News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

How PFF views Schoen's two draft classes

Started by MightyGiants, January 14, 2024, 10:11:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

I was inspired by the 2023 Heroes and Goats threads to look at the season PFF grades for Schoen's two draft classes

1    Kayvon Thibodeaux- 58.5   
1    Evan Neal- 39.8
2    Wan'Dale Robinson- 66.4   
3    Joshua Ezeudu-    42.4
3    Cordale Flott-    53.3
4    Daniel Bellinger- 49.1
4    Dane Belton- 51.7   
5    Micah McFadden- 65.6
5    D.J. Davidson-    51.6
5    Marcus McKethan- 45.4   
6    Darrian Beavers- Did not play

1    Deonte Banks-      51.4
2    John Michael Schmitz-    41.4           
3    Jalin Hyatt- 59.7
5    Eric Gray- 57.2   
6    Tre Hawkins- 52.6
7    Jordon Riley- 33.1
7    Gervarrius Owen- did not play

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

How much of this is an indictment on coaching and how much on talent?
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on January 14, 2024, 10:16:27 AMHow much of this is an indictment on coaching and how much on talent?

It's hard to say.  I will say that I personally believe that draft success is 50/50.  Half of it is talent identification and acquisition and the other half is player development.  The problem is that from the outside looking it, one is challenged to see what is causing/contributing to a prospect's success or failure.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Doc16LT56

So McFadden is the only one who graded as average. Every else was below average. The four OL picks were among the lowest grades.

The question of how much is on coaching and how much in talent is the right question to ask. It's ultimately up to Joe Schoen to figure it out and find a way to improve things.

DaveBrown74

I'm not really defending this, but how does the average PFF grade for rookies compare to say that of all fourth and fifth year players?

MightyGiants

Quote from: Doc16LT56 on January 14, 2024, 10:26:12 AMSo McFadden is the only one who graded as average. Every else was below average. The four OL picks were among the lowest grades.

The question of how much is on coaching and how much in talent is the right question to ask. It's ultimately up to Joe Schoen to figure it out and find a way to improve things.

Robinson also earned himself an average grade
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 14, 2024, 10:32:24 AMI'm not really defending this, but how does the average PFF grade for rookies compare to say that of all fourth and fifth year players?

The grades for the 4th and 5th-year players are generally better.  Of course, the longer you are on a team (or even in the league), the more filtering you see as poor players are let go and eventually find themselves out of the league or barely hanging on via the PS.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 14, 2024, 10:19:49 AMIt's hard to say.  I will say that I personally believe that draft success is 50/50.  Half of it is talent identification and acquisition and the other half is player development.  The problem is that from the outside looking it, one is challenged to see what is causing/contributing to a prospect's success or failure.
What players that remained or left had an upswing in production from the Joe Judge regime to the Daboll team and as FA's that moved on? It's obvious Dex did as he was put in his proper position. Okereke had a better year here. Some of the O line who left faired better. Jones was up and down. Saquon, had injury issues. Slayton did better as did Engram away. The O line regressed with the exception of Thomas. Adoree went downhill. Can you compare the PFF Judge results total Offense and Total Defense to the two years of Daboll? Not player by player just total O&D separately for each of the four years. You can include special teams. Would we assume there are better players for Daboll? I think in some cases yes and some no.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on January 14, 2024, 10:48:24 AMWhat players that remained or left had an upswing in production from the Joe Judge regime to the Daboll team and as FA's that moved on? It's obvious Dex did as he was put in his proper position. Okereke had a better year here. Some of the O line who left faired better. Jones was up and down. Saquon, had injury issues. Slayton did better as did Engram away. The O line regressed with the exception of Thomas. Adoree went downhill. Can you compare the PFF Judge results total Offense and Total Defense to the two years of Daboll? Not player by player just total O&D separately for each of the four years. You can include special teams. Would we assume there are better players for Daboll? I think in some cases yes and some no.

This is from Len's article

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

TDToomer

I cannot for the life of me understand how Banks is rated so poorly. I thought he had an outstanding rookie season and should make all-rookie. I'm going by my eyeball test. He's had as good of a rookie season that Aaron Ross had in 07.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

madbadger

Quote from: TDToomer on January 14, 2024, 12:06:20 PMI cannot for the life of me understand how Banks is rated so poorly. I thought he had an outstanding rookie season and should make all-rookie. I'm going by my eyeball test. He's had as good of a rookie season that Aaron Ross had in 07.

Especially since Wink put him on an island all year long. PFF is often and enigma wrapped in a riddle.

MightyGiants

Quote from: TDToomer on January 14, 2024, 12:06:20 PMI cannot for the life of me understand how Banks is rated so poorly. I thought he had an outstanding rookie season and should make all-rookie. I'm going by my eyeball test. He's had as good of a rookie season that Aaron Ross had in 07.

When it comes to CBs, one measure I value as much as their overall grade is the QB rating when targetted-  84.7

For some context, 84.7 is 5th best among rookie CBs.

His PFF grade is 17th among rookies.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

LennG

I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

TDToomer

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 14, 2024, 12:21:18 PMWhen it comes to CBs, one measure I value as much as their overall grade is the QB rating when targetted-  84.7

For some context, 84.7 is 5th best among rookie CBs.

His PFF grade is 17th among rookies.

17 rookie Cornerbacks qualified for a PFF rating? How many of them started 15 games?
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs