News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Rivera--DC

Started by LennG, January 17, 2024, 08:04:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

Seems Ron Rivera wants to stay in the game and said he's willing to take a step down, even work as a Defensive Coordinator.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10105578-ron-rivera-wants-to-keep-coaching-in-nfl-after-commanders-firing-open-to-dc-role.

How would he look in Blie and would that be too much of a big-time guy under Daboll?
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

ozzie

I like Rivera,  but not sure if he's too "Old School". Not sure what Daboll and company are looking for.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

uconnjack8

Rivera would be an "exceeds expectations" hire. 

Have a very high opinion of him.

Giant Obsession

Should have the job.

Will never have the job.

Daboll needs to insulate himself.

Job will be filled from within, probably Henderson.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

DaveBrown74

Quote from: uconnjack8 on January 17, 2024, 09:04:35 PMRivera would be an "exceeds expectations" hire. 

Have a very high opinion of him.

How did he do in past DC roles?

Not challenging your view. Just asking. I honestly don't remember. It's been a while since he was a DC.

uconnjack8

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 17, 2024, 09:28:52 PMHow did he do in past DC roles?

Not challenging your view. Just asking. I honestly don't remember. It's been a while since he was a DC.

In Chicago in terms of points owr game:

2004 middle of the pack
2005 1st in NFL
2006 3rd in NFL

SD not as good but improvement

2008 16th
2009 11th
2010 10th

One note on SD, in 2007 they were a top 5 defense with Rivera as LBs coach.

Not sure why the big dip from 2007 to 2008.

killarich

Quote from: uconnjack8 on January 17, 2024, 09:39:48 PMIn Chicago in terms of points owr game:

2004 middle of the pack
2005 1st in NFL
2006 3rd in NFL

SD not as good but improvement

2008 16th
2009 11th
2010 10th

One note on SD, in 2007 they were a top 5 defense with Rivera as LBs coach.

Not sure why the big dip from 2007 to 2008.

What kind of defense does he run ?

MightyGiants

Ron would be an interesting hire option.  Although I have serious doubts, Ron would want to come to work for Daboll.  I can't imagine a long-time head coach would want to be screamed at like he is a no-nothing coaching intern.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

I had mentioned it last week. I think he'd be a great addition.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

killarich

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 18, 2024, 09:06:23 AMRon would be an interesting hire option.  Although I have serious doubts, Ron would want to come to work for Daboll.  I can't imagine a long-time head coach would want to be screamed at like he is a no-nothing coaching intern.

How sure are we that Daboll is that toxic ?

The dude was Coach of the year last year and everything was going great.

I honestly think its being over played here with the Daboll slander

I liked Wink ... and im not saying Daboll probably isnt a hardass ..but I dont think that means he isnt a good coach

Yes the schedule was weak...but we did make the second round last season ..... with Hodgins as our top WR ... and Jones at QB

Hopefully Daboll would view Rivera with a higher level of respect ... but then again I could be wrong about all this

MightyGiants

Quote from: killarich on January 18, 2024, 09:16:40 AMHow sure are we that Daboll is that toxic ?

The dude was Coach of the year last year and everything was going great.

I honestly think its being over played here with the Daboll slander

I liked Wink ... and im not saying Daboll probably isnt a hardass ..but I dont think that means he isnt a good coach

Yes the schedule was weak...but we did make the second round last season ..... with Hodgins as our top WR ... and Jones at QB

Hopefully Daboll would view Rivera with a higher level of respect ... but then again I could be wrong about all this

It's only slander if it's not true.  I went into great detail about this in this post (and in this thread)

https://giantsfans.net/message_board/index.php?msg=937107

I will point out my biggest takeaway to date: neither side is disputing the claims put out by the other side.  So it would seem both side's are giving us the truth, the difference is that the two sides are supplying the facts they feel best support them and put the other side in the worse possible light.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

killarich

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 18, 2024, 09:19:35 AMIt's only slander if it's not true.  I went into great detail about this in this post (and in this thread)

I will point out my biggest takeaway to date: neither side is disputing the claims put out by the other side.  So it would seem both side's are giving us the truth, the difference is that the two sides are supplying the facts they feel best support them and put the other side in the worse possible light.

Like I said Im not saying he isnt a hardass.... but like you said the players seem to like him and play hard for him... in the end thats what you want... especially the playing hard part

It seems like both Daboll and Wink both have strong personalities .... I was upset Wink left ......but if he really did start making a little rogue coaching unit hiding from the head of the team (Daboll) then yes Daboll has every right to be mad at that...its HIS coaching staff

The whole thing about Daboll lacking composure , being crazy ...etc...  may be slightly true

BUT

If Wink and his secret team were a real thing... what stops them or their connections from making false claims about Daboll when they already undermined him when they were employed under him ???

This is def at a minimum partial slander .... gathering a few articles , connecting the dots and listening to people like Pat Leanord does not give 100% of the story

I think Daboll and Wink both had problems ....its 50/50 and not just Daboll

uconnjack8

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 18, 2024, 09:19:35 AMIt's only slander if it's not true.  I went into great detail about this in this post (and in this thread)

We just don't know how they fit together. 

I keep thinking of that example about Daboll saying on the headset to Wink "you are going to lose this game like you lost the Jets game".  As someone who has been managing people for 25 years, that sounds awful, really awful. But we had an entire thread about context here and we don't know that part of it.  to my knowledge we have no idea what was said directly prior to that comment.

Just as an example here:  what if Prior to Daboll making that comment, Wink's comment on the radio was something to the effect of :  "Is your offense going to lose this game for us again?  Or are they going to score at all?"

It's still not a good response but its very different than just out of the blue "you lost the Jets game".  There are certainly other ways to handle that kind of stuff as a manager.

I think we have to realize that the NFL coaching jobs are not regular workplace interactions and things are said back and forth that wouldn't be acceptable in many work situations.  Again, that doesn't make what Daboll said right. 

I guess it's a long way of saying that I agree with your general assessment and that we just really don't know the extent of the dysfunction.  I think what's bothered me most of all the stuff coming out is the "staffer" telling an assistant not to come to the Giants. If true, that's bad.

T200

We could certainly use Paul Harvey right about now. #TheRestOfTheStory
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

Quote from: uconnjack8 on January 18, 2024, 09:41:11 AMWe just don't know how they fit together. 

I keep thinking of that example about Daboll saying on the headset to Wink "you are going to lose this game like you lost the Jets game".  As someone who has been managing people for 25 years, that sounds awful, really awful. But we had an entire thread about context here and we don't know that part of it.  to my knowledge we have no idea what was said directly prior to that comment.

Just as an example here:  what if Prior to Daboll making that comment, Wink's comment on the radio was something to the effect of :  "Is your offense going to lose this game for us again?  Or are they going to score at all?"

It's still not a good response but its very different than just out of the blue "you lost the Jets game".  There are certainly other ways to handle that kind of stuff as a manager.

I think we have to realize that the NFL coaching jobs are not regular workplace interactions and things are said back and forth that wouldn't be acceptable in many work situations.  Again, that doesn't make what Daboll said right. 

I guess it's a long way of saying that I agree with your general assessment and that we just really don't know the extent of the dysfunction.  I think what's bothered me most of all the stuff coming out is the "staffer" telling an assistant not to come to the Giants. If true, that's bad.

Here's the thing: on game day, the coaching staff needs to work as a well-coordinated machine.  NFL playcalling is extremely demanding; in a short period of time, you need to decide the best call to play while factoring in down, distance, and game situations.  Plus, you need to consider what your opponent might do and, how predictable you are being, and how you wanted the play calling to go.

So the focus should be on the two play callers, with everything else being conducted with an eye towards supporting the play callers.  The only real exception is the head coach, who also needs to consider the game situation and be prepared to make key calls like punt or go for it.

With this in mind, the details of Daboll's finger-pointing are essentially meaningless as there simply is no place in challenging in-game environment to waste time and create a distraction by finger-pointing or the like.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE