News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

5-letter words that are WORDLE "streak busters"

Started by Jolly Blue Giant, February 18, 2024, 09:14:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolly Blue Giant

Wordle Streak Breakers

Note: Words preceded with asterisk *, have already been used in WORDLE that had high percentage of breaking streaks

QUEUE: objects or people waiting in line
AQUOX: An oxisol with a water table at or near the surface
MYYRH: a red-brown resinous material, used throughout history in medicine, perfumery, and incenses.
*MUMMY: a human being or animal that has been ceremonially preserved
*CACAO: tree that bears cacao seeds, from which cocoa, and chocolate are made
QWAKE: rumbling vibrations
*WOOER: one who seeks favor or support
DUCAT: an admission ticket
OUIJI: a spirit board, talking board, or witch board
ERGAT: a fungal disease
MIMIC: imitate
*PARER: one who pares
CRAIC: enjoyable social activity; a good time
*KNOLL: small hill or mound
SQUAB: a young pigeon
QUIRK: peculiar behavioral habit
ENOKI: an edible Japanese mushroom
*IONIC: composed of, or using ions
*COYLY: outwardly shy or modest in order to allure someone
*NYMPH: immature form of an insect
*REBUS: a puzzle in which words are represented by pictures and/or individual letters
TRITE: overused and consequently of little import; lacking originality
ONION: an edible bulb with a pungent taste
TRUSS: a framework, typically consisting of rafters, posts, and struts
*MIDGE: a small fly that is often seen in swarms near water or marshy areas
SYLPH: imaginary spirit of the air; or type of dark green humming bird
WINCE: involuntary grimace
HUMPH: expressing slight sound of scornful doubt or dissatisfaction
APHID: a tiny insect
*TRYST: a private romantic rendezvous between lovers
*AGORA: a public open space used for assemblies and markets.
EPOCH: a period of time in history or a person's life, typically one marked by notable events
SALVO: simultaneous discharge of artillery or other guns in a battle
RABBI: a Jewish scholar or teacher
KOALA: Australian marsupial that has thick gray fur and feeds on eucalyptus leaves
QUARK: any of a number of subatomic particles carrying a fractional electric charge

The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Sem

All depends on your opening word(s), wouldn't it? For instance, I sacrifice two opening words to begin the game. And looking through this list of 36 streak breakers I see for most of them I'd have at least three letters, (not all of them in the correct places), before I even have to think. Of course that doesn't guarantee I'd solve them but obviously helps.

Using my opening two words on the "breakers" gives me
3 letters - 25x
4 letters - 14x
5 letters - 2x

LennG

Quote from: Sem on February 18, 2024, 11:38:44 AMAll depends on your opening word(s), wouldn't it? For instance, I sacrifice two opening words to begin the game. And looking through this list of 36 streak breakers I see for most of them I'd have at least three letters, (not all of them in the correct places), before I even have to think. Of course that doesn't guarantee I'd solve them but obviously helps.

Using my opening two words on the "breakers" gives me
3 letters - 25x
4 letters - 14x
5 letters - 2x

Steve

What do you mean by 'breakers'?
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Sem

Quote from: LennG on February 18, 2024, 11:41:55 AMSteve

What do you mean by 'breakers'?
The list of 36 words in Ric's opening post.

Jolly Blue Giant

As I have said in the past, I also play the daily Quordle game. Didn't like it at first, but now I'm addicted to it. You have to solve 4 games, and the first game you have to get pretty quick, because you only get 10 guesses to solve all four puzzles. Letters used in the first game are already added to the next three games, so each subsequent game gets a little easier. Sometimes the fourth game (or even the third) is already solved, for all practical purposes...just rearrange a couple of the letters

Had a great streak going, but busted last week when the first of four word problems was "MYYRH". What a horrible word to solve out of the gate. I eventually got it, but used up 8 of my 10 guesses, so there was only one chance to solve the next three puzzles...and of course, I needed 3 chances, 1 for each puzzle, so I busted

I think "OUIJI" would be a bitch to solve. They already used "QUEUE" in Quordle, and I had no problem with it because I've been waiting for that word to hit the regular WORDLE game some day. It will bust some streaks when it finally comes around

https://www.merriam-webster.com/games/quordle/#/
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh: