News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

No depth in draft

Started by MightyGiants, January 21, 2024, 10:46:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Nobody's talking about it because few truly track later round prospects but combination of NIL money, widespread use of extra Covid year, & smallest junior class in over a decade completely wiped out depth of this year's #NFL  Draft. By late December, our @seniorbowl board fell apart in Rounds 5-7. Teams will either be trading away Day 3 picks to preserve value or selecting players from their free agent side board in April.

https://x.com/jimnagy_sb/status/1749086720497189051?s=46&t=1vcQIN8GqF5J2oLdxEVEJQ

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jclayton92

Yeah but this coming year is the last class with an additional year I believe so should start to stabilize. The top 3 rounds are packed though at a few positions.

Bob In PA

Proof or disproof of the accuracy of the evaluation cited in the original post will eventually become evident.

Just keep tabs on the trade situation (especially during free-agency, but also up to and including draft day).

That activity will show (indirectly) how the various teams view the later rounds in this year's draft.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

jgrangers2

It's probably more NIL than anything. I don't see how the extra Covid year would impact this much but the ability to actually make money in college would obviously have an impact. Obviously the top tier guys will always declare but guys with a day 3 grade might be more willing to stay in college another year.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on January 21, 2024, 10:49:35 PMProof or disproof of the accuracy of the evaluation cited in the original post will eventually become evident.

Just watch for the trade situation (especially during free-agency, but also up to an including draft day.

That activity will show (indirectly) how the various teams view the later rounds this year.

Bob

Bob,

I am not sure you're aware, but Jim Nagy is the Senior Bowl executive.  If anyone knows the talent in the draft pipeline it's him.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 22, 2024, 08:25:15 AMBob,

I am not sure you're aware, but Jim Nagy is the Senior Bowl executive.  If anyone knows the talent in the draft pipeline it's him.

I was aware of that, and agree he knows talent, but believe not every team will agree with his assessment.

The question is how many teams agree or disagree that there are fewer "diamonds-in-the-rough" available in 2024.

I believe there will be certain teams who are interested in gobbling up extra 3rd-round and later picks to more than make up for the number of teams who don't see as much value as usual in those rounds this year. 

I'm just saying to keep the concept in mind as we view free-agency and draft-day trading.

It could come into play for a team like the Giants who (theoretically) are now, in Schoen's third year, filling out their roster this year as Schoen looks to make a run.

Bob

If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Jolly Blue Giant

In my personal research leading up to the draft...and I've spent far too much time on it already...been staying home a lot thanks to Covid and bitter cold weather. To me, the draft seems top-heavy with some excellent talent at positions that are stacked, i.e., WR, ER, and CB

By day three, the draft will have been picked pretty much clean to the bone. There is literally no consensus among draft "gurus" after the top hundred players in the draft. The GMs who do deep analysis and their diligent homework could find gems in the later rounds, but it won't be easy. Giants are in a good position to have 3 picks in the first two rounds. We should walk away with at least 3 future starters...knock on wood
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

DaveBrown74

Assuming we don't trade up, it is absolutely paramount to get our first four picks (which include two second rounders) right. This draft definitely appears to be top-heavy.

With that said, even in a draft that looks top-heavy, there are still going to be gems found on day three. There are Puka Nacua and Isiah Pacheco types almost every year. So by no means would I rule out getting someone substantial after the third or fourth round.

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 22, 2024, 09:03:24 AMAssuming we don't trade up, it is absolutely paramount to get our first four picks (which include two second rounders) right. This draft definitely appears to be top-heavy.

With that said, even in a draft that looks top-heavy, there are still going to be gems found on day three. There are Puka Nacua and Isiah Pacheco types almost every year. So by no means would I rule out getting someone substantial after the third or fourth round.

I was a huge fan of Puka before the draft and thought he was the sleeper who could become a superstar. This year I have my eyes on Malachi Corley - who has been compared to Deebo Samuels, but his game reminds me much more of Puka's because he's strong as hell, a tiger-like fighter who finds ways to get open and then won't go down. He's the master at YAC. And as a benefit, he's a special teams ace and k/p returner. Remember that name

Another gem hiding in later rounds is WR/RB/PR/KR Ainias Smith, a smaller guy who is a jack of all trades. Scrappy as hell and knows how to win and will do anything to win

I also like TEs Cade Stover and Brevyn Spann-Ford who should be available after day two. Spann-Ford is a monster at 6-7/275 pounds, but is also fleet of foot and can be an offensive weapon...especially in the red zone. PFF gives him the highest blocking grade of all TEs (tied with the smaller Stover) and is like having an extra offensive lineman...thinking here about keeping DJ upright

OT/OG Walter Rouse is a sleeper who will be on the board on day 3. Decent OT, but a tough OG. Could be groomed to be our swing tackle and backup inside OL

Anyway, a long way to draft day and I'm sure there will be plenty of chatter between now and then

The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

DaveBrown74

JBG,

I have seen Corley play, and I agree he has big talent and upside. I feel like he's more on the radar than Puka was but I could be wrong.

Interesting on the TEs. Since Waller is not a long term option and Bellinger, while respectable, is nothing exceptional, there is no reason why the Giants should not be looking at tight ends in this draft.