News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT-JJ McCarthy declares

Started by spiderblue43, January 14, 2024, 03:20:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spiderblue43

JJ has declared for the draft.

Some have speculated here whether the Giants should have an interest in him. To me..I never really saw him elevate to elite status (run centric O). Looks like a Day 3 pick .no?

Put up terrific numbers against cream puffs..handed off too much for me when I watched him  Is he just a guy or a real value later in the draft?

:-??

DaveBrown74

Not sure about day three but I don't view him as an option for us at 6th overall or even on a first round trade-down. It felt like a lot of the gameplanning at Michigan was around him and not through him. He has some tools but doesn't seem like a star. He seems like a day two guy to me. Maybe someone reaches on him in the mid-late first round but I tend to doubt it.

madbadger

Quote from: spiderblue43 on January 14, 2024, 03:20:44 PMJJ has declared for the draft.

Some have speculated here whether the Giants should have an interest in him. To me..I never really saw him elevate to elite status (run centric O). Looks like a Day 3 pick .no?

Put up terrific numbers against cream puffs..handed off too much for me when I watched him  Is he just a guy or a real value later in the draft?

:-??

I think his NFL career is likely to mirror that of Harbaugh's. A guy who sneaks into the late first much to the surprise of the mockeratti who then goes on to have a solid, if not spectacular career. 

uconnjack8

I don't think handing it off a lot is a strike against him.  Just makes him harder to evaluate.   

spiderblue43

I agree some might reach for him earlier than they should..talk about his winning legacy .character..but not a high ceiling. I think he relied a tremendous amount on Jim Boy and thinks he's peaked with him gone.

As far as handing off a lot..yes I was frustrated in the evaluation process.

londonblue

He will probably go in the top 20 as QB4 but it will be an attributes (arm) and personality pick rather than a tape evaluation as there just are not that many big time throws at pressure moments because Harbaugh rarely put the game in his hands.

I can see Daboll liking the bazooka arm and not worrying much about his issues with placement (Josh Allen when drafted) but he does not have Allen's powerful physique and fullback type attributes in the run game so that has to be factored in.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

Philosophers

JJ has a big arm, leadership, high football IQ and is athletic.  Not enough tape to take a chance IMHO for say pick 6 but do think he will go top 20.  He didn't throw because he could not.  He didn't because they had such a strong running game.

brownelvis54

I was a huge fan of his but now I don't know if he's a day one starter. Having said that, he's very young which is good. in having Jones back next year whether we like it or not means we can have the kids sit for a full year like they do in Green Bay, which is a smart move. Let the kids learn while sitting on the bench and he should be ready for 2025.. I do know that Harbaugh gave him a lot of praise and he's not known to praise his players, but he said this kid special if that means anything
The KING is in the building

StompYouOT

Round 2 or preferably 3 yes, but not worth a reach in my opinion.  The way QBs go he will go earlier than he should, but I think it's a reach.

I'd like to have him on an upgraded roster next year though, sure.

Stringer Bell

Quote from: StompYouOT on January 14, 2024, 06:35:26 PMRound 2 or preferably 3 yes, but not worth a reach in my opinion.  The way QBs go he will go earlier than he should, but I think it's a reach.

I'd like to have him on an upgraded roster next year though, sure.

Why waste a day 2 pick on someone who hasn't done anything to show he can perform at QB at the NFL level? He was a game manager in college, yet this is our franchise QB?

This team has far too many holes to waste a high pick on a QB who is not an NFL starter.

Philosophers

What was Josh Allen in college in his last year?  A 56% completion percentage for 1,812 yards, 16 TDs and 6 INTs.  Need to stop focusing on stats alone and look at attributes that make a good player.

Ed Vette

I think he needed another year at the college level but at Michigan it's not going to help him unless that Offense changed. Late first or early second and hopefully he gets in a good situation.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

BluesCruz

As stated before I prefer Penix Jr

More NFL ready and deadly accurate quick release

McCarthy would be Daniel Jones 2.0
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

JT39

A Qb has peaked at age 20?

I think people look solely at stats and judge a QB that way.

I don't know what to make of McCarthy but his attributes...

Strong arm
Athletic
Accurate
Makes winning plays (see Alabama and Washington game)

Those tend to be good things teams look for. He's not a perfect prospect. But are we really downgrading him cause they won games (15-0) by running the ball? I guess seeing him throw 50 times against no defense is a better metric?

Gman329

I never came away from a Michigan game thinking JJ was the reason they won.