News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

For the life of me I don't understand why Barkley still wants to be a Giant for

Started by MightyGiants, February 05, 2024, 01:59:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Life.  He need look no further than his fellow RB McCafferty to see what a change of scenery can do for a player and a career

https://x.com/TalkinGiants/status/1754576730080133356?s=20
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

PSUBeirut

I'm old enough to remember when players wanting to show loyalty to the franchise that drafted them was a GOOD thing.   :ok:   Seriously though, I don't see a downside to a player having love and loyalty for my favorite team and wanting to help them win a championship.  I'm surprised it's all that hard to understand.

uconnjack8

Quote from: PSUBeirut on February 05, 2024, 02:11:43 PMI'm old enough to remember when players wanting to show loyalty to the franchise that drafted them was a GOOD thing.   :ok:   Seriously though, I don't see a downside to a player having love and loyalty for my favorite team and wanting to help them win a championship.  I'm surprised it's all that hard to understand.

I cannot speak for Rich, but I don't understand it from the perspective that he could have a much better career elsewhere.  A team like the Ravens that is annually in contention could actually use him and he likely wouldn't be getting hit in the backfield a split second after receiving the handoff. 

I love Barkley, but if I were him or his agent I would be looking at teams that have established QBs and could use a better RB.  There are several that fit that bill.

Philosophers

One thing I noticed is that Inam seeing Saquon in more commercials.  Maybe he thinks being in NYC may afford him more off the field income and help him post NFL career.

MightyGiants

Quote from: PSUBeirut on February 05, 2024, 02:11:43 PMI'm old enough to remember when players wanting to show loyalty to the franchise that drafted them was a GOOD thing.   :ok:   Seriously though, I don't see a downside to a player having love and loyalty for my favorite team and wanting to help them win a championship.  I'm surprised it's all that hard to understand.

Barkley has been in the league for six seasons and has seen the playoffs once.  He has never had a chance to run behind an average to above-average O-line.

I value loyalty but I also hate to see potential wasted.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Painter

As far as I'm concerned, while I admire and applaud Saquon's disposition in the matter, it is his decision to make and no one else's. We are not asked to understand anything about it. All we should do is to keep our conceits to ourselves while wishing him the best in whatever and wherever his future may be.

Cheers!

TDToomer

But if he pouts, asked out, refuses to play he'll get the OBJ/Tiki treatment from Giants fans. Now he is criticized for wanting to stay? You can't win with some fans.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Bob In PA

Quote from: PSUBeirut on February 05, 2024, 02:11:43 PMI'm old enough to remember when players wanting to show loyalty to the franchise that drafted them was a GOOD thing.  :ok:  Seriously though, I don't see a downside to a player having love and loyalty for my favorite team and wanting to help them win a championship.  I'm surprised it's all that hard to understand.

Yes, Saquon is an "old school" type of person who could have gone elsewhere in college, too, but chose using the same standards and considerations he is again falling back on by doing all he can to stay with the Giants. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

katkavage

Tough market for running backs. Easier not to spend your life for the same or less. The problem is the Giants might not offer anything.

Doc16LT56

Quote from: Bob In PA on February 05, 2024, 04:35:53 PMYes, Saquon is an "old school" type of person who could have gone elsewhere in college, too, but chose using the same standards and considerations he is again falling back on by doing all he can to stay with the Giants. Bob
It's become rare for a player in a long-term bad situation to want to stay and be part of the solution. Tip of the cap to Saquon for this.

MightyGiants

Quote from: TDToomer on February 05, 2024, 04:35:39 PMBut if he pouts, asked out, refuses to play he'll get the OBJ/Tiki treatment from Giants fans. Now he is criticized for wanting to stay? You can't win with some fans.

I am not criticizing him.  I simply don't understand why he wants to be a Giant for life.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jclayton92

I understand why he wants to be a Giant, he knows Mara will pay an oft-injured RB on a 2nd contract that will likely start to decline.

But why do the Giants want him? He got paid a million dollars for every 100 yards he got this season. 10 million for 962 yards and a 3.9 average.

DaveBrown74

The Giants made Barkley a very good offer last year given the decline in the RB market, and he passed. If he wanted to be here so badly he would have taken that offer. It was well more than fair. Thank goodness for the Giants that he thought he was too good for it. That was his loss, not the team's.

ralphpal1

Well a lot of teams dont want to pay a rb
A lot of teams mix rbs so maybe he doesnt get the volume he wants
If anything go to.dallas

Giant Obsession

Quote from: Philosophers on February 05, 2024, 03:06:17 PMOne thing I noticed is that Inam seeing Saquon in more commercials.  Maybe he thinks being in NYC may afford him more off the field income and help him post NFL career.

Give that man a cheroot.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon