News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

How PFF views Schoen's two draft classes

Started by MightyGiants, January 14, 2024, 10:11:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Quote from: TDToomer on January 14, 2024, 12:30:28 PM17 rookie Cornerbacks qualified for a PFF rating? How many of them started 15 games?

The filter I used was 20% of 1146 snaps

If you want a higher threshold

50% of 1146 snaps-  9th (or last place)

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

AZGiantFan

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 14, 2024, 12:24:15 PMOne more insight on Banks

Except for the Buffalo game and the second Dallas game he seemed to have his best ratings against the better teams.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

GloryDays

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 14, 2024, 10:19:49 AMIt's hard to say.  I will say that I personally believe that draft success is 50/50.  Half of it is talent identification and acquisition and the other half is player development.  The problem is that from the outside looking it, one is challenged to see what is causing/contributing to a prospect's success or failure.
I think it's less on coaching and much more on finding talent that fits the NFL that shows in the players performance and stats in college play, or for different reasons may not have had a chance to show itself. 80/20 imo

sooners56

Safe to say PFF didn't like Schoens 2 drafts! I'd have to say I agree with PFF. The drafts just haven't been good enough.  I won't fault Schoen for the Thibs and Neal pick as those seemed like grand slam picks. GM is a tough job it seems.
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!

DragonSoul

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 14, 2024, 10:11:13 AMI was inspired by the 2023 Heroes and Goats threads to look at the season PFF grades for Schoen's two draft classes

1    Kayvon Thibodeaux- 58.5   
1    Evan Neal- 39.8
2    Wan'Dale Robinson- 66.4   
3    Joshua Ezeudu-    42.4
3    Cordale Flott-    53.3
4    Daniel Bellinger- 49.1
4    Dane Belton- 51.7   
5    Micah McFadden- 65.6
5    D.J. Davidson-    51.6
5    Marcus McKethan- 45.4   
6    Darrian Beavers- Did not play

1    Deonte Banks-      51.4
2    John Michael Schmitz-    41.4           
3    Jalin Hyatt- 59.7
5    Eric Gray- 57.2   
6    Tre Hawkins- 52.6
7    Jordon Riley- 33.1
7    Gervarrius Owen- did not play

I take ratings with a grain of salt but was JMS and Banks that bad? Even some others seem a bit low.

ralphpal1

Also how much is that on the QB ?
I mean russel.wilson was one of the most sacked QB
What would the pff ratings be on those lines
Our lined played better when taylor was in the games
Our offense then will not put our drefense better

Stringer Bell

Quote from: ralphpal1 on January 15, 2024, 11:21:19 AMAlso how much is that on the QB ?
I mean russel.wilson was one of the most sacked QB
What would the pff ratings be on those lines
Our lined played better when taylor was in the games
Our offense then will not put our drefense better

The fact that Neal, Ezeudu, and McKethan have looked awful and JMS below average has absolutely nothing to do with Daniel Jones. It's amazing the lengths to which some fans go to use DJ as a scapegoat for everything.

Neal was beaten like a drum all season long due to his terrible footwork, slow recognition, and poor technique. This has nothing to do with the QB.

GloryDays

Quote from: Stringer Bell on January 15, 2024, 11:32:20 AMThe fact that Neal, Ezeudu, and McKethan have looked awful and JMS below average has absolutely nothing to do with Daniel Jones. It's amazing the lengths to which some fans go to use DJ as a scapegoat for everything.

Neal was beaten like a drum all season long due to his terrible footwork, slow recognition, and poor technique. This has nothing to do with the QB.

The Giants have poor eyes for Oline talent.. they have to make changes there.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Stringer Bell on January 15, 2024, 11:32:20 AMThe fact that Neal, Ezeudu, and McKethan have looked awful and JMS below average has absolutely nothing to do with Daniel Jones. It's amazing the lengths to which some fans go to use DJ as a scapegoat for everything.

The most damning issue with Jones is that other, dramatically lower paid QBs on this team were more effective than he was behind the same line.

Even if Taylor were about the same as Jones, that wouldn't have been a good look at all. But he was in fact demonstrably better. There is simply no getting around or sugarcoating that fact.

His career numbers happen to be better than Jones' too, and Taylor has been on mostly bad teams his whole career.

babywhales

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 15, 2024, 12:09:01 PMThe most damning issue with Jones is that other, dramatically lower paid QBs on this team were more effective than he was behind the same line.

Even if Taylor were about the same as Jones, that wouldn't have been a good look at all. But he was in fact demonstrably better. There is simply no getting around or sugarcoating that fact.

His career numbers happen to be better than Jones' too, and Taylor has been on mostly bad teams his whole career.
Two other backups were much more aggressive and also made correct presanp reads.

Presnap reads exist before any pass rush is present, Jones inability to correctly do that to me is a huge issue. for a QB in his 5th year, this is one issue that is very hard to overlook. It really show s you where his mind is at. He made a very bad line worse.

Tommy and Taylor both had a bad line, albeit not as bad some pieces were back, but a bad line nonetheless and made them slightly better with the reads, adjustments, pocket presence and being aggressive in their throws.

Hell TT was slinging the ball down field over 15-20 yards 15% of the time, the highest % since Eli in 2011

Jones had a bad line but got flustered, played it safe and then by doing so consistently became part of the problem. I can buy the Giants wrecked him, I watched it too, but it is what it is now and he is shell shocked. The Giants owe him 69 mill so after they get another QB I suspect they will let the new QB learn behind Jones, let the Oline develop and hopefully let jones develop some kind of trade market.

"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

Stringer Bell

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 15, 2024, 12:09:01 PMThe most damning issue with Jones is that other, dramatically lower paid QBs on this team were more effective than he was behind the same line.

All of that may be true, but it has absolutely nothing to do with this post or the play of the draft picks. They all own their performance themselves. It's just sad that some see DJ as the scapegoat for everything.