News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT- OC Ben Johnson informs teams he is withdrawing from consideration

Started by MightyGiants, January 30, 2024, 12:51:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

katkavage

katkavage

MightyGiants

Quote from: katkavage on January 30, 2024, 01:48:36 PMSo sayeth JP Finlay. If the Lions thrive again offensively next year, no one will give a sheet about that.

In my opinion, BJ is taking a big gamble.  You never know if your offense will perform as well next year.  The Commander's gig was a prime spot.  You have a new owner and tons of cap space, and you can draft an elite QB prospect.  There's not much to dislike about the job. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

katkavage

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 30, 2024, 01:50:41 PMIn my opinion, BJ is taking a big gamble.  You never know if your offense will perform as well next year.  The Commander's gig was a prime spot.  You have a new owner and tons of cap space, and you can draft an elite QB prospect.  There's not much to dislike about the job. 
No doubt it is a gamble. I would have taken the job. If Snyder was owner, no, but with the new owner yes.

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

I applaud him for declining and staying.

Being a first-time HC isn't easy. And this was only his second year as a coordinator. Too many times coordinators are rushed into HC jobs before they are ready.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on January 30, 2024, 02:19:32 PMI applaud him for declining and staying.

Being a first-time HC isn't easy. And this was only his second year as a coordinator. Too many times coordinators are rushed into HC jobs before they are ready.

That is an excellent point, Tim.  One only needs to look as far as Raheem Morris (the Falcons' new HC) as an example of the dangers of taking the job when you're too young.

Still, he should have probably just not entered the market rather than making teams wait on him only to have him change his mind (with one team literally in the air flying to meet him); that is not a good look.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

TDToomer

Quote from: T200 on January 30, 2024, 02:19:32 PMI applaud him for declining and staying.

Absolutely agree. Didn't we all praise Spags for doing the same exact thing after we win the Super Bowl in 07? He interviewed with DC and turned them down, stuck around one more season and had an HC job waiting for him a year later with the Rams.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 30, 2024, 02:22:31 PMThat is an excellent point, Tim.  One only needs to look as far as Raheem Morris (the Falcons' new HC) as an example of the dangers of taking the job when you're too young.

Still, he should have probably just not entered the market rather than making teams wait on him only to have him change his mind (with one team literally in the air flying to meet him); that is not a good look.
I'm not familiar with the process. Did he openly advertise that he was interested in HC vacancies? Or did teams reach out to him and he accepted interview offers?

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on January 30, 2024, 02:25:49 PMI'm not familiar with the process. Did he openly advertise that he was interested in HC vacancies? Or did teams reach out to him and he accepted interview offers?

Tim,

Coaches have agents.  I would think teams reach out to the agents of potential candidates to find out if they are interested.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 30, 2024, 02:27:09 PMTim,

Coaches have agents.  I would think teams reach out to the agents of potential candidates to find out if they are interested.
For most coaches, there is some aspirations of being the top dog. As a young coordinator, it's great to be noticed, appreciated for their success and accomplishments, and wanted. I imagine that the Lions as a whole knew they were underdogs going up against a heavy favorite, playing with house money. Maybe they didn't think they really had a shot at winning and Johnson was looking at future opportunities.

But after seeing how close they got, perhaps he has more confidence that they can truly hang with the big dogs and be back in the playoffs next year. It's OK to change his mind. It's not a bad look, to me.