News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Eli and the HOF

Started by LennG, February 10, 2024, 12:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

It always happens about this time of year, when the new HOF class comes out. Next year Eli Manning becomes eligible for entry into the HOF. Does he make it? We have had this debate ever since he was still QBing the Giants but now it really means something.

Tom Rock of Newsday had a great article on this

https://www.newsday.com/sports/columnists/tom-rock/eli-manning-hall-of-fame-qcuwehen.

As he also alludes to, in the next few years, guys like Brees, Brady, and Big Ben will also become eligible and that might make Eli's quest a bit tougher if he doesn't get in sooner.

One point Rock makes that I thought was an excellent point, say Eli wasn't a Manning and he didn't play in NY, would he still be as big option?  Do 2 SB MVPs and middling regular season stats get you into the HOF?

I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

DaveBrown74

I am pretty much 100% convinced Eli will get in. It might take more than one try though.

Ed Vette

He's one of the most significant players in NY Giant history. He was MVP for two SB's but the Giants Defense really kept them in those games. He was a middling regular season QB who had ice in his veins during those two playoff runs.

I think he gets in because of the name and NY and because he's kept himself relevant. Especially on those Monday night games.

Personally, I have a high bar for the HOF. Although I would like to see him get it but I don't think he deserves it.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

EDjohnst1981

I think he's a first ballot cert.

2 x Superbowl MVP, both games won because of him. Knocking off the 18-0 Pats and 15-1 Packers along the way.

I think he's in first go around.

kingm56

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on February 10, 2024, 12:14:57 PMI think he's a first ballot cert.

2 x Superbowl MVP, both games won because of him. Knocking off the 18-0 Pats and 15-1 Packers along the way.

I think he's in first go around.

Exactly how I feel, Ed.  As Jeff stated, not a first or second ballot guy, but he gets in. 

kartanoman

To date, only Jim Plunkett is the lone NFL Quarterback who has played in and won two Super Bowls and has NOT been elected into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Jim was a heck of a QB for the Raiders after getting his second and final chance to jump-start what was a disappointing career which started with high expectations.

That being said, the 2007 and 2011 NFL Champion Giants weren't the greatest teams of all-time. They played the best as a team when it counted the most and their quarterback made the critical plays, at the most critical moments in both games, to ensure Giants victories. Such accomplishments are far from ordinary and cannot be overstated in deference to the accomplishments of the other worthy candidates. The fact is that Eli Manning currently has no peer when it comes to such accomplishments. Therefore, they must be considered as extraordinary which, against the bottom line, bodes well for him.

Whether or not he is elected in his first year of eligibility will depend on the candidate list, who on that list is seriously overdue for election and who are, by traditional definition, "sure thing" first year ballot HoFers.

Let's see that list, first, and have a discussion about his probability of getting selected.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

killarich

Quote from: Ed Vette on February 10, 2024, 12:13:32 PMHe's one of the most significant players in NY Giant history. He was MVP for two SB's but the Giants Defense really kept them in those games. He was a middling regular season QB who had ice in his veins during those two playoff runs.

I think he gets in because of the name and NY and because he's kept himself relevant. Especially on those Monday night games.

Personally, I have a high bar for the HOF. Although I would like to see him get it but I don't think he deserves it.

2007 Defense was a huge factor

2011 The defense was terrible until something clicked the last month of the season .... we were 9-7 .... Eli led what ? 6 game winning drives that season ???

I give Eli credit for the 2011 Super Bowl season more than any other factor

We also had what the 30-31th ranked rushing offense ? And our once elite O-line aged and fell off a cliff

2007 Yes Defense carried the team

2011 Eli carried the entire team and the defense eventually clicked and completed the team 

madbadger

If Antonio Gates got snubbed this year no one should feel confident that Eli is a lock for the first ballot.

Ed Vette

Eli was the QB for the 2005, 2006, the very good 2008 team and the 2016 team.

Ben Roethlisberger was a better QB. Should he get in? 
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

kartanoman

Quote from: Ed Vette on February 10, 2024, 11:26:41 PMEli was the QB for the 2005, 2006, the very good 2008 team and the 2016 team.

Ben Roethlisberger was a better QB. Should he get in? 

Had 2008 played out without Osi getting hurt, or the Plax incident derailing the offense, it 11-1 may have become 15-1 and back to back and this thread wouldn't even exist. Eli would be a foregone conclusion for the HoF.

I mean, he won't get any votes by the San Diego press, that we know. But the rest, he finished his career top 10 all time in several categories, was an Ironman for many years and the two Super Bowl MVPs are huge.

But will it be enough?

How about this? Both Eli AND Tom Coughlin go in, TOGETHER! Tom has been a semi-finalist for a couple of years now and going in together may actually help each other's cause.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Hadron

I love Eli but man, is it hard to project.

On one hand, he's a 2x SB MVP. QB of a team that knocked off the undefeated Patriots, and had several good years.

On the other hand, we have the Eli that threw some of the most mind-blowing INTs I've ever seen on any level of football. Those later years of his career were awful (except for that 2016 season).

Ultimately, I think he gets in. The name, the market, the SB MVPs, and the memorable plays. Might become a bit more difficult unless he gets in before Big Ben, Brees, etc become eligible. 

MightyGiants

Consider that TE Antonio Gates didn't make this year's HOF class.  Is Eli Manning anywhere near the QB that Gates was a TE?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 11, 2024, 09:39:37 AMConsider that TE Antonio Gates didn't make this year's HOF class.  Is Eli Manning anywhere near the QB that Gates was a TE?

Whether one views this as fair or not, the fact is that postseason accomplishments can really impact voting very dramatically. The Chargers in the Rivers/Gates/Tomlinson era were consistently disappointing in postseason play relative to their regular season performances. I'm not sure if they even made it to an AFC championship game. If they did, it wasn't more than once.

I'm not saying Gates shouldn't be in. I think he should, and I am pretty confident that he will be. He was a terrific player. As I said earlier, I don't have a strong view that Eli will get in on the first ballot either. I think he has a chance but he probably deserves to have to wait a couple rounds and may well have to.

TDToomer

Big Ben is definitely getting in.

I would be shocked if Eli gets in one his first ballot. His career stats outside of 2 perfect super bowl runs is rather pedestrian.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs