News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Raanan is hearing that Mike Kafka is likely gone

Started by MightyGiants, January 19, 2024, 08:25:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Quote from: Trench on January 19, 2024, 12:43:45 PMAgreed. Dabol coached with absolute fear in Jets game. It was an embarrassment. He allowed ultra conservative play calling all season long. He deserves to get a chance to rectify next year but all this smoke coming out now does not bode well for him unless he has a big season.

I'm still concerned he had the Joe Judge deer in headlights look several times this season. Not good

Yet when Daboll should have been afraid (that his wounded kicker couldn't kick a field goal), he was fearless
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

ozzie

Quote from: T200 on January 19, 2024, 09:28:45 AMIf Schoen and Daboll get a QB in the draft and Daboll doesn't turn it around, do you think Schoen would dump Daboll?

Keep in mind, they both came into a situation where there was a QB in place that they didn't bring in. Firing Daboll would, in essence, create the same situation for the new HC.
This is one of the reasons I don't think the Giants draft a QB this year. They will fill holes elsewhere on the team and if Jones comes around, great. If he doesn't and Jones and Daboll are both goners, a new HC and his staff will get to pick their own QB. And the unending circle of mediocrity will continue.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

DaveBrown74

Has anyone other than Raanan reported that Kafka is likely on his way out?

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 19, 2024, 01:38:12 PMHas anyone other than Raanan reported that Kafka is likely on his way out?

I haven't seen anything from anyone else.  I haven't even seen people talking about Raanan's claim.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

LennG

Quote from: uconnjack8 on January 19, 2024, 12:50:09 PMLenn and Dan,

Here are my concerns/curiosities here:

1)  I don't think I can recall a team changing 3 coordinators but keeping the HC.  What caused this unique circumstance? 
2) if all 3 of these guys were not "the right guy", how do we trust their decision making going forward?  Did they learn from going 0 for 3 on their initial hires?
3) if some of these things happened independently (i.e. firing a STs coordinator) and without the sh!tstorm being reported it would feel a lot different.  The reporting may be overstated and slanted and maybe most of the staff wants to work for Daboll.  I am not convinced either way, but I feel like the way this has gone down is cause for some skepticism at least.

It is something we rarely see. I think we all knew ST was horrible and the coach had to go. It depends on how you view the offense to see how Kafka fared and I believe he was horrible in his game plans. I mention it several times, but this went right from the get-go when Kafka was calling QB runs, in the 4th quarter in the opener, down by 30+. What sense was that? I also believe he never really adjusted to the talent of the QBs on the field. he had a game plan, and he rarely diverted from it, even when anyone with one eye could see it wasn't working. Kafka has to go as he never helped the offense one bit. Wink is another story, and that is just a clash in personalities.
There is no way Daboll getting canned. They have to give him a chance to fix things, even if it means changing his staff.
Again, and this is just MOVHO, Kafka was the cause of many of our offensive woes this year and I wanted him gone by mid-season. If, what is being reported as true, is, there were several clashes between Daboll and Kafka, then I give Daboll credit for holding on till the end of the season.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 19, 2024, 01:40:03 PMI haven't seen anything from anyone else.  I haven't even seen people talking about Raanan's claim.

That makes me a touch skeptical.

I also think the pool of available coaches out there (Vrabel, Belichick, Harbaugh, Slowik, Ben Johnson) makes it a hard sell to me that Kafka is going to get one of the few remaining spots.

If he leaves for another OC job on a better team or with a HC who doesn't scream at him in his headset every time a play doesn't work, then that would surprise me less.

uconnjack8

Quote from: uconnjack8 on January 19, 2024, 12:51:36 PMHow can Kafka be bad both seasons but Daboll has not been?

In Kafka's 1st season, the team had a top 5 rushing offense even though everyone knew they were going to run. 

They were middle of the road in PPG. 

That's with a terrible OL and slim pickens at pass catching positions.  I think Kafka was exceptional in year 1.

uconnjack8

Quote from: LennG on January 19, 2024, 02:02:53 PMIt is something we rarely see. I think we all knew ST was horrible and the coach had to go. It depends on how you view the offense to see how Kafka fared and I believe he was horrible in his game plans. I mention it several times, but this went right from the get-go when Kafka was calling QB runs, in the 4th quarter in the opener, down by 30+. What sense was that? I also believe he never really adjusted to the talent of the QBs on the field. he had a game plan, and he rarely diverted from it, even when anyone with one eye could see it wasn't working. Kafka has to go as he never helped the offense one bit. Wink is another story, and that is just a clash in personalities.
There is no way Daboll getting canned. They have to give him a chance to fix things, even if it means changing his staff.
Again, and this is just MOVHO, Kafka was the cause of many of our offensive woes this year and I wanted him gone by mid-season. If, what is being reported as true, is, there were several clashes between Daboll and Kafka, then I give Daboll credit for holding on till the end of the season.

Lenn,

I hope you are right.  I definitely agree on the STs coordinator.   I think that point might be the most agreed upon thing on this forum.

I think the big picture here is making me more skeptical.  They need a big improvement in play on the OL and QB positions.  If they don't get it, I think Daboll and all 3 new coordinators won't be around for 2025. 

And then it starts all over. 

There is a lot of moving parts and not much to hang your hat on to say its headed in the right direction.  We'll see who the new coordinators  are at some point, and as of now Kafka is the Giants OC.

If Daboll thought Kafka was the problem on offense I assume he would have fired him at the same time as the other firings.

andrew_nyGiants

Whether it says anything about Daboll is yet to be seen.

From my perspective, it's better to make whatever changes are necessary (for whatever reason) than to allow a problem to spread and ruin the culture of the ball club.

I'm not taking a side (other than I wanted a new OL & ST Coach) nor do I really care if Daboll has a short fuse....as long as he wins.

I'm getting too old to be patient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

brownelvis54

The KING is in the building

Rosehill Jimmy

The memory isn't what it used to be but didn't Coughlin make changes in his coordinators early in his tenure? I'm not so much concerned about the look as I am getting the right people in their roles
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

DaveBrown74

Quote from: brownelvis54 on January 19, 2024, 05:41:47 PMIf you were Kafka....would you stay?

If I had the chance to go somewhere like Houston or Detroit (teams with good offenses who are likely losing coordinators), I very likely would not stay. The Giants are looking at another partial or possibly full season with Daniel Jones. If you're an OC trying to get a HC job, that's not exactly a position of strength.

uconnjack8

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 19, 2024, 06:10:51 PMIf I had the chance to go somewhere like Houston or Detroit (teams with good offenses who are likely losing coordinators), I very likely would not stay. The Giants are looking at another partial or possibly full season with Daniel Jones. If you're an OC trying to get a HC job, that's not exactly a position of strength.

Yup.

If they name a HC in SD tomorrow and he wants Kafka as OC, he'd be crazy not to take it.

kartanoman

Quote from: Rosehill Jimmy on January 19, 2024, 05:54:13 PMThe memory isn't what it used to be but didn't Coughlin make changes in his coordinators early in his tenure? I'm not so much concerned about the look as I am getting the right people in their roles

Yes, he did. The most notable was moving off of John Hufnagel,who held the role from 2004 to midway 2006. He was replaced by then-QB coach Kevin Gilbride, who held the role as an interim OC for the rest of 2006 before assuming the permanent assignment from 2007-2013.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)