News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants deny Seahawks permission to interview Kafka for OC position

Started by MightyGiants, February 04, 2024, 08:21:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozzie

I'm not sure how this will play out. Supposedly, Daboll wants to call the offense leaving Kafka as "OC" but without those responsibilities. Seattle wants Kafka as their OC and will most probably give him the freedom to create his own offense and call the game, but NY blocks the interview.
Do the Giants really want another disgruntled coordinator on their hands?
One theory I read has it where maybe the Giants keep him around to become HC in case Daboll flames out again this season...
I'm interested to see where this goes.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

MightyGiants

Quote from: ozzie on February 04, 2024, 09:22:27 AMI'm not sure how this will play out. Supposedly, Daboll wants to call the offense leaving Kafka as "OC" but without those responsibilities. Seattle wants Kafka as their OC and will most probably give him the freedom to create his own offense and call the game, but NY blocks the interview.
Do the Giants really want another disgruntled coordinator on their hands?
One theory I read has it where maybe the Giants keep him around to become HC in case Daboll flames out again this season...
I'm interested to see where this goes.

That's the previous drama; the Giants are in a damned-if-they-do/damned-if-they-don't situation.  If they let Kafka walk, Daboll looks even worse, losing 2 coordinators who didn't want to work for him and losing all three in total.   If they don't let Kafka walk, they don't look as bad, but you have an unhappy coordinator who likely will be counting the days until he can get out of his contract with the Giants.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

I look at it from the perspective that Kafka has potential and having to start over on both Offense and Defense, really is two steps back.

I agree with Art Stapleton that calling the plays won't matter for his consideration as a future HC or calling the plays won't shield Daboll.

Again, an OCs job description:

The  role of an offensive coordinator in the NFL is to develop and implement offensive strategies for a team. They work closely with the head coach and other assistant coaches to create game plans, design plays, and coordinate the offense during games. Offensive coordinators are responsible for calling plays, adjusting the game plan based on the opponent's defense, and making in-game decisions to maximize the team's offensive production. They play a crucial role in developing the team's offensive scheme and working with players to execute the game plan effectively.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

Quote from: Ed Vette on February 04, 2024, 11:49:29 AMI look at it from the perspective that Kafka has potential and having to start over on both Offense and Defense, really is two steps back.

I agree with Art Stapleton that calling the plays won't matter for his consideration as a future HC or calling the plays won't shield Daboll.

Again, an OCs job description:

The  role of an offensive coordinator in the NFL is to develop and implement offensive strategies for a team. They work closely with the head coach and other assistant coaches to create game plans, design plays, and coordinate the offense during games. Offensive coordinators are responsible for calling plays, adjusting the game plan based on the opponent's defense, and making in-game decisions to maximize the team's offensive production. They play a crucial role in developing the team's offensive scheme and working with players to execute the game plan effectively.
Art is a good reporter. It's a shame he's behind a pay wall. It hurts his recognition.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin