News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Should the Giants cut Waller?

Started by LennG, January 15, 2024, 04:13:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/giants-might-be-better-off-cutting-51-million-starter-says-writer/ar-AA1n0YxK?ocid=msedgntp&pc=HCTS&cvid=10b7350324cc4862a4f03aa60eab1977&ei=16

The New York Giants might have to consider parting ways with playmaking tight end Darren Waller after just one season with the organization.

Facing a crucial offseason in 2024, every dollar of cap space must be spent wisely, and USA Today Giants Wire's John Fennelly pointed out tight end as an area where Big Blue could free up some money.

"It would take a lot of courage to let Darren Waller go after just one season," Fennelly admitted, "but the Giants look like they got left holding the bag here as Waller was banged up all season — a scenario they were hoping to avoid. The going-on-32-year-old Waller made just 11 starts and played on 51 percent of the offensive snaps."

Waller's cap hit jumps up to nearly $14.5 million in 2024 according to Over the Cap, and increases another one million in 2025 and another three million in 2026. Designating him as a post-June 1 cut would only cost the Giants approximately $2.5 million in dead cap each year, however, saving the front office a total of $40 million spread out over three seasons.
In 2024, specifically, Waller's release would free up $12 million — money that could be spent on a younger, healthier wide receiver.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Giant Obsession

Seems like a no brainer decision.

Unfortunately we still have people in charge with no brains football wise.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

BluesCruz

in that case cut him lose

He was getting Bellinger and and Hodgins receptions away anyway

Waller makes a good target but has no YAC like those two

Can he block?  They can
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

sooners56

If all that is true, the answer is a no brainer! Cut him and save $12 million.
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!

Jclayton92

Waller looked bad because of the qb play and injury. Healthy with a good Qb and he may be worth keeping with a pay cut.

GloryDays

Cut Waller and draft Ben Sinnott in the 4-5 round.

Ed Vette

Even when he was healthy and catching the ball, I was expecting much more of a warrior out of him. He was more like Larry Donnell and Bellinger had the Bavaro moments.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

londonblue

Just reminding everyone that designation as a June cut means the cap space only becomes available then. It can cover the in season wriggle room fund but it is not directly available to sign people during free agency (though it potentially lets you run up hard against the cap then to do it).
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

gregf

I'd keep him at half that price.  If not. The money would be of much better use on the o line

BluesCruz

I agree
Lower the price and he might be a keeper.

He does have great length and soft hands
Reminds me of Plaxico in that regard, especially on the high balls
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

TDToomer

I find it hard to believe that Schoen made this trade for just 1 year of Waller. I expect a restructuring of his deal.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Brooklyn Dave

Quote from: TDToomer on January 16, 2024, 09:52:13 AMI find it hard to believe that Schoen made this trade for just 1 year of Waller. I expect a restructuring of his deal.

I agree.

ozzie

I see no reason whatsoever to keep him. As usual, he spent most of this season injured. I can't believe it will be any different next season.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

jgrangers2

Quote from: TDToomer on January 16, 2024, 09:52:13 AMI find it hard to believe that Schoen made this trade for just 1 year of Waller. I expect a restructuring of his deal.

They restructured it last year after the trade. I get that the hope was that he would be a weapon for a few years, but you can't trust him to stay healthy. I'd cut bait and save the $6-7M.

Painter

Quote from: Jclayton92 on January 15, 2024, 07:50:23 PMWaller looked bad because of the qb play and injury. Healthy with a good Qb and he may be worth keeping with a pay cut.

Still looking for ways to beat that same drum, huh, Jess. Not to worry, we get it. But as if it really matters, Waller actually faired a tad better re targets/completions average in his 5 games with Jones than in the 7 games he played subsequently.

While Jones having been lost for 12 games versus Waller for just 5 is perhaps worth mentioning, they would seem to be separate issues re the question of Waller's cost/performance as is, and as projected.

I realize that every move they make has all sorts of cost implications and constraints, and rarely more so than with the burden of Daniel Jones's $47 million cap hit which according to "usual sources" would still leave them with nearly $50 million in cap room, an amount which would disappear in an eye blink in signing FAs and re-signing their own. We are talking about guys like McKinney and Simmons, not to mention Barkley AND a couple of these FA OGs: Kevin Zeitler, Andrus Peat, Robert Hunt, and Connor Williams. Gotta happen. We can expect a lot of turnover comings and goings before we get to the Draft. And while perhaps it should be, Waller's status has not stood out to me based on 12 games this season one way or another irrespective of who was at QB.

Whether or not we think there is even a slight chance that Daniel Jones, if and when heathy, will or can- after 5 years of trying- prove to be worth keeping after this year, is simply the large animal in the room which we will be forced to study for as long as it takes Schoen/ Daboll to decide one way or ...

Cheers!