News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Thomas McGaughey

Started by Giant Obsession, February 13, 2024, 12:13:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Giant Obsession

Hired by Tampa Bay as their special teams coach.

I feel safe in saying he was despised here but like our OL coach had little trouble in finding employment.

My point in posting this is let's face it the Giants have been bottom 5 talent in this league for quite a while.   Since special teams is usually made up of reserve players occasionally mixed in with a couple of starters what do we really expect or have a right to expect insofar as special teams performance on a team void of quality talent at the bottom of the roster ???

The old saying "no matter how hard you polish manure it ain't gonna shine" comes to mind.

Heck for the last 5 years except for late this season we treated the position of punt returner like poison ivy.  Kickoff returner is a vanished part of the game.  Gano when healthy is easily top ten and our punter is at least acceptable though I would beat the bushes looking to upgrade.

In other words for all those on here who called for his head ...why ??  Not looking to be argumentative here, just wondering what did we have a right to expect given the lack of talent rosterwise ??
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

ozzie

I agree. With the talent on this roster (or lack thereof) I think McGaughey did about as good of a job as he could have.
I'm not complaining about some new blood taking over, but I remember when everyone wanted Quinn gone in favor of McGaughey. And now he has fallen out of favor too.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara