News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The question isn't what NYG needs, it should be what don't they need

Started by MightyGiants, February 09, 2024, 09:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Between team free agents and the holes that made this a 6 win team, the Giants have a ton of major needs.  Consider:

FIRST YOU BUILD IN THE TRENCHES

O-LINE

The offensive line is a complete mess.   You have Andrew Thomas who, when healthy, is a top 5-10 LT in the league.   There is hope that JMS will prove to be an average NFL center in year two.   Outside of that, the rest of the line is a complete mess.

To fill the two guard spots, the right tackle spot and the swing tackle and swing interior O-line you have:

Evan Neal- was disastrous in his first two seasons. There are serious doubts he can play RT in the NFL and may need to be moved to guard (in hopes he can be an adequate starter in the NFL)

Josh Ezeudu-  the man can't stay healthy and has played poorly when healthy

Marcus McKethen-  seems to have backup as his ceiling at either guard or RT

The rest of the roster are scrubs, free agents or Mark Glowinski who is almost assuredly a cap causality.  This unit is in need of major resources (again).

You need two to three starters plus depth

D-LINE

On the interior D-line you have elite Dexter and Nacho.  Behind them are DJ Davidson and Jordon Riley two unathletic big-body D-line types.

On the Edge, you have KT, and you have oft-injured Ojulari.  Beyond that you have healthy scratch Boogie Bashum (a player the Giants gave up a pick to acquire). 

You need at least one starter at edge and a solid rotational D-lineman

QUARTERBACK

Beyond the lines, the next area to address is QB.  As a starter, there is Daniel Jones, recovering from an ACL tear and a bad season.  Even if we accept the argument that it was incompetence-level mismanagement that led to a no-win situation for Daniel Jones, that argument was far more valid prior to another serious neck injury and a torn ACL.  It's not even assured that Daniel Jones will be ready to start the season or if he is ready if his athleticism is fully recovered.

Beyond that, you have novelty QB Tommy DeVito who is questionable in terms of reaching a ceiling of solid backup QB and a scrub.

The team needs at minimum a higher-level backup level QB

RUNNING BACKS

Currently, there is Gary Brightwell and Eric Gray.  Barkley is a free agent who may or may not be back.  Brieda is also a free agent.

The Giants need at least a starting RB and another that could be tossed in the mix

TIGHT ENDS

The tight end room currently consists of often-injured Darren Waller and Bellinger (who followed up a promising rookie season with a bit of a disappointing second season).  Cager is a free agent and that's pretty much it.

Depending on if the Giants keep Waller they need a solid TE or potentially a near starter level TE

WIDE RECEIVERS

The Giants lack a true X-Receiver (they have lacked that since OBJ was traded) but at least they have bodies.   Hyatt, WonDale Robinson, Darius Slayton, Ford-Wheton (should be back from ACL), and Hodgins (is a restricted free agent).  This is the closest thing (minus the critical lead guy) to a solid roster spot the Giants have.

The Giants need an X-receiver

INSIDE LB

They seem set at starters with Okereke and McFadden.  Behind them they just have Beavers.

The Giants need another backup ILB

CORNER BACK

The Giants have one boundary starter in Banks.  Adoree Jackson is a free agent and likely gone so there is a hole in terms of the second outside starter.  You have Hawkins who was a good camp story who came up short in his rookie season.  McCloud is a restricted free agent and is a very good backup rotation CB.   The Slot CB is disappointing undersized Cordell Flott and injured/forgotten Aaron Robinson. 

The Giants need a starting boundary CB and a slot CB who is capable of competing with Flott for the slot job.

SAFTEY

McKenny was one of the best players on the team but he is far from certain to return to NYG.   Beyond him they have Pinnock who has shown to be a pretty good safety.   2nd year safety Belton has some flaws but he seems to be an interception magnet.  Rookie Owens didn't have any snaps last season but might be a solid backup.

The Giants don't need to re-sign McKenny, but in light of the new DC favoring safeties in his defense, it would be very helpful
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jolly Blue Giant

Hence: trade down and add draft picks...a lot of work to be done. I think the value of holding pick 6, is that will get the biggest bang for its buck, by trading down. And yeah, I know that you have to have a trade partner. Ideally, the phone is ringing off the hook so there is competition by several teams wanting that pick

Needs (IMHO):

Highest priority: OGs and a DE (build the trench and work outward from there)
Next priority: ER, CB, and LB
Next: offensive weapons
Last: QB to groom for the future
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

BluesCruz

1- A functional Oline (frankly once Neal was removed they were no longer horrible- trade him) but need a stud RT and Justin Pugh with 30 lbs of muscule back on his frame as the swing man

2- A new HC.  Daboll is a life long Assistant with a bad temper
Here I would recommend adding Belichick who could groom a replacement and retire in 3 years with another Lombardi as we are no that far from being a contender again.  Alternative- Pete Carroll

3- 2 Stud RBs replacing the WAYYYYYYYY overrated Barkley

4- 2 more DTs who can stop the run and spot Dexy who carries too much body fat and tires over the length of a whole game.  Find a good edge rusher too via draft, trade or free agency

5- A stud QB from the draft.  I would get Penix or Nix if possible

6- The DC is YTBD. Yet to be determined...... I hope he is ok

7- A new placekicker if Gano is not fully recovered

8- Find a way to parse Jones salary with some unsuspecting team and trade him before mini camp starts

9- Find a buyer for the team (Maybe Musk or Bezos) sell MetLife to the Jets and build a new Stadium with elevated parking in Hoboken over the Ferry Terminal (with a roof) and the railroad yards.

Dont tell me Mara would not sell....everyone has a price and these guys have the money......give Mara and Tisch lifelong Super Boxes to sit in

Build a Practice and Admin facility out near Morristown.  I still believe the present Stadium and practice facility are built on an old toxic waste dump
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on February 09, 2024, 09:42:07 AMHence: trade down and add draft picks...a lot of work to be done. I think the value of holding pick 6, is that will get the biggest bang for its buck, by trading down. And yeah, I know that you have to have a trade partner. Ideally, the phone is ringing off the hook so there is competition by several teams wanting that pick

Needs (IMHO):

Highest priority: OGs and a DE (build the trench and work outward from there)
Next priority: ER, CB, and LB
Next: offensive weapons
Last: QB to groom for the future

I have some thoughts on this.  First, a trade down requires someone teams want to trade up for.  Maybe one of the WRs will be worth it, or perhaps McCarthy will entice another team if the Giants pass on him.  Speaking of McCarthy, if NYG were to draft him, that would make it easier to borrow future cap money because after Jones is off the books, there would be the cheaper rookie QB contract.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

londonblue

The draft is an exercise in balancing:

1. value: talent, positional value, pick, invested $ at position
2. availability: who is gone/left, draft deep/thin at position
3. Impact: need, projected snaps/role, fit to scheme/culture

Our 'priorities' in whatever order we rank them (which we cannot conclude until after FA) is only part of the jigsaw.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

jimc

One good thing. With so many needs the BPA will most likely fill a position of need.
- Accumulating knowledge is pointless unless it is used to help someone

coggs

What they DON'T need?  About 75% of their current roster and Mara as an owner.

Brooklyn Dave

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 09, 2024, 09:28:17 AMBetween team free agents and the holes that made this a 6 win team, the Giants have a ton of major needs.  Consider:

FIRST YOU BUILD IN THE TRENCHES

O-LINE

The offensive line is a complete mess.   You have Andrew Thomas who, when healthy, is a top 5-10 LT in the league.   There is hope that JMS will prove to be an average NFL center in year two.   Outside of that, the rest of the line is a complete mess.

To fill the two guard spots, the right tackle spot and the swing tackle and swing interior O-line you have:

Evan Neal- was disastrous in his first two seasons. There are serious doubts he can play RT in the NFL and may need to be moved to guard (in hopes he can be an adequate starter in the NFL)

Josh Ezeudu-  the man can't stay healthy and has played poorly when healthy

Marcus McKethen-  seems to have backup as his ceiling at either guard or RT

The rest of the roster are scrubs, free agents or Mark Glowinski who is almost assuredly a cap causality.  This unit is in need of major resources (again).

You need two to three starters plus depth

D-LINE

On the interior D-line you have elite Dexter and Nacho.  Behind them are DJ Davidson and Jordon Riley two unathletic big-body D-line types.

On the Edge, you have KT, and you have oft-injured Ojulari.  Beyond that you have healthy scratch Boogie Bashum (a player the Giants gave up a pick to acquire). 

You need at least one starter at edge and a solid rotational D-lineman

QUARTERBACK

Beyond the lines, the next area to address is QB.  As a starter, there is Daniel Jones, recovering from an ACL tear and a bad season.  Even if we accept the argument that it was incompetence-level mismanagement that led to a no-win situation for Daniel Jones, that argument was far more valid prior to another serious neck injury and a torn ACL.  It's not even assured that Daniel Jones will be ready to start the season or if he is ready if his athleticism is fully recovered.

Beyond that, you have novelty QB Tommy DeVito who is questionable in terms of reaching a ceiling of solid backup QB and a scrub.

The team needs at minimum a higher-level backup level QB

RUNNING BACKS

Currently, there is Gary Brightwell and Eric Gray.  Barkley is a free agent who may or may not be back.  Brieda is also a free agent.

The Giants need at least a starting RB and another that could be tossed in the mix

TIGHT ENDS

The tight end room currently consists of often-injured Darren Waller and Bellinger (who followed up a promising rookie season with a bit of a disappointing second season).  Cager is a free agent and that's pretty much it.

Depending on if the Giants keep Waller they need a solid TE or potentially a near starter level TE

WIDE RECEIVERS

The Giants lack a true X-Receiver (they have lacked that since OBJ was traded) but at least they have bodies.   Hyatt, WonDale Robinson, Darius Slayton, Ford-Wheton (should be back from ACL), and Hodgins (is a restricted free agent).  This is the closest thing (minus the critical lead guy) to a solid roster spot the Giants have.

The Giants need an X-receiver

INSIDE LB

They seem set at starters with Okereke and McFadden.  Behind them they just have Beavers.

The Giants need another backup ILB

CORNER BACK

The Giants have one boundary starter in Banks.  Adoree Jackson is a free agent and likely gone so there is a hole in terms of the second outside starter.  You have Hawkins who was a good camp story who came up short in his rookie season.  McCloud is a restricted free agent and is a very good backup rotation CB.   The Slot CB is disappointing undersized Cordell Flott and injured/forgotten Aaron Robinson. 

The Giants need a starting boundary CB and a slot CB who is capable of competing with Flott for the slot job.

SAFTEY

McKenny was one of the best players on the team but he is far from certain to return to NYG.   Beyond him they have Pinnock who has shown to be a pretty good safety.   2nd year safety Belton has some flaws but he seems to be an interception magnet.  Rookie Owens didn't have any snaps last season but might be a solid backup.

The Giants don't need to re-sign McKenny, but in light of the new DC favoring safeties in his defense, it would be very helpful

JMS will be more than average NFL Center

kartanoman

Rich @MightyGiants , nice job with this list!

Quick question. You have the LB corps listed without Isaiah Simmons. Was that by design or do you think the Giants might resign him for 2024 and possibly beyond? Would that answer the mail for the extra LB?

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

DaveBrown74

Great OP Rich.

It really is appalling how bad the situation is right now. I have been a big Schoen advocate, but I have to admit the roster doesn't look any better now than when he took the job. This team was very lucky to win six games.

Of course, the grim reality is in fact that we were decidedly unlucky to win six games.

MightyGiants

Quote from: kartanoman on February 09, 2024, 06:26:57 PMRich @MightyGiants , nice job with this list!

Quick question. You have the LB corps listed without Isaiah Simmons. Was that by design or do you think the Giants might resign him for 2024 and possibly beyond? Would that answer the mail for the extra LB?

Peace!

If they kept Wink, I think Simmons stays.   Now, I think Simmons is a bit of a long shot, and I am not even sure what position I would put him in.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

LennG

Simmons should be the face of the defense. They had better not let him walk.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Brooklyn Dave on February 09, 2024, 06:14:22 PMJMS will be more than average NFL Center

Absolutely, I was going to say something about that, then got distracted. He's going to be one of the top centers in the NFL, and probably for years to come
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

sooners56

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on February 09, 2024, 06:32:41 PMGreat OP Rich.

It really is appalling how bad the situation is right now. I have been a big Schoen advocate, but I have to admit the roster doesn't look any better now than when he took the job. This team was very lucky to win six games.

Of course, the grim reality is in fact that we were decidedly unlucky to win six games.
Spot on! Roster doesn't look anymore talented than when Gettlemen was GM. Heck the best players on the team weren't drafted by Schoen.
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!