News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT - What do you do now if you're Jerry Jones?

Started by DaveBrown74, January 15, 2024, 07:47:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

If you're Jerry Jones, how are you proceeding from here with this franchise?

Ed Vette

Dak is the weak link. He's a terrific man but he chokes in big situations like DJ.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

TDToomer

Why are the Cowboys the only team with such a post mortem after a playoff loss? What do Stan Kroenke, Jimmy Haslim and Stephen Ross do now? How are the proceeding with their franchises?
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Ed Vette

Quote from: TDToomer on January 15, 2024, 11:46:13 AMWhy are the Cowboys the only team with such a post mortem after a playoff loss? What do Stan Kroenke, Jimmy Haslim and Stephen Ross do now? How are the proceeding with their franchises?
It may have slipped below the radar and few may know that it's your job to pick apart the OP of threads and weak posts. Just know that your efforts have not gone unnoticed and your efforts are commendable. Keep up the good work!
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: LennG on January 15, 2024, 11:10:54 AMAs I said, BB doesn't need full control. That is something that has been speculated in the media. At his age, why would he need that headache? Dallas is the perfect scenario for BB. A team that can win it all just needing the right coaching staff.

Len,

There was speculation that part of the reason Belichick and the Pats parted ways was the Pats wanted to hire a true GM, and the Pats didn't believe Belichick would be on board with that.   I can't say with certainty that is true, but that is what I heard.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

LennG

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 15, 2024, 12:55:59 PMLen,

There was speculation that part of the reason Belichick and the Pats parted ways was the Pats wanted to hire a true GM, and the Pats didn't believe Belichick would be on board with that.   I can't say with certainty that is true, but that is what I heard.

I have also heard, and have no idea if it is true, that BB wouldn't mind handing the reins over to a compet ent guy and just leaving the coaching to him. We all know he wants that all-time win number and with Dallas, it's the easiest way there. At his age, would he really want a rebuild?
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

GloryDays

Brooklyn Dave

I would trade this years number 1, number2, next year's number 1 plus Dak Prescott to The Bears for their number 1 and Justin Fields and draft either Williams or Maye

Fletch

Who cares about some entitled billionaires problems. It's a cap league where you need an edge and Jerry willing the glory days are over.

He got entitled because everything Jinny Johnson did for this team.

He reminds me of that boss who throws everyone under the bus when there's a mistake but takes the credit when good things happen

MightyGiants

Quote from: Fletch on January 18, 2024, 07:59:16 AMWho cares about some entitled billionaires problems. It's a cap league where you need an edge and Jerry willing the glory days are over.

He got entitled because everything Jinny Johnson did for this team.

He reminds me of that boss who throws everyone under the bus when there's a mistake but takes the credit when good things happen

The mega-rich owners still enjoy an edge, even in the cap era.  While money spent on players is capped, the money spent on your front office, scouting, and coaching staff is unlimited.  The money spent on your facilities (including the player's training facilities) is unlimited.

There is a reason it's rare to hear a Dallas assistant coach being hired away or someone from their excellent scouting program being hired away.  These guys are making more money with Dallas than they would if they left for the "promotion".

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Fletch

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 18, 2024, 08:47:56 AMThe mega-rich owners still enjoy an edge, even in the cap era.  While money spent on players is capped, the money spent on your front office, scouting, and coaching staff is unlimited.  The money spent on your facilities (including the player's training facilities) is unlimited.

There is a reason it's rare to hear a Dallas assistant coach being hired away or someone from their excellent scouting program being hired away.  These guys are making more money with Dallas than they would if they left for the "promotion".

OK fine , but he had a great coach in Jimmy Johnson and he acted like they won a Super Bowl because of Jerry. The dolt then goes and fires him and it was never the same. But then again that was a long time ago. I suspect it would still be the same thing now if it was 5 SBs instead of 3.

miss86

TDToomer

Quote from: Fletch on January 18, 2024, 10:58:46 AMOK fine , but he had a great coach in Jimmy Johnson and he acted like they won a Super Bowl because of Jerry. The dolt then goes and fires him and it was never the same. But then again that was a long time ago. I suspect it would still be the same thing now if it was 5 SBs instead of 3.

Jimmy Johnson was never fired. He resigned when word got out that Jones drunkenly told a group of people that anyone could have coached his loaded teams to a Super Bowl after winning 2 in a row in 1993. Turns out he was partially right. Barry Switzer was the bum who won it all 2 years later with many of the same core players.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Fletch

Quote from: TDToomer on January 18, 2024, 12:08:13 PMJimmy Johnson was never fired. He resigned when word got out that Jones drunkenly told a group of people that anyone could have coached his loaded teams to a Super Bowl after winning 2 in a row in 1993. Turns out he was partially right. Barry Switzer was the bum who won it all 2 years later with many of the same core players.

Come on everyone knows Jerry got but hurt when Jimmy was celebrating with all coaches and Jimmy Johnson refused to raise his glass to Jerry's toast who was trying to take credit. It's one thing to win on a stacked team it's quite another to stack the team yourself. I can't imagine anyone in football thinks of Jerry as anything more than an over-meddling football amateur.

files58

BB in Dallas would be all about BB and not JJ. BB wants Shula's record, and any winning would be about BB. Can you imagine JJ's ego when the headlines read BB this and BB that. Jones would not be able to handle it.

y_so_blu

Other: Go away and sell the team so I can't meddle with it anymore. The only common denominator of all the playoff disappointments from 1994 to now, has been myself (Jerry). Obviously that is the problem.