News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Super Bowl thread

Started by MightyGiants, February 11, 2024, 06:44:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

The next day, in retrospect, I said this all week, up to the SB, you have to keep Mahones off the field. The 49ers have the offensive player of the year, they told us at the beginning of the game, Mac should have at least 30 touches, except for OT, he came nowhere near that. I believe Shanahan lost this game before he even started it with the game plan to have Purdy throwing all the time. The Chiefs could be susceptible to the run, and the 49ers never gave it a chance. My game plan would be Mac right, Mac left and then throw him the ball as often as you can. Instead, they let Purdy determine the outcome and he couldn't get it into the end zone when it mattered most.
Like the Giants once did against a powerful Bills offense, they designed a game plan to take as much time off the clock as possible by running the ball. Sorry, IMVHO Mac could have had an OJ Anderson type of day had they followed a better game plan and just fed him the ball. Mahones can only be held in check for so long.
This loss goes on Shanahan's game plan.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

TDToomer

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on February 12, 2024, 08:41:28 AMAll in all, a good night of entertainment. I was shocked at how athletic Usher is. He put on a hell of a show at half time. And I've always been a big fan of Alicia Keys (such a sweet person), and that was one hell of a wild piano she was playing. I'd give the show a 10 out of 10

I hate to break it to you but no one was playing piano on stage. The halftime show has been pre-recorded for years now. They say that Prince was the last one to play and sing live. The RHCP spilled the beans about how the SB wouldn't let them play their instruments so they unplugged them to make a point.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

uconnjack8

Feel like in any close football game there are ways the losing team could have (or maybe should have) won. Bottom line is they didn't make the plays they needed to win. 

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

Wow, defense held Mahomes to 3 FGs and a TD in regulation. 

DaveBrown74

Quote from: uconnjack8 on February 14, 2024, 04:40:14 PMWow, defense held Mahomes to 3 FGs and a TD in regulation. 

Truth be told, the Chiefs have been a middle of the road scoring offense all season and also in the postseason.

uconnjack8

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on February 14, 2024, 07:06:19 PMTruth be told, the Chiefs have been a middle of the road scoring offense all season and also in the postseason.

Chiefs averaged a little over 21 per game in the regular season which was pretty much middle of the road. In the postseason 1st 3 games they averaged 23/game.  Holding them to a TD less than the season and a little more in the postseason hardly seems a reason to fire a DC.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: uconnjack8 on February 14, 2024, 08:25:32 PMChiefs averaged a little over 21 per game in the regular season which was pretty much middle of the road. In the postseason 1st 3 games they averaged 23/game.  Holding them to a TD less than the season and a little more in the postseason hardly seems a reason to fire a DC.

You're assuming the 49ers based their decision singularly on one game. I wouldn't make that assumption myself.

uconnjack8

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on February 14, 2024, 08:31:13 PMYou're assuming the 49ers based their decision singularly on one game. I wouldn't make that assumption myself.

They were the 3rd ranked defense in terms of ppg, giving up under 18/game for the season.  Would have thought if that wasn't good enough he would have been fired prior to the playoffs.

I am not assuming it's just for the Super Bowl but it sure seems like he is being scapegoated.  The way GB and Detroit ran on them the 2 previous games probably figured into the calculus.  I just can't help but think that  emotional overreaction  from the Super Bowl played a role in the decision.

MagicRat

Looking on from a long way away, this smells bad.
Is Shanahan the annointed golden child who needs a scapegoat for the third blown Superbowl in which he's been involved?
Smell my cheese you mother!

T200

Quote from: MagicRat on February 14, 2024, 11:19:23 PMLooking on from a long way away, this smells bad.
Is Shanahan the annointed golden child who needs a scapegoat for the third blown Superbowl in which he's been involved?
Shanahan's hands have been a part of two SB losses now. Always a bridesmaid...
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

TDToomer

Quote from: T200 on February 15, 2024, 08:10:06 AMShanahan's hands have been a part of two SB losses now. Always a bridesmaid...

Three! He was mostly responsible for the Atlanta failing to run out the clock in the SB, allowing the Patriots to tie the game by continuing to have immobile Matt Ryan call passing plays leading to a sack pushing them out of range of a FG that would have pushed their lead to 10 at the 2 minute warning. They had the ball at the Patriots 35 yards line. All they had to do was run, run, run, FG and they would have won the game.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs