News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

How do the packers do it

Started by MightyGiants, January 15, 2024, 09:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

They make a pretty strong case for not rushing QBs onto the field. They did the same thing with Rodgers that they did with Love. Even Favre didn't start as a rookie and then only started some of the games in his second year. Obviously we all know Mahomes waited a year before going in. That's not to say that starting QBs in year one never works (I can name plenty of examples where it worked just fine), but they do seem to get good results doing it their way.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 15, 2024, 10:31:51 AMThey make a pretty strong case for not rushing QBs onto the field. They did the same thing with Rodgers that they did with Love. Even Favre didn't start as a rookie and then only started some of the games in his second year. Obviously we all know Mahomes waited a year before going in. That's not to say that starting QBs in year one never works (I can name plenty of examples where it worked just fine), but they do seem to get good results doing it their way.

I suspect the other part of that QB equation is even more important.  The Packers draft their QBs when they don't need to draft a QB, which seems to be the best time to do so.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

LennG

To draft a QB at the end of round one is just a crap shoot. Either we should be so lucky, or they have some of the best scouts in the game.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

ralphpal1

Qb after Qb
Also they have a very good team
3 very good WRs
And another very good QB
Also look.how the lions turned it around

Gmo11

It's a lot easier to sit your rookie QB when you have a hall of famer currently starting.  It's a lot harder to sit a rookie QB when the guy in front of him is Daniel Jones.  Should the Giants do it?  Maybe.  But you're gonna have to suffer through another 6 win season while a prized rookie watches from the bench.  How do you think THAT is gonna go over around these parts? 

Maybe they should have done that with Jones while Eli was still around, but that lasted all of 2 games before people were yelling from the mountain tops to play the rookie.  And they did have dumb and dumber as the coach/GM at the time so maybe competent people ignore the noise and let Eli play out the string...but that's a LOT of noise to tune out while you're losing games.  Not to mention...Jones wasn't all that great in college either so there's no guarantee the results would have been any different if he had sat around waiting for a year.

Gmo11

Trades.  Both times they managed to convince the Jets to take their hall of fame QB while they had another great QB waiting in the wings thus giving them assets and salary flexibility.  Now there is some luck involved because taking a QB mid to late first round is risky but they trust their scouts they trust their coaches to develop and they make the transition seemingly at the perfect time in both cases.

babywhales

they sit them behind established starters 

Rodgers sat for 3 seasons before being a starter

Love sat 2 seasons before being a starter 
"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

babywhales

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 15, 2024, 10:31:51 AMThey make a pretty strong case for not rushing QBs onto the field. They did the same thing with Rodgers that they did with Love. Even Favre didn't start as a rookie and then only started some of the games in his second year. Obviously we all know Mahomes waited a year before going in. That's not to say that starting QBs in year one never works (I can name plenty of examples where it worked just fine), but they do seem to get good results doing it their way.

Farves 2nd season, 1st with Packers he got in the 2nd game in a blow out lose and then got the start over Don in week 3 and won.

The Packers never looked back

"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

TDToomer

Quote from: babywhales on January 15, 2024, 11:32:05 AMthey sit them behind established starters

Rodgers sat for 3 seasons before being a starter

Love sat 2 seasons before being a starter

Actually Love sat 3 seasons. It's almost an identical formula from how they developed Rodgers.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

TDToomer

Also some forget that Favre was actually drafted by the Falcons and played 1 season for them before being traded to the Packers. The Packers always wanted Favre and missed drafting him by 1 slot in the 2nd round.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

babywhales

Quote from: TDToomer on January 15, 2024, 11:48:02 AMActually Love sat 3 seasons. It's almost an identical formula from how they developed Rodgers.

Had to double check there for a second

Jordan Love Career Game Log | Pro-Football-Reference.com

sooners56

For starters, they almost, if not always, have a great Oline. Not just good but great. 2nd they only have 1 Super Bowl victory with Rodgers. Love may get one eventually but I doubt it is this year.
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!

uconnjack8

Packers, as far back as I can remember, have been about building through the draft and rarely sign big ticket FAs.  They were lucky when Rodgers slid in the draft and they were able to select him. 

The story isn't written for Love yet, but early returns are obviously good. 

They were extremely fortunate to have back to back HOF QBs and will be even moreso if Love goes down that path.