News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Shocker in Dallas! Mike McCarthy is NOT going to be fired.

Started by AYM, January 17, 2024, 09:24:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uconnjack8

I am surprised.  Does this mean Harbaugh and Belichick said no way?

DaveBrown74

Really surprised.

Maybe Jones just doesn't feel like dealing with the upheaval at his age?

spiderblue43

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 17, 2024, 09:57:09 PMReally surprised.

Maybe Jones just doesn't feel like dealing with the upheaval at his age?

That's probably it. New coach and systems might set them back..Jerrah is thinking I can't wait.

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

I am not really shocked.  I mean, McCarthy being fired seemed to be an invention of fans, pundits, and writers rather than a reporting of an actual story.   Even Jerry's reaction to the loss seemed more up hurt and defeat rather than anger at his coaching staff.   Plus, from what I hear, unlike Dallas the players are firmly behind their head coach.

Edit to add:  Another possibility is that the best HCs currently available passed at the idea of working under Jerry Jones
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

LennG

The way I see it, good for the Giants he stays. Same as with the Pukes when Garrett was there way over his tenure. They rack up wins in the regular season but just can't get over the hump.

Still say BB would have been a perfect fit there and he would have gotten them over that proverbial hump.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

TDToomer

Quote from: LennG on January 18, 2024, 11:26:47 AMThe way I see it, good for the Giants he stays. Same as with the Pukes when Garrett was there way over his tenure. They rack up wins in the regular season but just can't get over the hump.

Still say BB would have been a perfect fit there and he would have gotten them over that proverbial hump.

What's good about facing the coach who continuously blows us out by 40 points twice a season with one game on national TV?

I am not surprised either. Jerrah has never made rash firing decisions. He is more Hal Steinbrenner than Pre-Torre George Steinbrenner with only 3 head coaches since the Tuna retired in 2006.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Ed Vette

If you think about it, it might be more profitable to have contiguous 12 win seasons and not go all the way, than a bunch of 6 win seasons and winning it all every ten years. The in season ticket sales alone would be much better for the entire season and you retain your seat license holders.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

kingm56

Quote from: Ed Vette on January 18, 2024, 07:56:40 AMNot surprised because the problem is his QB.

It's an interesting dichotomy; his QB is the reason they won double-digit wins, while simultaneously costing them two playoff games.  Very similar to Tony Romo.  It's a really tough position to be in.

DaveBrown74

Bottom line it's Lather-Rinse-Repeat in Dallas. Dak and McCarthy will be back next year, along with the rest of this game (plus/minus a few tweaks).

By Thanksgiving or so the league will be talking about how formidable they are, and expectations will once again be high going into the playoffs.

And they'll lose in the first or second round again.

This cycle has been going on since the Romo/Garrett/Dez Bryant days.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on January 19, 2024, 08:04:34 AMIf you think about it, it might be more profitable to have contiguous 12 win seasons and not go all the way, than a bunch of 6 win seasons and winning it all every ten years. The in season ticket sales alone would be much better for the entire season and you retain your seat license holders.

I would think it would take more than a few losing seasons to put Dallas in a position to not sell out.  Still, there are other significant revenue streams that teams don't have to share, like concession sales, merchandising, and even parking.  Full stadiums of fans there to watch a winning team maximize JJ's income.

Plus, suites are more desirable to corporate customers if they know they are going to be taking clients to meaningful games and to watch a winning team.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 19, 2024, 10:03:28 AMI would think it would take more than a few losing seasons to put Dallas in a position to not sell out.  Still, there are other significant revenue streams that teams don't have to share, like concession sales, merchandising, and even parking.  Full stadiums of fans there to watch a winning team maximize JJ's income.

Plus, suites are more desirable to corporate customers if they know they are going to be taking clients to meaningful games and to watch a winning team.
I was comparing them to the Giants situation, where many dumped their Seat License because fans stopped going to games in November and the resale value was in the pits. Last season they had to have had a resurgence but who trusts this organization at this point when it comes to shelling out cash? If it wasn't for you, Brian and Frank, I would have dumped the license years ago. If the Giants won 12 games a year, at least the joy of winning would have kept me in the game. Instead of walking back to the car in the wallows of defeat.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on January 19, 2024, 10:43:18 AMI was comparing them to the Giants situation, where many dumped their Seat License because fans stopped going to games in November and the resale value was in the pits. Last season they had to have had a resurgence but who trusts this organization at this point when it comes to shelling out cash? If it wasn't for you, Brian and Frank, I would have dumped the license years ago. If the Giants won 12 games a year, at least the joy of winning would have kept me in the game. Instead of walking back to the car in the wallows of defeat.

I wonder if teams initially benefit from fan dissatisfaction.   With a limited market for the seat licenses they go back to the team who at some point will sell them again for yet more money.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE