News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Former GM Mike Tannenbaum suggest QB trade for NYG

Started by MightyGiants, February 16, 2024, 09:52:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbadger

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 16, 2024, 10:55:06 AMAs @madbadger mentioned I am not sure if this is really true.  You have Christian Peters, Kerry Collins (who was damaged goods when the Giants signed him), Jay Feely, Ahmad Bradshaw (who eventually served time for theft), and LT (I suspect I have forgotten a few).

Dave Meggette was an absolute degenerate when he played for the Giants but most of his behavior went unnoticed by the public until he got to New England. I have a hard time believing that the Mara's were unaware of his character deficits.

Jclayton92

https://www.si.com/nfl/giants/big-blue-plus/new-york-giants-daniel-jones-brian-daboll

Didn't want to start a new thread just for it but a really good article explaining why the Giants have to get a Qb this offseason.

ozzie

"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

LennG

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 16, 2024, 11:28:40 AMThey have Joe Flacco and would get Daniel Jones (who likely do much better with the far more talented Browns team).  They might prefer to run with Flacco and get out from under the Watson deal.

Why would you think Jones would do better on any other team? How many coaches has he had and Jones is still Jones. Yes he may put up better numbers and a few more wins but he is and always will be just an average QB and nothing will change that.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Philosophers

Quote from: madbadger on February 16, 2024, 10:42:08 AMHistory would suggest that you aren't correct that he isn't Giants material. The Mara's gave Christian Peters an opportunity when it was well known that he had been accused of multiple rapes while at Nebraska. I'm not interested in Watson but the Mara's aren't as strait laced as they pretend to be.

Your point is right, but look at the players they made exceptions to.  Generally late round draft picks, low cost positions or a player coming back from redemption signed at a lower cost.  I don't think they've taken a big ticket flier on a player with some issues.  With Watson, they'd be on the hook for a lot of money.  I don't think that's their type of gamble.  I may be wrong.

Brooklyn Dave

Quote from: LennG on February 16, 2024, 11:14:13 AMForget all the other bull, I would take Fields for a #2 pick straight up.

So would I

DaveBrown74

For those who want to trade for Fields: would you exercise his fifth year option in this offseason? You'd be required to make that decision now. That would mean you'd be locking yourself in for about $20mm fully guaranteed for 2025.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on February 16, 2024, 03:30:52 PMFor those who want to trade for Fields: would you exercise his fifth year option in this offseason? You'd be required to make that decision now. That would mean you'd be locking yourself in for about $20mm fully guaranteed for 2025.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

madbadger

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on February 16, 2024, 03:30:52 PMFor those who want to trade for Fields: would you exercise his fifth year option in this offseason? You'd be required to make that decision now. That would mean you'd be locking yourself in for about $20mm fully guaranteed for 2025.

Why would anyone here want a younger version of Daniel Jones? Besides with Jones cap situation no one is going to trade for him and cutting him is out of the question leaving us with two guys who can run but are below average as passers.

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 16, 2024, 10:55:06 AMAs @madbadger mentioned I am not sure if this is really true.  You have Christian Peters, Kerry Collins (who was damaged goods when the Giants signed him), Jay Feely, Ahmad Bradshaw (who eventually served time for theft), and LT (I suspect I have forgotten a few).
Josh Brown would disagree.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

kartanoman

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Giant Obsession

Quote from: LennG on February 16, 2024, 11:14:13 AMForget all the other bull, I would take Fields for a #2 pick straight up.

The ONLY QB I see out there worth acquiring is Fields. That includes college and available NFL quarterback.

The number 6 pick and not much else should be doable.  Or you can give them Daniel Jones also, but U doubt Chicago like the rest of the NFL is that dumb.  He is our 40 million dollar albatross for this coming season.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

nb587

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 16, 2024, 11:07:07 AMActually, if the Giants were to trade for Watson, they would be on the hook for $46 million (his guaranteed base salary) for the next three seasons.   The Browns own the rest because they did some bonuses.  If the Giants were to trade away Jones they would save nearly $14 million in cap space (with a $33 million dead cap charge).
If the Giants made the trade and cut Watson after a year, would they be on the hook for $46 m for the next 2 years?

MightyGiants

Quote from: nb587 on February 16, 2024, 06:18:51 PMIf the Giants made the trade and cut Watson after a year, would they be on the hook for $46 m for the next 2 years?

3 seasons
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

nb587

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 16, 2024, 06:48:05 PM3 seasons
If I thought Watson had much left in the tank, it might be worth it.  That 2nd round pick is appealing but that's too expensive.