News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

How do you remember Jeremy Shockey ?

Started by brownelvis54, February 10, 2024, 09:29:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brownelvis54

Without looking up anything on the internet...how do you remember Shockey as a player and as a teammate? For me.... again not looking at the internet for facts my view of him was good player, but terrible teammate.

I want to say he was drafted 1st round with the 10th pick. I remember he had some really good years. I want to say he was mean to Eli. Didn't want to work out with him in the off season and would only work out in Florida with other players not named Eli. Injured during Elis first Superbowl.

1-How do you remember him?

2- Considering where he was drafted, did he live up to it career wise?

3-Was he a good teammate from what you can remember?
The KING is in the building

Doc16LT56

Shockey made plays that could turn the momentum in a game. He was fun to watch. But his overall production always left you wanting more.

He lived up to his draft position for sure. There were a few players drafted later who were better players (Ed Reed) but there were also a lot of busts and mediocre players. They needed a weapon on offense and he was the best one in that draft.

He was a bad teammate. Disruptive and self centered. But he was one of the most competitive players on the field and cared about winning. Some teams need a player like Shockey stirring the pot. I'd want him on this iteration of the Giants to break them out of their low expectations and excuse making doldrums. But his personality didn't mesh well with Eli.

I also wonder how that 2008 season would have gone if they hadn't traded Shockey. When Plax shot himself, the team basically folded. You have to wonder how things could have gone if they still had Shockey on the team. Not to mention they traded him for basically nothing. Clint Sintim and Rhett Bomar which is a less than nothing return for a quality TE.

kartanoman

Quote from: Doc16LT56 on February 10, 2024, 10:15:13 PMShockey made plays that could turn the momentum in a game. He was fun to watch. But his overall production always left you wanting more.

He lived up to his draft position for sure. There were a few players drafted later who were better players (Ed Reed) but there were also a lot of busts and mediocre players. They needed a weapon on offense and he was the best one in that draft.

He was a bad teammate. Disruptive and self centered. But he was one of the most competitive players on the field and cared about winning. Some teams need a player like Shockey stirring the pot. I'd want him on this iteration of the Giants to break them out of their low expectations and excuse making doldrums. But his personality didn't mesh well with Eli.

I also wonder how that 2008 season would have gone if they hadn't traded Shockey. When Plax shot himself, the team basically folded. You have to wonder how things could have gone if they still had Shockey on the team. Not to mention they traded him for basically nothing. Clint Sintim and Rhett Bomar which is a less than nothing return for a quality TE.

Shockey was Jim Fassel's guy from the get-go for all the reasons mentioned above. In short, a disruptive force. He was all that and more in his early years.

I always believed Shockey was a team player from the standpoint he cared about his teammates, as well as his quarterback, but was known to speak his mind, like Tiki, to the press, which frustrated Coughlin. By 2007, after he sustained his injury, the contrasting style of Kevin Boss was so great that it seemed Eli performed better with the younger TE in the lineup. Shockey was already disgruntled and on the way out. The reasons were because he wanted to stand on the sideline during the Super Bowl and was told no. But it was a lot of other things as well. This sums it up well:

Inside Jeremy Shockey's Wild Giants Tenure

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

DaveBrown74

I remember him for being a me-guy, but I also remember him for having the capacity to make plays like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPXeOHjV854

Doc16LT56

Quote from: kartanoman on February 11, 2024, 07:07:23 AMShockey was Jim Fassel's guy from the get-go for all the reasons mentioned above. In short, a disruptive force. He was all that and more in his early years.

I always believed Shockey was a team player from the standpoint he cared about his teammates, as well as his quarterback, but was known to speak his mind, like Tiki, to the press, which frustrated Coughlin. By 2007, after he sustained his injury, the contrasting style of Kevin Boss was so great that it seemed Eli performed better with the younger TE in the lineup. Shockey was already disgruntled and on the way out. The reasons were because he wanted to stand on the sideline during the Super Bowl and was told no. But it was a lot of other things as well. This sums it up well:

Inside Jeremy Shockey's Wild Giants Tenure

Peace!
That book excerpt is terrific. Really enjoyed reading it. Thanks for sharing!

Trench

For all the explosive plays he did make I also remember him dropping the ball in key spots and then throwing his hands up in the air in frustration. He never quite lived up to the hype. His years with Drew Brees were better for him

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Trench on February 11, 2024, 08:06:07 AMFor all the explosive plays he did make I also remember him dropping the ball in key spots and then throwing his hands up in the air in frustration. He never quite lived up to the hype. His years with Drew Brees were better for him

Until he got known as the rat on the whole Bountygate thing.

Ed Vette

I liked Shockey and I had high hopes for him. There were times he was open and Eli either missed seeing him or didn't go his way. There were a few untimely drops. He was a total TE package. An excellent blocker as well as a great route runner who fought for extra yards. He had a high energy and all he wanted to do was win.

His antics hurt him and he should have supported Eli better. Between him and Tiki, they were perceived as a negative influence.

I remember his injuries were from the ankle down. He had thoroughbred lower legs down with too much top-heavy muscle to support.

Coughlin should have allowed him to be on the field for the SB but I understand why he may have been a distraction. I remember that overblown ice cube incident. He was on crutches too as I recall.

At Camp in Albany he was the only player who ran side to side signing the two autograph lines.

He could have had a better career and I had high expectations for him but he did carve out a nice one. He had almost 900 yards in two of his Giants season and seven TDs in 05 and 06. A four time Pro Bowl and was a first team all pro his rookie season.

I rank him right behind Bavaro as the Giants all time greatest TEs. Aaron Thomas had 37 TDs but played ten years with the Giants. Shockey did have 37 career TDs. I agree that if he was on that 2008 team, the Giants could have gone all the way. It could have been magic.   
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Two things I remember about him

1)  Accorsi bragging that he overrode the team psychologist who had red-flagged Shockey (he bragged about this before Shockey's meltdown)

2)  Shockey whining about presnap motion wearing him out
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 11, 2024, 08:58:39 AMTwo things I remember about him

1)  Accorsi bragging that he overrode the team psychologist who had red-flagged Shockey (he bragged about this before Shockey's meltdown)

2)  Schokey whining about presnap motion wearing him out

I think Jeremy Shockey was an inflection point for the Giants which led to their future success.  For the few seasons prior to him becoming a Giant, the Giants defense owned the Giants offense, kicking its a$$ in every practice.  What resulted was an offense that lacked confidence.  After Shockey gets drafted, at the rookie dinner with the team, he refused to stand up and sing.  Then, he got into a fight with Brandon Short, the LB.  As practices unfolded he started to beat defenders and pushing and shoving them, then other offensive players responded.  The offense got an identity, got confident and the rest is history.

He was a me first, grumpy player who ran very fast for a TE at that time making him uncoverable in the middle of the field.  He embarrassed QB when he thought they should have thrown it to him.

As much as I did not like that, he brought swagger to the offense which they desperately needed.

Doc16LT56

Quote from: Philosophers on February 11, 2024, 09:11:42 AMI think Jeremy Shockey was an inflection point for the Giants which led to their future success.  For the few seasons prior to him becoming a Giant, the Giants defense owned the Giants offense, kicking its a$$ in every practice.  What resulted was an offense that lacked confidence.  After Shockey gets drafted, at the rookie dinner with the team, he refused to stand up and sing.  Then, he got into a fight with Brandon Short, the LB.  As practices unfolded he started to beat defenders and pushing and shoving them, then other offensive players responded.  The offense got an identity, got confident and the rest is history.
Yes, he 100% helped change the culture. I thought Quenton Nelson could have been that guy a few years ago. He was a big missed opportunity for this team.

Painter

The fact that when I think of Jeremy Shockey my thoughts are negative, when they ought to be otherwise, is his fault and no one else's. You might see that as unfair, yet not unexpected. And while I am no doubt in the minority where he's concerned, it ought not to be that way, and thus why it is that I can't help but feel dislike.   

Cheers!

andrew_nyGiants

As a disappointment because my hope was him being the next Mark Bavaro.

He just wasn't that kind of a teammate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

LennG

Quote from: Painter on February 11, 2024, 11:03:39 AMThe fact that when I think of Jeremy Shockey my thoughts are negative, when they ought to be otherwise, is his fault and no one else's. You might see that as unfair, yet not unexpected. And while I am no doubt in the minority where he's concerned, it ought not to be that way, and thus why it is that I can't help but feel dislike.   

Cheers!

Larry, you said exactly how I feel. When I di think of him, his accomplishments are sort of in the background and my main thoughts are negative about him. I guess that is the way I will always think back on him.

As Ed said, he used to be at practice and sign everything and anything. I met him also at a signing when he was hawking some shoes, and got a hat signed by him. I also have his jersey signed and a could of other things. The jersey is sort of buried in the bak of my closet and the other stuff, well what would one do with things signed by Jeremy Shockey today?
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

TDToomer

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on February 11, 2024, 11:12:39 AMAs a disappointment because my hope was him being the next Mark Bavaro.

He just wasn't that kind of a teammate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ironically they both played the same amount of seasons after being drafted.

"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs