News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT- NFL Awards

Started by MightyGiants, February 09, 2024, 11:06:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

MVP
Lamar Jackson | QB | Baltimore Ravens

Offensive Player of the Year
Christian McCaffrey | RB | San Francisco 49ers

Defensive Player of the Year
Myles Garrett | DE | Cleveland Browns

Offensive Rookie of the Year
C.J. Stroud | QB | Houston Texans

Defensive Rookie of the Year
Will Anderson Jr. | DE | Houston Texans

Coach of the Year
Kevin Stefanski | Cleveland Browns

Comeback Player of the Year
Joe Flacco | QB | Cleveland Browns
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

LennG

I was going to start something on this, but since it is already here, I was wondering if us fans think Jackson deserves MVP this year. YES, he had a great season but like seasons past he always comes up short when the money is on the line. Is having a great season but never really going anywhere after that, equivalent to a real MVP?

IMVO I would vote for some one else. Jackson seems to put up great numbers when he plays average teams, but when he comes up against some of the best, he never achieves anything great. I will always have an image of him sitting on the bench with his head wrapped in something, feeling lousy. Not my MVP.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

EDjohnst1981

The awards are rightly only based on the regular season, so yes, he's more than deserving of it

LennG

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on February 09, 2024, 12:04:28 PMThe awards are rightly only based on the regular season, so yes, he's more than deserving of it

Ed

I understand that, but it still has to stick in people's minds how he always comes up short when the team needs him the most.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

EDjohnst1981

Quote from: LennG on February 09, 2024, 12:08:00 PMEd

I understand that, but it still has to stick in people's minds how he always comes up short when the team needs him the most.

I see what you're saying but if those short moments are not eligible for consideration - they should not be considered.

It's why most awards are worthless, in my opinion.

uconnjack8

Kind of think that the Ravens loss in the playoffs shows just how valuable Lamar is to that team.  He had a bad game and they scored 19 points less than their season average. 

Overall I agree these awards are pretty worthless.  Most teams MVP is a QB, at least good teams.  If Mahomes were not on the Chiefs what would that offense have been this year?

TDToomer

CMac should be league MVP.

Hill should be OPOY
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

ozzie

I understand that Flacco came "straight off the couch" and helped Cleveland win games, but Damar Hamlin was literally dead. He may not have played much this year and may not have played well when he did, but to even suit up for games at all was more impressive to me than anything anyone else on that ballot did.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

MightyGiants

I think it might be worth noting for those who believe that CJ Stroud turned around the Texans all by himself; the Texans also had the defensive rookie of the year.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

I can't believe Myles Garrett won DPOY over TJ Watt. Take a look at the numbers. Watt had a much better season.

LennG

Coach of the Year

How can Dan Campbell not win COTY? He took his team to the championship game.

Charlie Weiss

MightyGiants

Quote from: LennG on February 10, 2024, 02:03:49 PMCoach of the Year

I think they looked at how Stefansski handled all the injuries at QB and took Flacco off the scrap heap and made a run to the playoffs
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

EDjohnst1981

Stefanski started 5 different QBs and went to the playoffs.

DaveBrown74

It's a regular season award only.

I thought the award was based solely on the regular season and had nothing to do with the postseason. Is that not correct?

EDjohnst1981

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on February 10, 2024, 05:57:43 PMIt's a regular season award only.
I thought the award was based solely on the regular season and had nothing to do with the postseason. Is that not correct?

You are correct.