News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What QB would you trade up for?

Started by spiderblue43, January 30, 2024, 04:16:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spiderblue43

There's been some desire of the brethren to trade up to nab either Williams, Maye or Daniels. I'm against it considering the holes on the roster (see Mighty) but  get the crying need for a star qb with our heroes.

Part of my question also is "whose your guy" in that scenario. Would it be a  Day 2 or 3 selection? McCarthy? Pennix? Pratt? Nix? No qb? Trade down early? Some of this speculation is premature..of course Just curious 

:Giants:  :boldblue:  :nanner:

brownelvis54

None. We are more than a QB away from being good. I would however take Spencer Rattler with the 3rd pick.High reward/ Low risk
The KING is in the building

sooners56

I'd trade almost anything for Williams. He WILL be a star!!!
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!

Doc16LT56

The stupidest thing this organization could do is pass up one of the big 3 QBs should the opportunity present itself. Stop rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. It hasn't worked in the past and won't work in the future. These guys need to grow a pair and make a power move at the QB position. My preferences are Williams, then Daniels, then May but would be happy with any of the three.

Topshelf21

President Rick

No....either no real change/progress, new learning curves, all the other needs, and IMO some of the 'top' prospects will be nfl busts.  So, NO.
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

Ed Vette

At this point, I'm not all in on any of the QB's this year. I would trade down if one didn't fall to me. However, Drake Maye might take me over the top. It depends on the Combine.

If you're talking next year, then Sanders would be on my radar.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Stringer Bell

None. This crop is pretty overrated, and the Giants are not "a QB away" from competing. They need to preserve - or add - draft capital, not trade it away.

brownelvis54

Quote from: sooners56 on January 31, 2024, 10:29:34 PMI'd trade almost anything for Williams. He WILL be a star!!!

IMO he is be a bust
The KING is in the building

Stringer Bell

Quote from: brownelvis54 on February 01, 2024, 10:58:04 AMIMO he is be a bust

Crying in mommy's arms in the stands after a loss doesn't exactly scream "mental toughness". Especially the level required to play in the largest media market in the world.

T200

Quote from: Stringer Bell on February 01, 2024, 11:21:49 AMCrying in mommy's arms in the stands after a loss doesn't exactly scream "mental toughness". Especially the level required to play in the largest media market in the world.
We all pissed our pants when we were younger. We grew up, matured, and learned how to deal with things better.

He will be no different. I'm not going to blast a 21-year-old for not being able to handle his emotions appropriately 100% of the time.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Stringer Bell

Quote from: T200 on February 01, 2024, 11:25:52 AMWe all pissed our pants when we were younger. We grew up, matured, and learned how to deal with things better.

He will be no different. I'm not going to blast a 21-year-old for not being able to handle his emotions appropriately 100% of the time.

If he's still pissing his pants at 21, maybe we shouldn't be looking to bet the house on him?

As I said in one of the other threads, poise is the single most important characteristic a franchise QB can display. How someone responds to adversity tells you so much about their mental makeup and chances of future success.

Curling up in fetal position and crying in your mother's arm is a pretty telling sign. I'm honestly not sure I can come up with a weaker visual.

T200

Quote from: Stringer Bell on February 01, 2024, 11:35:32 AMIf he's still pissing his pants at 21, maybe we shouldn't be looking to bet the house on him?

As I said in one of the other threads, poise is the single most important characteristic a franchise QB can display. How someone responds to adversity tells you so much about their mental makeup and chances of future success.

Curling up in fetal position and crying in your mother's arm is a pretty telling sign. I'm honestly not sure I can come up with a weaker visual.

My point is how we are today is not always indicative of how we will be tomorrow.

Stringer Bell

Quote from: T200 on February 01, 2024, 11:43:49 AMMy point is how we are today is not always indicative of how we will be tomorrow.

Agreed. But we have to make educated decisions based on the evidence available.

The evidence available suggests that Williams does not have the mental toughness needed to be successful - especially in NY. Evidenced by his repeated failure in big games, the way he responded to those repeated failures, and more.

Now, part of that educated decision-making needs to look at those factors and say, "despite what we know, is this guy worth taking a flyer on?" And to me, I'm not looking to "take a flyer" on anyone with the #1 overall pick, especially when I need to trade the farm to acquire it. If I'm trading multiple 1sts and multiple 2nds for someone, he needs to be a sure thing. And Williams is not that.

T200

Quote from: Stringer Bell on February 01, 2024, 11:55:45 AMAgreed. But we have to make educated decisions based on the evidence available.

The evidence available suggests that Williams does not have the mental toughness needed to be successful - especially in NY. Evidenced by his repeated failure in big games, the way he responded to those repeated failures, and more.

Now, part of that educated decision-making needs to look at those factors and say, "despite what we know, is this guy worth taking a flyer on?" And to me, I'm not looking to "take a flyer" on anyone with the #1 overall pick, especially when I need to trade the farm to acquire it. If I'm trading multiple 1sts and multiple 2nds for someone, he needs to be a sure thing. And Williams is not that.
I understand your points.  :ok:

You know very well that there aren't very many sure things in the draft, especially at QB.

Quite honestly, the turnoff with Williams for me was his ownership aspirations. Makes me wonder if his head/heart is 100% in playing football.