News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Am I the only one who thinks a 4 hour plus Super Bowl is too long?

Started by MightyGiants, February 12, 2024, 09:03:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uni

Quote from: T200 on February 12, 2024, 09:09:48 AMIt doesn't bother me. I just look forward to the day when Superbowl Monday is a national holiday and I don't have to go in to work.

But... in three years it won't matter to me because I'll be fully retired!  <:-P
Almost 20 years ago, I had a co-worker who always had a Super Bowl party and always took the Monday off. I follwed suit the next year and have taken the Monday off every year. It used to be so I could sleep in a recover from overindulging, but lost the desire to get really wasted a long time ago, so it's just to clean up the next day.

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on February 12, 2024, 11:01:06 AMI only watch the pre-game hype when the Giants are in it. Needless to say, I haven't watched it in over 10 years!  :doh:

Usher is indeed very athletic. He's an avid skater and posts many videos on his socials. The roller skating community is big in the urban south.

I was impressed. It's a bold move to take to skates live in front of millions of people
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

andrew_nyGiants

Quote from: Gmo11 on February 12, 2024, 09:50:56 AMGame should be played on Saturday since they get 2 weeks between the conference championship and super bowl now.  Problem solved.  Of course...they will never do it because it makes entirely too much sense.
Goodell won't do Saturday night because he's afraid all the fans are going out to the DISCOTHEQUE!

-Jr. Soprano

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

babywhales

I spend most nights and certainly all Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays in hockey rinks

I bailed on hockey at 2pm yesterday and enjoyed the Super Bowl from 45 minutes before kickoff to the end

I enjoyed it all
"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

coggs

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 12, 2024, 09:03:09 AMThat game was painfully long in my opinion.  4+ hours for a football game is too damn long in my opinion. :cuss:
no, it is not too long.

ozzie

I have thought the Super Bowl is too long for years now.
With all the hoopla surrounding it, performances before the game, performances during an extended halftime, extra long commercial breaks, it seems to me as though the game itself has become secondary. Almost an afterthought.
I'd much prefer the game without all the extra nonsense.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

ozzie

Quote from: babywhales on February 12, 2024, 01:24:26 PMI spend most nights and certainly all Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays in hockey rinks

Playing, coaching, spectating or hustling kids back and forth?
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."

John Mara

babywhales

Quote from: ozzie on February 12, 2024, 01:40:35 PMPlaying, coaching, spectating or hustling kids back and forth?
Depends on the kid, the team and the year I guess

First and foremost I'm always driving . 

This year for fall/winter hockey I spectate for high school,
I coach Bantam.

I'm not coaching spring hockey this year ...
2 boys on 3-4 spring/summer  teams = living in hotels on weekends April into June . Last year it was too much with Middle School Baseball 
"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

ozzie

John Mara

DaveBrown74

I found it too long and too full of non-football stuff that wasn't particularly interesting or clever. Constant commercials for lowest-common-denominator CBS network TV shows, constant celebrity sightings, really dumb commercials in general (I feel like this aspect has really declined over the last 5 years), and what I thought was a not very good halftime performance (I realize this is subjective).

In short, despite it being a good game, I didn't find the whole event THAT enjoyable. I love the other stages of the playoffs, with my favorite being divisional weekend. I've never been a huge fan of the Super Bowl. Obviously I always watch it, but I find the whole thing just overly commercial and filled with endless filler I'm not remotely interested in.

LennG

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on February 12, 2024, 04:48:50 PMI found it too long and too full of non-football stuff that wasn't particularly interesting or clever. Constant commercials for lowest-common-denominator CBS network TV shows, constant celebrity sightings, really dumb commercials in general (I feel like this aspect has really declined over the last 5 years), and what I thought was a not very good halftime performance (I realize this is subjective).

In short, despite it being a good game, I didn't find the whole event THAT enjoyable. I love the other stages of the playoffs, with my favorite being divisional weekend. I've never been a huge fan of the Super Bowl. Obviously I always watch it, but I find the whole thing just overly commercial and filled with endless filler I'm not remotely interested in.

I said it a couple of weeks ago, Championship Sunday is the day for all hardcore football fans. It is pure heaven for us. The SB is for entertainment and for anyone who wants to party to watch. We, as "hardcore' fans, will always watch, but as you said, there is too much of everything else and not enough football.

I know the entertainment value of the SB, but why we need over a 1/2 hour half time when for every game played during the year, it is 15 minutes, is just beyond me. This game has to appeal to the casual fan or no fan at all.
 I used to also go to a SB party every year. The people who hosted knew nothing about football, but having an excuse for a party was the theme. I think, in all those years, I was really the only one who even cared who was playing and who won.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

TDToomer

Why are so many people bothered by a few celebrity sightings. It's the biggest sporting event of the year so yeah celebrities will manage to get tickets. I see the cameras showing celebs at the World Series, NBA games or even a random Yankees game.

The Superbowl has started at roughly 6:30 since the first time I watched it. It's the one thing the NFL hasn't messed with. Let it be.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

MightyGiants

Quote from: TDToomer on February 12, 2024, 10:37:30 PMWhy are so many people bothered by a few celebrity sightings. It's the biggest sporting event of the year so yeah celebrities will manage to get tickets. I see the cameras showing celebs at the World Series, NBA games or even a random Yankees game.

The Superbowl has started at roughly 6:30 since the first time I watched it. It's the one thing the NFL hasn't messed with. Let it be.

It would have been nice if it had actually started at 6:30.  Instead we were forced to watch some mini-documentary about the fires in Hawaii
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 13, 2024, 08:28:42 AMIt would have been nice if it had actually started at 6:30.  Instead we were forced to watch some mini-documentary about the fires in Hawaii
I don't have a problem with the NFL spending a few minutes bringing awareness to devastating situations that are no longer making the rounds in the news cycle. At least it shows that the owners aren't completely heartless and greedy. The average 30-second spot during the SB was 7 million. Maybe some of that money will find its way to help those in need.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

TDToomer

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 13, 2024, 08:28:42 AMIt would have been nice if it had actually started at 6:30.  Instead we were forced to watch some mini-documentary about the fires in Hawaii

So you don't care about the thousands of Americans who lost their lives and homes? Wow just wow.  :boooo:
Nothing has changed over the past 30 years about the start time of the SB! You are yelling at the clouds.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs