News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Why do you think the Cowboys do so poorly in the playoffs

Started by MightyGiants, January 14, 2024, 08:25:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

For a long, long time, it has seemed like Dallas is usually one of the most talented teams in the league. They do quite well in the regular season, and then they get bounced quickly in the playoffs.  Why do you think that it keeps happening?

https://x.com/JordanRaanan/status/1746698567698305381?s=20
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

BluesCruz

The Boys beat us by like 60 points and we handled the Packers pretty well.

I can only conclude the Boys were taking the Packers too lightly and Dak played very tightly wound until the Packers went "prevent"

Also their great LBer Micah Parsons did not show up.  Their pass rush was awful and they did not blitz

Strange....I think they thought they had a free pass at home this year

Their DC Dan Quinn should not get his check this week

McCarthy looked dumb struck....gotta get your team ready for playoff intensity Mike
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

BluesCruz

Sorry Rich I was typing my missive while you did this one.  Didnt see it

please Merge them :ok:
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

T200

Jerry did Jimmy dirty and his punishment is to never win another championship.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 14, 2024, 08:25:56 PMFor a long, long time, it has seemed like Dallas is usually one of the most talented teams in the league. They do quite well in the regular season, and then they get bounced quickly in the playoffs.  Why do you think that it keeps happening?

https://x.com/JordanRaanan/status/1746698567698305381?s=20
I'll take the 12 wins for three years. Every win is a good day. But to answer the question, they come to play with a passion for some games and other games they are flat. Look at their schedule. They usually feast on bad teams and play close to good teams. I think some of it falls on Prescott who has great games and folds under pressure. He had opportunities today to come back and he missed seeing open Receivers. I felt that if Aaron Rodgers was in the game, Dallas at least comes a lot closer.

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on January 14, 2024, 09:16:13 PMI'll take the 12 wins for three years. Every win is a good day. But to answer the question, they come to play with a passion for some games and other games they are flat. Look at their schedule. They usually feast on bad teams and play close to good teams. I think some of it falls on Prescott who has great games and folds under pressure. He had opportunities today to come back and he missed seeing open Receivers. I felt that if Aaron Rodgers was in the game, Dallas at least comes a lot closer.

Not only did he miss receivers, but those two pick-sixes were killer
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

I suspect it may come down to character.   The Cowboys are brilliant at drafting poor character players and babysitting them so they stay out of trouble.   They are able to draft and sign players who simply would crash and burn on other teams.  Hiding character flaws may work well when it comes to regular games; when the playoffs arrive, the team's true character shines through and no longer is hidden.

I am far from certain that is the reason, but it's my suspicion
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

AZGiantFan

Quote from: T200 on January 14, 2024, 09:09:43 PMJerry did Jimmy dirty and his punishment is to never win another championship.

Nah, they won another after that with Barry Switzer.

It was the NFC Championship Game hubris with the tickets on each player's stool that ticked off the football gods and got them cursed.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

uconnjack8

Quote from: Ed Vette on January 14, 2024, 09:16:13 PMI'll take the 12 wins for three years. Every win is a good day. But to answer the question, they come to play with a passion for some games and other games they are flat. Look at their schedule. They usually feast on bad teams and play close to good teams. I think some of it falls on Prescott who has great games and folds under pressure. He had opportunities today to come back and he missed seeing open Receivers. I felt that if Aaron Rodgers was in the game, Dallas at least comes a lot closer.

Ed
I agree I would take relevance and being on a shortlist of potential super bowl teams annually.  It does have to make these playoff losses all the worse though.  Cannot imagine this place if it was the Giants who lost that game with 12 wins.

To answer the OP -  I think it's not one but a number of things.  On offense they didnt have anyone step up early in the game and make a play.  It's tough to when your QB is throwing the ball to the other team, but Ceedee dropped a pass or two early.

They were thoroughly out coached.  On both sides of the ball. 

Overall it feels like in big games the team doesn't have real leadership.  Dak is good in the regular season when they play less talented teams, but comes up short in big spots.   

T200

Quote from: AZGiantFan on January 15, 2024, 08:55:30 AMNah, they won another after that with Barry Switzer.

It was the NFC Championship Game hubris with the tickets on each player's stool that ticked off the football gods and got them cursed.
Barry who? He gets an asterisk.

Jimmy Johnson built that team into a fine-tuned championship machine. The only thing that was going to stop them from winning that season was a major injury. Switzer was the elf on the shelf.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

ozzie

I believe the problem with the Cowboys is that they have no grit. As someone said, "Jerry loves the sizzle", and so he puts together flashy, higlight reel teams to market "The Brand". They get great "garbage time" stats and beat up on the weaker teams in the league, but when someone comes to play big boy football, they fold. They cannot handle the pressure it takes to win.
I am listening to Dallas radio this morning (and loving it!) and a good point was made that Prescott is another of their problems. His stats are great, potential MVP  :sick:  and all that, but thru 4 coaching regimes, he hasn't ever delivered in the playoffs. He fits the Dallas mold perfectly - all flash and no grit along with a sense of entitlement that all teams should roll over because they are playing the Dallas Cowboys.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

MightyGiants

Quote from: ozzie on January 15, 2024, 09:30:38 AMI believe the problem with the Cowboys is that they have no grit. As someone said, "Jerry loves the sizzle", and so he puts together flashy, higlight reel teams to market "The Brand". They get great "garbage time" stats and beat up on the weaker teams in the league, but when someone comes to play big boy football, they fold. They cannot handle the pressure it takes to win.
I am listening to Dallas radio this morning (and loving it!) and a good point was made that Prescott is another of their problems. His stats are great, potential MVP  :sick:  and all that, but thru 4 coaching regimes, he hasn't ever delivered in the playoffs. He fits the Dallas mold perfectly - all flash and no grit along with a sense of entitlement that all teams should roll over because they are playing the Dallas Cowboys.

Isn't the Texas saying-  All hat and no cattle?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

Mark Sanchez has the same amount of playoff wins as Romo and Prescott combined.

Messiah717

The Cowboys defense has to take a big hit here.  A short field INT and pick six didn't help but they let the Packers offense steamroll them.