News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

At what point are L Jackson's critics basically right?

Started by Fletch, January 31, 2024, 12:46:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fletch

His last playoff game looked a lot like his 2nd one where he compiled a bunch of stats; threw costly Ints and fumbled the ball away. He compiles great stats in the reg season and is also playing with a top rated defense, but  always seems to have difficulty with throwing and running doesn't seem to be as effective in the playoffs.

Gmo11

Assuming he wins his 2nd MVP this season?  I'd have to put that answer at a clear....Never.

ralphpal1

Bad gameplanning
Plus as everyone seen
He keep.dropping back and never ran when he had the chance

uconnjack8

I think there's a few things here.

1) Lamar hasn't played well overall in the playoffs. In 7 games, 6 TD passes, 6 INTs, 3 rushing  TDs (2 against the Texans this year), 3 fumbles lost, and 58% completions. Certainly not his best stuff. 

2) He looked confused a bit by whatever KC was doing in the secondary.  The formula is to keep him on the pocket and make him play from there.  He has shown improvement but still hasn't gotten to a championship level with the current competition...speaking of

3) This era's AFC is going to leave more than one really talented QB without a trip to the Super Bowl. It's a gauntlet with one of the greatest talents we have ever seen in his prime right now.  Do we think Josh Allen's critics are right?  Mahomes, like Brady is going to keep otherwise great QBs of his era out of a lot of Super Bowls. 

Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, Herbert, Jacskon....only 1 gets there over year. Put Lamar in the NFC and you think he has a good shot at a Super Bowl? 

I think the criticism is deserved but I don't think the story is over.

madbadger

John Elway's critics were right until they weren't. The rush to judge a player amazes me. FWIW I would happily take Jackson today.

PSUBeirut

Yeah he sucks.  MVP season, #1 seed.  Lost to the burgeoning dynasty led by Patrick Mahomes and Andy Reid in the AFC Championship. 

sooners56

Lamar is not the MVP in my eyes. The Ravens defense gave up only 16.5 points a game. They are the real MVP!
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!

Doc16LT56

Ed Vette

Quote from: Fletch on January 31, 2024, 12:46:25 PMHis last playoff game looked a lot like his 2nd one where he compiled a bunch of stats; threw costly Ints and fumbled the ball away. He compiles great stats in the reg season and is also playing with a top rated defense, but  always seems to have difficulty with throwing and running doesn't seem to be as effective in the playoffs.
Would you be one of those critics?

The year he was drafted, I didn't see him as a QB that would ever be successful. @Bob In PA called it right. He clearly belongs in the elite group of this generation of QB's.

UConn makes a poignant observation about Mahomes and I would include Andy Reid along with him.

Defense wins championships still seems to be true most years. Spagnuolo appears to have the pieces to get that done again this year. Great Defenses can make a great QB exposed.

Another great point is his story isn't over yet. In the meantime 66-33 over his career ain't too shabby. Meaningful games in December and five playoff trips.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

kingm56

Quote from: sooners56 on January 31, 2024, 10:18:43 PMLamar is not the MVP in my eyes. The Ravens defense gave up only 16.5 points a game. They are the real MVP!

So that invalidates Jackson's own MVP numbers, while playing with limited skilled positions?  Do we dismiss Phil Simms efforts because he played with an elite defense?

T200

Quote from: Ed Vette on February 01, 2024, 08:11:32 AMWould you be one of those critics?

The year he was drafted, I didn't see him as a QB that would ever be successful. @Bob In PA called it right. He clearly belongs in the elite group of this generation of QB's.

UConn makes a poignant observation about Mahomes and I would include Andy Reid along with him.

Defense wins championships still seems to be true most years. Spagnuolo appears to have the pieces to get that done again this year. Great Defenses can make a great QB exposed.

Another great point is his story isn't over yet. In the meantime 66-33 over his career ain't too shabby. Meaningful games in December and five playoff trips.
That sums up what happened to Lamar this past week. Couple that with Harbaugh not running the ball. Saw a stat somewhere that said Harbaugh is Owen (0 and 30-something) when he runs less than 20 times per game. If that's true, why did no one tell him???

This isn't Spags' first time shutting down a high-powered/scoring offense. The playoffs are a different animal and he just has a knack for shutting down an offense in one-and-done season. Kinda reminds me of Belichick's defenses.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Fletch

He does suck. Phil Simms never got the credit Lamar did. Joe Montans career earning were equal to 50 mil. That is one year salary for Lamar who cannot play well in the playoffs. He is a running back. His great performances are no more no less as good as other running backs having dominating performances in a game. Mahomes I think is over hyped too. He throws meatballs all the time. I re-watched the some of the 9ers Chiefs SB on the NFL network last night; and it is like this guy cannot put a game winning drive without ref help.

katkavage

Quote from: Fletch on February 01, 2024, 09:17:10 AMHe does suck. Phil Simms never got the credit Lamar did. Joe Montans career earning were equal to 50 mil. That is one year salary for Lamar who cannot play well in the playoffs. He is a running back. His great performances are no more no less as good as other running backs having dominating performances in a game. Mahomes I think is over hyped too. He throws meatballs all the time. I re-watched the some of the 9ers Chiefs SB on the NFL network last night; and it is like this guy cannot put a game winning drive without ref help.
Oh it's the refs who have made Mahomes so great. Who knew?

Stringer Bell

Quote from: Fletch on February 01, 2024, 09:17:10 AMHe does suck. Phil Simms never got the credit Lamar did. Joe Montans career earning were equal to 50 mil. That is one year salary for Lamar who cannot play well in the playoffs. He is a running back. His great performances are no more no less as good as other running backs having dominating performances in a game. Mahomes I think is over hyped too. He throws meatballs all the time. I re-watched the some of the 9ers Chiefs SB on the NFL network last night; and it is like this guy cannot put a game winning drive without ref help.

Lamar sucks and Mahomes is overhyped? LOL. Sure thing.

sooners56

Quote from: kingm56 on February 01, 2024, 08:56:33 AMSo that invalidates Jackson's own MVP numbers, while playing with limited skilled positions?  Do we dismiss Phil Simms efforts because he played with an elite defense?
[/quote
Quote from: kingm56 on February 01, 2024, 08:56:33 AMSo that invalidates Jackson's own MVP numbers, while playing with limited skilled positions?  Do we dismiss Phil Simms efforts because he played with an elite defense?

I should have explained/wrote more. It does not invalidate Jackson's MVP numbers but what it does is, allow the Ravens to beat the 49ers, which gave Jackson the nod over Purdy as MVP. That Ravens D gave up 19 points to the 49ers and intercepted Purdy 4 times. That D was fantastic. As was Jackson.
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!