News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Who would you prefer start at QB this September- Jones or DeVito

Started by BluesCruz, February 08, 2024, 05:26:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Money aside who would you prefer start at QB if no other better candidate appears on the scene

BluesCruz

Personally, I prefer DeVito by a mile ad he hardly cost us a dime.

With basically the same surrounding personnel DeVito far outperformed Jones.  I think Jones is now damaged goods- mostly psychologically

Jones plays scared and the line does not get too pumped up to block for him.

DeVito having similar arm skills is far more poised and can make the long and back shoulder passes outside the numbers along the boundry that Jones seems actually seems scared to even attempt.   He does not have DeVito's touch.

In contrast the team rallys around DeVito.

Having said all this, I'm sure the Giants management will not recognize any of this.
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

JT39

Jclayton92

londonblue

If that is the choice (which is really no good choice at all) then it is Jones and by a distance for me.

De Vito had some surprise value as teams had no tape on him but they caught up with him in a few weeks. For me he's not a sustainable NFL QB. Jones on his too infrequent good days is clearly better.

I take the locker room point but again De Vito was a feel good story that came when everybody needed a lift but by season end he was rightly benched and his limitations were clear to see.

Bottom line for me De Vito is a QB3/QB4. Jones will be an average to good QB2 when his race with us is eventually run.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

Stringer Bell

Please stop. DeVito is not good or a serious part of the team's future plans.

EDjohnst1981

Painter

If we can't be real, let's try to at least be reasonable. It will be Jones not just as he's my preference but Schoen's and Daboll's as well. Following FA and/or the Draft, the more pertinent question is whether or not DeVito even survives as a QB3?

Cheers!

Giant Obsession

I would have preferred our HC let DeVito play out the string and then I could give you a better informed decision.

But ol "we needed a spark? screwed the pooch on that.....among many other decisions he made last season.

I fear that DeVito will be jettisoned early in camp.  Called burying your mistakes....something he has learned very well.

So it will be Jones.  I have already written off next year.  This team needs a stable experienced HC, like a Rivera or Vrabel.

Prediction....If Jones is cleared and healthy by the start of camp, he will play little to none of the preseason, thereby insuring his failure in 2024.  It is called a convenient excuse to by more time for Daboll.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

brownelvis54

Quote from: Stringer Bell on February 08, 2024, 05:42:49 PMPlease stop. DeVito is not good or a serious part of the team's future plans.

Devito wont be the team after the 2024 season. He has his 15 minutes of fame. This is a silly thread
The KING is in the building

DaveBrown74

This is an incredibly depressing thread.

The gulf between us and the good teams in the league is downright mammoth.

BluesCruz

This falls under the same light as retaining Barkley
Like Jones a highly lauded and overpaid player

Both are ordinary and need to be jettisoned

DeVito never got the preparation and space to make mistakes and learn from them

Personally I believe the severe illegal head shot he took from New Orleans sealed his fate the next game as he wasnt the same player that week

Jones, Collins, Brown etc were and are given eons to develop or carry on

DeVito basically had one slow game and most of you forgot the amazing things he did prior.   Daboll basically panicked and threw Taylor in there.

You all might be right, and he will go on to be exposed to waivers and will likely wind up a top QB in some place like NE, Minn, Seattle or DC as a give away.

The other teams having tape on him is likely the lamest argument Ive ever read on a message board.

Tommy didnt call the plays so tape would not help very much.  He had an amazing NFL career start on a very under talented team

To sum it up, New Orleans which has a history of bounties, targeted his head and they got away with it Scott Free   not even a penalty flag :boooo:

Messiah717

Devito was fun for his 15 minutes and then reality set in.  Banging the Devito drum is the equivalent of just saying you want many more years of mediocrity. 

BluesCruz

Quote from: Messiah717 on February 09, 2024, 08:30:44 AMDevito was fun for his 15 minutes and then reality set in.  Banging the Devito drum is the equivalent of just saying you want many more years of mediocrity. 

We will never know.  We will continue to watch our Robotic 45 million dollar QB.  Most of you approve of that and will suffer for 18 miserable weeks as punishment

Gmo11

Quote from: BluesCruz on February 09, 2024, 09:16:47 AMWe will never know.  We will continue to watch our Robotic 45 million dollar QB.  Most of you approve of that and will suffer for 18 miserable weeks as punishment

Devito was worse.  Is worse.  And will be worse.  And Jones ain't good.  To be very clear.  If the Giants do not draft a QB this season and those guys are 1 and 2 on the depth chart they will be picking in the top 5 again next season.  Possibly top 3.  Maybe then they'll find a real QB, since they don't currently as things stand now employ one.

BluesCruz

Quote from: Gmo11 on February 09, 2024, 10:20:38 AMDevito was worse.  Is worse.  And will be worse.  And Jones ain't good.  To be very clear.  If the Giants do not draft a QB this season and those guys are 1 and 2 on the depth chart they will be picking in the top 5 again next season.  Possibly top 3.  Maybe then they'll find a real QB, since they don't currently as things stand now employ one.

Other than run like a RB, in what way is Jones better.  Can you be specific because the results on the field last year and stats (QBR?) sure do not bear you out