News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

If you have key fobs for your car you need to secure them

Started by MightyGiants, February 05, 2024, 02:41:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

I was talking to our public safety commissioner this weekend, and he told me about it.  I Googled it, and it's a thing.  I have shielded both of my fobs with stuff I purchased off Amazon

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/2023/12/30/stop-car-hacking-by-keeping-your-key-fob-in-a-metal-coffee-can/72048564007/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Rich: Thanks for the heads-up. I don't see a difference between $6 ones and $15 ones, but figured you already thought of that and researched it... so (continuing in my true spirit of laziness lol) I'm asking (?). Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Ed Vette

I bought two boxes a few years ago when the entrepreneurs were stealing cars in Northern Bergen County. Actually it's just easier to see which cars are open, because a lot of people keep their fobs in the cars. I get ring alerts all the time about that.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on February 05, 2024, 04:39:34 PMRich: Thanks for the heads-up. I don't see a difference between $6 ones and $15 ones, but figured you already thought of that and researched it... so (continuing in my true spirit of laziness lol) I'm asking (?). Bob

If you want to be cheap tin foil or a metal box will do.  Unfortunately, items this minor don't have reviews, so you sort of have to take it on faith that they are effective.  If I had to guess, I would think most work, but that doesn't mean some shady company might sell one minus the metal shielding.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE