News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Why do you think the Cowboys do so poorly in the playoffs

Started by MightyGiants, January 14, 2024, 08:25:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AYM

Quote from: ozzie on January 15, 2024, 09:30:38 AMI believe the problem with the Cowboys is that they have no grit. As someone said, "Jerry loves the sizzle", and so he puts together flashy, higlight reel teams to market "The Brand". They get great "garbage time" stats and beat up on the weaker teams in the league, but when someone comes to play big boy football, they fold. They cannot handle the pressure it takes to win.
I am listening to Dallas radio this morning (and loving it!) and a good point was made that Prescott is another of their problems. His stats are great, potential MVP  :sick:  and all that, but thru 4 coaching regimes, he hasn't ever delivered in the playoffs. He fits the Dallas mold perfectly - all flash and no grit along with a sense of entitlement that all teams should roll over because they are playing the Dallas Cowboys.

Prescott finished with 403 yards passing, 3 TDs, and a 68% completion pct yesterday  :confused:

I think the issue is compounded by the HC. Choking in the playoffs is something Mike McCarthy was doing for years before he came to Dallas.

EDjohnst1981

I think there's an arrogance and complacency around Dallas in the post-season. Like Ed mentioned above with the plane tickets on the stools in the Divisional Round against the Giants.

Perhaps some of the criticism is warranted - Dallas had a very good season, 12 wins, a division title and some fantastic numbers for Dak. But they seemingly come up short in the post-season. Maybe it's because there are no easy games and the Packers were hot coming in. Dallas didn't look ready to play at all, a stat was on the broadcast last night - they are 2-5 (now 2-6) when the opponent scores first.

Maybe they are just front running bullies.

Either way, I found last night to be delightful. I just would have liked to have seen more of Jerry.

TDToomer

Quote from: AYM on January 15, 2024, 01:37:32 PMPrescott finished with 403 yards passing, 3 TDs, and a 68% completion pct yesterday  :confused:

I think the issue is compounded by the HC. Choking in the playoffs is something Mike McCarthy was doing for years before he came to Dallas.

Don't forget the 2 interceptions with one returned for a TD.   :P  <:-P
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

BluesCruz

Quote from: TDToomer on January 15, 2024, 04:03:52 PMDon't forget the 2 interceptions with one returned for a TD.   :P  <:-P

and most of those yards were when Packers were in a prevent D
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Symphony Steve

At this point, Jerry Jones is 81 years old and desparately wants another Super Bowl.

He doesn't have time to do a rebuild. At least he doesn't think he does.  He's also not gonna change.

Maybe he brings in Belichick as a last-resort.  But I don't see that geriatric tag-team working out, even if Belichick doesn't insist on some say over personnel.  For all his genius, Belichick has now been eclipsed by younger, more creative, geniuses.

I think the Cowboys' problem is that they are way too soft and, if anything, Jerry is too willing to overlook behavioral issues and players taking shortcuts. 

BluesCruz

Quote from: Symphony Steve on January 15, 2024, 07:52:57 PMAt this point, Jerry Jones is 81 years old and desparately wants another Super Bowl.

He doesn't have time to do a rebuild. At least he doesn't think he does.  He's also not gonna change.

Maybe he brings in Belichick as a last-resort.  But I don't see that geriatric tag-team working out, even if Belichick doesn't insist on some say over personnel.  For all his genius, Belichick has now been eclipsed by younger, more creative, geniuses.

I think the Cowboys' problem is that they are way too soft and, if anything, Jerry is too willing to overlook behavioral issues and players taking shortcuts.

I dont know.  Belichick might be just what they needed.
He will certainly command respect and bring discipline
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

beaugestus

Like Justin Tuck would say "They have no heart" I have thought for years they were overrated coming into every season, like someone said in an earlier post the Jerry hype machine was in play.

londonblue

Pressure. Everything Jerry says and does creates a Super Bowl or bust vibe every second of every day across that organisation. To function under such relentless expectation and meet it requires every part of the organisation to have the resilience to fire on all cylinders day after day as every blip or glitch gets scrutinised and magnified. Sooner or later something critical fails, be it HC or coordinators or QB.

An in-season failure can be patched up and glossed over but in the play-offs the external pressures also intensify as you go home if something blows up under this extra intensity. Unless and until Jerry figures out it is his job to reduce not magnify pressure and expectation it can only change if you get a peak BB/Brady combo who thrive on pressure. They are rare birds.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.