News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Wink has a new job

Started by MightyGiants, February 09, 2024, 06:00:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

As a Michigan fan, I am not convinced this is a great hire.  First, college football is about recruiting, recruiting and recruiting.  Wink is 60+ and he's a low energy, not much personality type of guy.  I am not sure his personality will resonate with high school football prospects.  Second, he has been an NFL coach for so long that he does not have ties to any regions or high school coaches within regions so no relationships there.  If he brings Drew or Kevin Wilkins with him onto the staff, that will be another staff member without ties to high schools.

Lastly, he got ceremoniously pushed out by John Harbaugh of the Ravens.  Now, he gets pushed out by the Giants and Dabs.  It's not about his Xs and Os anymore, but is there something insidious going on with him in terms of these rumored fiefdoms?  Michigan's coaching staff under Jim Harbaugh was among the best I have ever seen as tacticians, developing players and communicating well between the coaches.  I am not sure Wink brings this over.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Philosophers on February 10, 2024, 09:10:37 AMAs a Michigan fan, I am not convinced this is a great hire.  First, college football is about recruiting, recruiting and recruiting.  Wink is 60+ and he's a low energy, not much personality type of guy.  I am not sure his personality will resonate with high school football prospects.  Second, he has been an NFL coach for so long that he does not have ties to any regions or high school coaches within regions so no relationships there.  If he brings Drew or Kevin Wilkins with him onto the staff, that will be another staff member without ties to high schools.

Lastly, he got ceremoniously pushed out by John Harbaugh of the Ravens.  Now, he gets pushed out by the Giants and Dabs.  It's not about his Xs and Os anymore, but is there something insidious going on with him in terms of these rumored fiefdoms?  Michigan's coaching staff under Jim Harbaugh was among the best I have ever seen as tacticians, developing players and communicating well between the coaches.  I am not sure Wink brings this over.

I heard one plus with Wink is the prior two DCs had similar schemes and terminology.  The other thing with Wink is he has a bit of a larger-than-life persona that may play well with parents and recruits.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: TDToomer on February 09, 2024, 09:51:48 AMFirst point. It's disgusting that a coach who is not the head coach can make this much money coaching so called student athletes at an institute for higher learning while the student there to learn are saddled with 100K in student debt loans. But whatever no one seems to cares. That being said Wink badly miscalculated his worth in the NFL. I do wonder if his reputation has taken a hit.
Sports can contribute 40% of an institution's revenue. Only the top programs pay that much but most are mid to high six figures.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

TDToomer

Quote from: Ed Vette on February 10, 2024, 09:23:01 AMSports can contribute 40% of an institution's revenue. Only the top programs pay that much but most are mid to high six figures.

Then why is their tuition as high as the division 2-3 schools?
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jclayton92 on February 11, 2024, 01:11:11 PMhttps://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bigblueview.com/platform/amp/2024/2/11/24069225/wink-martindale-protege-drew-wilkins-wont-follow-him-to-ann-arbor-ny-giants-new-england-patriots

The guys that wink went to back for and quit over aren't even following him to Michigan.

Of course, there is the other side of that coin.  The guy that Daboll claimed was so bad he needed to be fired (that triggered all the drama) easily found an NFL job.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin