News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

How do you remember Jeremy Shockey ?

Started by brownelvis54, February 10, 2024, 09:29:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kartanoman

Quote from: LennG on February 11, 2024, 12:25:26 PMLarry, you said exactly how I feel. When I di think of him, his accomplishments are sort of in the background and my main thoughts are negative about him. I guess that is the way I will always think back on him.

As Ed said, he used to be at practice and sign everything and anything. I met him also at a signing when he was hawking some shoes, and got a hat signed by him. I also have his jersey signed and a could of other things. The jersey is sort of buried in the bak of my closet and the other stuff, well what would one do with things signed by Jeremy Shockey today?

Messieurs Lenn and Larry, you are not alone in your opinions of Shockey, as many NFL players coming out of "The U" have opinions of them that are kindly described as polarizing to perhaps less complimentary descriptors as "self-aggrandizing."

He was the antithesis of a Mark Bavaro, in terms of personality. He grew up without a father in small-town Oklahoma. He grew up as wild and as predictable as a tornado touching down just southeast from Oklahoma City where he grew up (SIDE NOTE: I've been to OKC on business many times and have danced between EF4 funnels ... you have to be crazy to do that as part of your daily life!).

He worked and played hard. No, mad is probably the better term as he described himself a fancy at backroom brawling at the local bars. He brought that unfiltered attitude with him on the field and on the party circuit. Bringing it to New York, unrefined, would excite some and alienate others. Personally, I enjoyed watching him play for the Giants and am disappointed with the way things turned out and the choices he made to alienate himself. But he needed a fresh start and got that so it all worked out for him, and the Giants, in the end as both would win Super Bowls apart from each other.

Nowadays, he's doing all-right for himself, it appears, and understands who he is and stays honest with himself. In the end, as long as he's at peace with himself, and not doing the brawling stuff anymore, I say good for him and all the best. If I ever have to go back to OKC for business, and I see him at a bar and grill, I might quietly walk by his table to acknowledge I'm a Giant fan and enjoyed watching his career in NY. If he had a few minutes to sit and chat, I'd be more than happy to buy a pitcher and talk things Giants, Oklahoma or whatever. After all, who am I to judge a person?

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

andrew_nyGiants

Quote from: TDToomer on February 11, 2024, 12:41:20 PMIronically they both played the same amount of seasons after being drafted.
The difference during their respective time here for me was Bavaro always made it about the team, Shockey made it about Shockey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

sooners56

A menace on the field. In both positive and negative ways. He did bring a swagger to the offense. His personality was ferocious and he wanted to win. He indeed is from Oklahoma, and as a fellow Oklahoman, I loved watching him play for my favorite team. However, when it was all said and done, he underachieved based on the talent he had. Still had a pretty dam good career. 2 time SB Champ!!!
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!

MagicRat

I loved Shockey at the time,  but defo a me first rather than team first guy.
I recall a game......may have been Philli?.....he lost his helmet in the course of making a catch.
On making the catch, he turned infield, helmetless,  looking for yards and contact.
In the heat of battle,  I loved it.
When the dust settled.....I thought, daft boy.
I remember the carry on at 42 when he was heading around the sideline on crutches, I'm now happy our TE was Kevin Boss rather than Shockey in that game.
I bear the lad no ill will, but he could have made more of his career had he matured earlier.
Smell my cheese you mother!