status/1746534273379602603?s=20
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: JT39 on January 14, 2024, 09:18:40 AMMiami needs a QB

I have never been a big Tua guy. They're just in a tricky spot with him though. Guy has put up big time numbers there, and they're clearly not in a position to draft anyone coveted. I could see them pulling a move like what McVay did a few years ago where they go after what they believe to be a simply better QB than what they have (Stafford over Goff) in a high profile trade, but short of that they only have three options at the position:

(1) Stick with Tua and hope for the best while building the rest of the team

(2) Draft someone who is available when you pick and hope you have a read on the guy that none of the 20-plus teams in front of you were able to have.

(3) Be on the lookout for a potential free agent that they view as an upgrade.

Option 1 is probably what they will do, at least for now. I doubt Tua plays his way off the team, but he could get that knockout blow concussion that ends his career.

Option 2 is a possibility, although you rarely see this move. It takes some balls and confidence because you are generally going to be mortgaging the next three to five years to go all-in on the next one or two. Not many coaches/GMs are willing to do that. It's also not easy to find a partner in such a trade idea.

Option 3 rarely works (as far as winning a Super Bowl). This is more a move teams make that want to return to stability after a terrible period. That's when teams find themselves bringing in the Derek Carrs and Jimmy Gs of the world. Are guys like that better than Tua? Probably not.

Option four would be to blow the whole thing up and start over. Given the Dolphins have, until very recently, been a non-entity of a franchise since the Marino days, I see zero chance of this as long as they have seasons like the one they just had.

The Dolphins had a lot of injury issues and kind of gave away the division. I think they are capable of better regular seasons than this one with the current group. If they can get home field throughout or a two seed one year, that could be their chance.

uconnjack8

I thought Miami did build the team around Tua already? 

How many more pieces do they need?

Torus34

The answer to the OP question might depend upon the weight given to a defensive squad keeping the opponent's points low vs. the defensive squad scoring points themselves. Lot's of other factors, too.

Regards.

Go flag-free, Big Blue!

Blue Since ‘62

Quote from: GordonGekko80 on January 14, 2024, 06:18:50 AMI think the Chiefs deserved this win, massively.

And Mahomes steps up when he needs to. That's just a type of quality you see in Elite QB's only.

I really wonder what Allen will do for Buffalo against the Steelers.

My forecast

AFC Divisional
Houston @ Baltimore
Kansas @ Buffalo

NFC Divisional
Bucs @ 49ers
Lions @ Cowgirls

AFC Championship
Kansas @ Baltimore

NFC Championship
Lions @ 49ers

SB
Kansas @ 49ers

SB Champions: 49ers

As much as it pains me to say this, the Ravens will win it all. With Andrews likely back, the rich just got richer.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: uconnjack8 on January 14, 2024, 09:45:00 AMI thought Miami did build the team around Tua already? 

How many more pieces do they need?

Their D is far from great. There is room for improvement there.

The Dolphins had a ton of injuries to key players throughout this year, too.

Look - I'm not defending Tua. I have never been a Tua guy. I think he is limited. Maybe they can go after Cousins or make some other move. They're not going to blow the whole team up though. The Fish have been hot garbage for two decades plus prior to 2022. They need to hope for better health next year and perhaps some defensive upgrades. This might enable them to push for a top three seed and have a better shot at a deep run.

Bob In PA

Quote from: uconnjack8 on January 14, 2024, 06:31:53 AM4 years after tanking for Tua and Miami hasn't won a playoff game. 
uconn: I'm going to raise the "left-handed" thing for one more time. Bob  PS. Penix is also left-handed, as am I.
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

spiderblue43

Browns turned back into a pumpkin. Looked like one, too. Texans defense well-prepared. Stroud Proud. Went through the Browns DBs like they were standing still.