News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Wink has a new job

Started by MightyGiants, February 09, 2024, 06:00:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

A step back. It's interesting and leads to speculation as to why. Was he put at arms length at the NFL level after his antics with the Giants? Did he simply decide he just wanted to work with young players and develop them? Was there a connection that he was drawn to. He's a good defensive mind and the players like him. It's an excellent program and he should flourish there.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

T200

Interesting. Many thought there was a threat of him going to Philly. Turns out the only threat was when he was on the staff.

Best of luck to ya, Wink.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on February 09, 2024, 06:36:38 AMA step back. It's interesting and leads to speculation as to why. Was he put at arms length at the NFL level after his antics with the Giants? Did he simply decide he just wanted to work with young players and develop them? Was there a connection that he was drawn to. He's a good defensive mind and the players like him. It's an excellent program and he should flourish there.

Wink is likely making $2 million instead of $3 million but the hours and the workload is significantly less at the college level
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

nb587

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 09, 2024, 08:07:57 AMWink is likely making $2 million instead of $3 million but the hours and the workload is significantly less at the college level
Is that $2 million published anywhere?  Previous DC made about $1.25m.  Also, NIL has changed the college game big time. More of a full time recruiting job

BluesCruz

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 09, 2024, 08:07:57 AMWink is likely making $2 million instead of $3 million but the hours and the workload is significantly less at the college level

Good for him..  He made watching the Giants exciting and at least tolerable to watch as on the other side we were setting punting and FG records.  The thought of more Jones/Barkley offense this year makes me cringe

I hope our new DC can keep up the good defensive play
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Philosophers

College coaches have longer hours than pro coaches with all the recruiting,  on campus entertaining of recruits, boosters/alum time.  Much more demanding 24/7/365 job than pros.  Everything a pro coach a college coach does plus all I listed.

Ed Vette

Quote from: nb587 on February 09, 2024, 08:16:45 AMIs that $2 million published anywhere?  Previous DC made about $1.25m.  Also, NIL has changed the college game big time. More of a full time recruiting job
Good point, he's a powerful recruiting name.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

Quote from: Philosophers on February 09, 2024, 09:19:43 AMCollege coaches have longer hours than pro coaches with all the recruiting,  on campus entertaining of recruits, boosters/alum time.  Much more demanding 24/7/365 job than pros.  Everything a pro coach a college coach does plus all I listed.
We only see our friend once or twice a year. It's a very demanding job.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: nb587 on February 09, 2024, 08:16:45 AMIs that $2 million published anywhere?  Previous DC made about $1.25m.  Also, NIL has changed the college game big time. More of a full time recruiting job

Minter had a base of 1.15 million plus a max bonus of .575 million, so he was likely paid close to 1.7 million.  The $2 million was a rough guess based on where the Michigan program is and Wink's resume
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

TDToomer

First point. It's disgusting that a coach who is not the head coach can make this much money coaching so called student athletes at an institute for higher learning while the student there to learn are saddled with 100K in student debt loans. But whatever no one seems to cares. That being said Wink badly miscalculated his worth in the NFL. I do wonder if his reputation has taken a hit.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

MightyGiants

Quote from: TDToomer on February 09, 2024, 09:51:48 AMFirst point. It's disgusting that a coach who is not the head coach can make this much money coaching so called student athletes at an institute for higher learning while the student there to learn are saddled with 100K in student debt loans. But whatever no one seems to cares. That being said Wink badly miscalculated his worth in the NFL. I do wonder if his reputation has taken a hit.

Those "student-athletes" are making healthy salaries now via NIL.  Hell, I hear at the bigger programs, they will even pay students to leave, so they can get the scholarship slot back for another player
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

ozzie

"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

BlueMoshik

Coaches at the highest level don't care about stuff like hours.

Bob In PA

I believe I mentioned the possibility of Wink considering coaching in the college ranks previously. 

The move is telling, however, in that apparently even the colleges don't consider him as head-coaching "timber."

Best of luck, man.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!