News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Raanan is hearing that Mike Kafka is likely gone

Started by MightyGiants, January 19, 2024, 08:25:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

If that is true, it's a terrible look for Daboll.  No matter how NYG and Daboll's defenders spin it, Daboll will have struck out on all three of his coordinator hirings or drove them away (or both).   Being able to hire and manage a coaching staff is one of the primary requirements of a good head coach.

https://x.com/JordanRaanan/status/1748329691658748146?s=20
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Not a good look, but it might be a good decision.

T200

Sh*t happens. Yeah, it may be a bad reflection on Daboll and his ability to assemble a top-notch staff. Some how, some way, a change needed to happen.

I think it will be for the better all-around. The tea is out there about how abrasive/abusive Daboll is. The new coordinators can't say they didn't know. They know exactly what they're in for.

Let the searches begin!
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

uconnjack8

It's pretty odd to lose 3 coordinators and not the HC after a season like this one.

It's almost like starting all over again.

It's odd to see people cite Daboll's coach of the year and the better than expected results from 2022 to keep the him, but not  give Kafka any credit for 2022.  Thought he called the plays the entire year.

MightyGiants

Quote from: uconnjack8 on January 19, 2024, 08:46:59 AMIt's pretty odd to lose 3 coordinators and not the HC after a season like this one.

It's almost like starting all over again.

It's odd to see people cite Daboll's coach of the year and the better than expected results from 2022 to keep the him, but not  give Kafka any credit for 2022.  Thought he called the plays the entire year.

The Coach of the Year award is a reflection of the work of the entire coaching staff.   As you said, it's like we are almost getting a new coaching staff without the benefit of the extra practice time that usually offsets such drastic changes
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 19, 2024, 08:51:29 AMThe Coach of the Year award is a reflection of the work of the entire coaching staff.   As you said, it's like we are almost getting a new coaching staff without the benefit of the extra practice time that usually offsets such drastic changes

That is my point.  There is a certain amount of get rid of Kafka but keep Daboll sentiment. Blaming Kafka for this year but not giving credit for last year. 

katkavage

It might work out for the best. Either way, Daboll has work to do this off season. He has to turn this around or he's gone after next year.

T200

Quote from: katkavage on January 19, 2024, 09:23:22 AMIt might work out for the best. Either way, Daboll has work to do this off season. He has to turn this around or he's gone after next year.
If Schoen and Daboll get a QB in the draft and Daboll doesn't turn it around, do you think Schoen would dump Daboll?

Keep in mind, they both came into a situation where there was a QB in place that they didn't bring in. Firing Daboll would, in essence, create the same situation for the new HC.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Jclayton92

We needed an OC who had called plays previously, and we didn't get that. Now we might get that. Seems like a positive to me.

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on January 19, 2024, 09:28:45 AMIf Schoen and Daboll get a QB in the draft and Daboll doesn't turn it around, do you think Schoen would dump Daboll?

Keep in mind, they both came into a situation where there was a QB in place that they didn't bring in. Firing Daboll would, in essence, create the same situation for the new HC.

Tim,

This is a tough hypothetical to answer, especially with a potential rookie QB in the mix.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

Quote from: Jclayton92 on January 19, 2024, 09:29:18 AMWe needed an OC who had called plays previously, and we didn't get that. Now we might get that. Seems like a positive to me.

Could be, or it could be a negative.  Was the problem Kafka or when Daboll took over play calling it got worse?

Experienced play caller might not be a good play caller.

Not sure the play calling was really the issue the past year.  There was a host of other issues.

DaveBrown74

Out of curiosity, if they're firing Kafka, why the hold-up? Their season has been over for nearly two weeks now.

uconnjack8

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 19, 2024, 09:46:36 AMOut of curiosity, if they're firing Kafka, why the hold-up? Their season has been over for nearly two weeks now.

I don't think they are firing him.  I think he is going to take another job.  I could be wrong, but that's the impression I get.

MightyGiants

If Kafka does want to leave, I think the whole Wink situation left Kafka in the catbird season.   If I were Kafka and if I felt Daboll was treating me poorly, I would tell the Giants I wish to seek my fortunes elsewhere, and if the Giants agree to that, in return, I would say the parting was mutual, and I wouldn't utter a bad word about the organization.   After what happened with Wink, the last thing the Giants need is another ugly departure by a coordinator. 

On the other hand, this is a tricky maneuver by Kafka.  If Kafka can't find a coordinator job elsewhere, it would be pretty awkward to return to the Giants.   I think this only works if Kafka's agent treads dangerously close to tampering and has already found a landing spot for his client.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: uconnjack8 on January 19, 2024, 09:48:07 AMI don't think they are firing him.  I think he is going to take another job.  I could be wrong, but that's the impression I get.

Got it. If he takes another OC job, then that's definitely not a great look.

Having said that, it's also a reflection of reality. Our offense is horrid, and we're not picking high enough to get one of the big three QBs. I don't even think a trade-up will be possible (which I know most here are against anyway). So if he has an opportunity to go somewhere like say Detroit where there's a legit offense, I can understand wanting to do that.