News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

JJ McCarthy (could he be the Giants target in round one)?

Started by MightyGiants, February 02, 2024, 10:08:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

How can anyone be "right" or "wrong" about a player who hasn't even been drafted yet, let alone set foot on an NFL field even once?

JT39

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 17, 2024, 10:27:54 AMHow can anyone be "right" or "wrong" about a player who hasn't even been drafted yet, let alone set foot on an NFL field even once?

The same way people proclaiming he is a bust even before even being drafted haha

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 17, 2024, 10:24:39 AMThere was nothing extreme about saying JJ was top ten talent.  So there was absolutely no need for you to "provide balance".   As for jumping on contrary opinions, just look how you went after people for saying JJ was top 10.

How many posts have you put up pushing JJ McCarthy, Rich? Dozens and dozens.

I see you even started another Daniel Jones thread defending him.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 17, 2024, 10:27:54 AMHow can anyone be "right" or "wrong" about a player who hasn't even been drafted yet, let alone set foot on an NFL field even once?

How can people be accused of overstating their opinion when they say he is a top 10 prospect?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: JT39 on March 17, 2024, 10:31:09 AMThe same way people proclaiming he is a bust even before even being drafted haha

I haven't seen anyone call him a "bust", but in any event, for anyone to predict he won't be great or good is simply having an opinion, which seems perfectly fine to me. That is totally different from claiming to be "right" or claiming someone else is "wrong" about things that have not even happened yet.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 17, 2024, 10:36:15 AMHow many posts have you put up pushing JJ McCarthy, Rich? Dozens and dozens.

I see you even started another Daniel Jones thread defending him.

"Pushing JJ McCarthy"  Seriously?

This thread posed a question.   There are probably a dozen or so posts on this thread that provide evidence that leads to the conclusion that he is a top-ten prospect.   

As for Daniel Jones, you and other strong critics declared yourselves right because injuries are putting a premature end to his career.  I am not sure what that has to do with the grief you gave people on this thread.

Despite your harsh and extreme claims to the contrary, I am not clueless about QBs.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 17, 2024, 10:44:29 AM"Pushing JJ McCarthy"  Seriously?

This thread posed a question.   There are probably a dozen or so posts on this thread that provide evidence that leads to the conclusion that he is a top-ten prospect.   

As for Daniel Jones, you and other strong critics declared yourselves right because injuries are putting a premature end to his career.  I am not sure what that has to do with the grief you gave people on this thread.

Despite your harsh and extreme claims to the contrary, I am not clueless about QBs.
Ok Rich...
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jclayton92 on March 17, 2024, 09:07:31 AMThe funny thing is, Drake maye might actually be the closest prospect to Daniel Jones since Daniel Jones.

If Maye's inconsistencies are due to poor mechanics, I will share the conventional wisdom I have heard over the years-  QB prospects can work to change their mechanics after leaving college and in practice and Pro Days etc, you will see that improvement.  The problem is that when the pressure is on more often than not the QB will resort to his flawed mechanics.

It's what ultimately sunk Tim Tebow, as an example
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: Ed Vette on February 15, 2024, 09:49:22 PMUnfortunately, JJ McCarthy is very difficult to get a good evaluation. It's not his fault. It was the system he was playing in where he wasn't asked to be the driver of that Offense. Sure, you can look at his mechanics and you can determine his other attributes but in very limited amount of snaps. Out of all the QB's in this draft he never stood out as a player who made huge throws or great eye popping plays.

He's going to need a team where he can sit and develop for at least one season.

There is a huge jump going from College to the NFL. He has the ability to work within a system and play in structure, so that's a big plus for him. He just hasn't been exposed to enough game situations to be a day one starter.

Perhaps he may be a good pick for the Giants since Daniel Jones will be the starter in 2024. But not at the number six pick. There are however a lot of teams looking for a QB and I don't see him falling to the second round.

There are three QBs in this draft that are at a level above the rest. That is Williams, Maye and Daniels. Those three are day one starters or close to it. Daniels will need a team where the Offense can be built around him. Same for Calib. Maye has the complete package and would thrive here in NY. Bo Nix has great talent too but even though he's the most experienced, he's a checkdowns QB too and misses opportunity downfield and when he runs, he loses sight of anything else. Penix unfortunately has that injury history. I would rule him and Daniels out for the Giants after their experience with Jones.

All of them will have an adjustment from working Under Center, to the difference in the Hash and where the ball is placed, to motion, to reading progressions, complex defenses and Clap to Cadence.

I have to say that I would be thrilled to get Maye or Daniels and if Williams gets past their mental toughness evaluation, he's a potential generational talent. I would be ok with Nix, Penix and McCarthy trading up from round two to mid first round.

~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Philosophers

None of these QBs are a sure thing.  None.  QBs with good intangibles may end up not being stars but their risk is being average.  QBs with questionable intangibles risk being busts.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Philosophers on March 17, 2024, 11:24:21 AMNone of these QBs are a sure thing.  None.  QBs with good intangibles may end up not being stars but their risk is being average.  QBs with questionable intangibles risk being busts.

I am convinced that a major variable overlooked in the equation is the team drafting the prospect.  That has a far greater impact on a prospect's ultimate success or failure than the draftnik community realizes or is willing to acknowledge.  I think that is especially true in a position like QB that is so dependent on external factors for success (or failure).

Take Bo Nix, I really think he will be a very good NFL QB if he's drafted by the Broncos.  There are other poorly run teams that if they draft Nix, I think he will crash and burn.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Philosophers on March 17, 2024, 11:24:21 AMNone of these QBs are a sure thing.  None.  QBs with good intangibles may end up not being stars but their risk is being average.  QBs with questionable intangibles risk being busts.

The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

MightyGiants

Quote from: Philosophers on March 17, 2024, 09:10:39 AMIn watching it, I think his description of what he sees is actually pretty good but it's the premise that showing a few misreads (even when huge plays occur) shows an inadequacy in a player is odd as a tape of mistakes can be made on every player.

It's the totality that ultimately matters.

Joe,

Separating good from bad intel has become a hobby of mine.  In the case of this youtuber, the red flag that tells me he isn't a sound source is this one:

JJ McCarthy is about to fool everybody in the 2024 NFL draft. There is a ton of hype around him as the draft approaches, but when you turn on his film and evaluate him, he does not deserve to be in at the very least the top half of the first round.

Whenever a source claims to have special knowledge that makes them right and everyone else wrong, alarm bells go off for me.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on March 17, 2024, 11:38:07 AM

Ric,

I would argue that drafting (in this case, QB) is more like playing Poker or Monopoly, where there is an element of luck, but good strategy can improve luck, and poor strategy can worsen it.   As opposed to a pure game a chance like roulette
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

When an opinion is formed, analysis gets skewed.  If someone loves a QB like Mahommes, then any throw completed even if a bad throw that a WR makes a great catch on is seen as a great completion by Mahommes.

If someone does not like a QB like DJ, then any throw completed even gets analyzed like a bad throw to wrong shoulder.  Saw this analysis by DJ haters here.

Two QBs analyzed differently because of bias.

Chris Collingsworth loved Brett Favre so any hair brain completion he made no matter hiw ill advised was a great throw.