News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Predict the winner of the Super Bowl

Started by MightyGiants, February 09, 2024, 11:17:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jolly Blue Giant

Kansas City wins 27-24

Mahomes just has that innate gift to figure out a way to win, and he'll take over and force it to happen

And they have Taylor Swift in the crowd cheering them on...along with 20 million new female fans, cheering with her
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Messiah717

I agree with Jolly.  In a close game Mahomes will be the difference maker. 

MightyGiants

Chiefs because it's not wise to bet against Mahommes when he is the underdog, plus the 49ers have looked a bit underwhelming in the playoffs
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Chiefs

Mahomes on offense.

Spags calling the defense.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on February 09, 2024, 01:59:58 PMChiefs

Mahomes on offense.

Spags calling the defense.

I have to say the older Spags has gotten the better he has coached
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

EDjohnst1981

Chiefs, because of Mahomes and Kelce is red hot.

sooners56

49ers win by 10. Too much firepower for the Chiefs to keep up. I think the 49ers defense will come to play and limit Mahomes magic making abilities.
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 09, 2024, 02:01:22 PMI have to say the older Spags has gotten the better he has coached
I still subscribe to the "Defense Wins Championships" philosophy.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

sooners56

Quote from: T200 on February 09, 2024, 02:25:07 PMI still subscribe to the "Defense Wins Championships" philosophy.
The Chiefs definitely have the better defense. The 49ers defense hasn't exactly lived up to expectations these playoffs but I think they'll be able to contain Mahomes and that offense to 20 points or less.
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!

MagicRat

I can see a low scoring game, Spags D in a big game with two weeks to scheme......
I don't think SF get to 20 and Mahomes will do enough, though

23-17 KC
Pacheco MVP
Smell my cheese you mother!

BluesCruz

49rs- Too many weapons
very hard to repeat as SB Champs

49rs are much more well rounded
It wont be close

49rs 41- Chiefs 17
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

DaveBrown74

My knee-jerk reaction is that it seems clear that Mahomes and the Chiefs getting points is the clear right side. They have proven time and again that they know how to win big games against top teams, and as mentioned earlier San Fran has not looked as dominant as they did in much of the regular season. In fact, it can easily be argued that they were lucky to win both of their games so far in the playoffs.

Here is the thing though: literally everyone I know thinks all of this, and I've discussed the game with plenty of people. I keep hearing the same thing: "You can't fade Mahomes right now." And this nearly unanimous view is reflected in this thread, too.

Here is a site I look at a lot that shows the percentage of the public betting that is currently placed on each side:

https://www.sportsbettingdime.com/nfl/public-betting-trends/

As you can see, the skew is dramatically in favor of the Chiefs, and yet the line is not really moving. The 49ers are favored, and they remain favored. You'd think with all this action pouring in on Kansas City, the line would have moved to being maybe a pick'em or even the Chiefs being favored. But it hasn't.

So either literally everyone is about to win the easiest bet of all time and Vegas will take probably the biggest bath of all time in a single sporting event, or this pick is not as easy as everyone thinks. Something feels off to me here. All of the above makes me suspect San Fran could be the right side in this game. San Fran definitely feels like the wise guy side.

Bottom line for me I don't really care who wins. I just want a highly competitive game where the outcome is in real doubt in the fourth quarter. If I absolutely had to make a pick I'd probably take the Chiefs for the same reasons everyone else likes them, but if I were a bettor I would not be very comfortable with all of the above dynamics and this would not be a game I'd have heavy action on.

spiderblue43

Can't go against Mahomes He has earned that respect  Niners? A bridesmaid again? Love Spags coverage guys to stifle Deebo and Aikyuk.

If SF is going to win..it's McCafferey on screens..quick tosses..even gadget plays..he can throw it.

And Purdy must be ahead of the chains.

uconnjack8

49ers.  I think it will be kiw scoring and close. 

Both defenses are really solid units that gave up under 18 ppg. The difference has been on offense where SF averaged 28 ppg and KC 21.

The 49ers run defense has looked poor the last two games but their opponents were good run teams with field stretching weapons on the outside. 

KC has no one that is truly stretching the field.  The LG is unlikely to play and I dont see KC being able to establish the run line the Lions or GB.

On the flip side, KC's D has carried them this year and will keep them in the game.  Ultimately I think SF will find something to exploit.  Chris Jones will present SF a big challenge in the middle of the line, but outside runs should help neutralize that. SF can attack anywhere on the field and has real weapons at every skill position.  Spags has been great again in the playoffs and I dont expect SF to score a lot, but just enough. Will be curious how they cover Deebo.  McDuffie is an all-pro, who will they choose to match him against? 

49er 23-17 or so.

As for the betting, this game more than any other is dominated by the public who are not who I would follow.  I havent seen where sharp money is going but 78% of the bets on KC and no line change makes me think Vegas is daring people to bet KC.