News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants the only team in 20 years...

Started by MightyGiants, February 21, 2024, 11:14:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Could be the diff. between getting (or not) one of the very few can't-miss players available in this draft. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

President Rick

while it didn't help our record much, TO's usually are one of the two most important factors IMHO for winning in football.  The other is injuries.  The latter has hurt us a lot in recent memory.
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

Bob In PA

If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

President Rick

Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

uconnjack8

Quote from: Bob In PA on February 21, 2024, 12:58:47 PMSuper Bowl champs at minus eleven.

Would much rather be that exception to the rule than the one the Giants are.

Ed Vette

The first 8 games the Giants were 2-6 and in the last 8 games they were 4-4. Even a bad team with dysfunction can take advantage of turnovers. Of course, that doesn't fit Warren Sharp's narrative.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

kartanoman

I think it's a noteworthy accomplishment. Yet, for some, it's disappointment they have one less thing to play the "blame game" on due to the final record.

And the beat goes on .... (Christopher Allen)

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

zephirus

The Chiefs and Giants show that turnover differential is pretty negligible depending upon the competency of your offense.  The Giants' ability to convert turnovers into even field goals was abysmal last year.  I can't tell you how many times we go the ball via turnover, even in plus territory and thought "oh great we MIGHT be able to get a field goal out of that".  Conversely, the Chiefs could often shrug off a turnover and say "our defense will handle it" and be right.

kartanoman

Quote from: zephirus on February 21, 2024, 03:59:52 PMThe Chiefs and Giants show that turnover differential is pretty negligible depending upon the competency of your offense.  The Giants' ability to convert turnovers into even field goals was abysmal last year.  I can't tell you how many times we go the ball via turnover, even in plus territory and thought "oh great we MIGHT be able to get a field goal out of that".  Conversely, the Chiefs could often shrug off a turnover and say "our defense will handle it" and be right.

This is the most lucid, well thought-out response with respect to the huge gap in W-L differential between the Giants and the best teams in the NFL with poor turnover ratios, such as the Super Bowl Champion Chiefs. When you have a team whose offense and defense can dictate the course of a game at its most critical points, and get the turnover ratios to favor them in those moments, while yielding the rest of the game to whatever the record book tallies up, the final analysis isn't the aggregate turnover ratio but, instead, how you performed in those critical moments.

How did the Chiefs do? How did the Giants do? There-in lies the answer.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

BluesCruz

I remember this and how it went down

Wink put a much bigger emphasis on ball swiping and blitzing after our terrible start

Wink is in Michigan now and I worry out D will get much more lax this coming year

As we lean into 2024 with a QB who lost 7 out of 10 games in college and as our QB, and a RB who is rarely swapped out and builds his resume on chunk yardage on long 2nd half runs makng up for his "Dayne for no gain" 1st halves and short yardage situations- we are likely doomed for 2024.

Anything can happen but right now our 2024 prospects are dim indeed

I'd be suprised if we can improve on last years record. 

However hope springs eternal, and I hope Daboll and company prove me wrong

Personally, I'd let Barkley hit the open market and only bring him back for the vet minimum if no one wants him

Jones I would attempt to trade (even if we have to give a high draft choice with Jones to the buyer) and let DeVito and a high profile rookie vie for the starters job.....Even if we do get a top QB draftee, I'd start DeVito like we did Warner and see where things go.   DeVito was pulled prematurely last year.  He did show a lot of promise before getting head butted by New Orleans.

The Oline should be better and the pass D still looks good

The Giants players have to WANT IT....to overcome their issues

Our odds in Vegas are 150-1 to win the SB and thats probably accurate but miracles do happen.
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

jgrangers2

Quote from: Ed Vette on February 21, 2024, 02:27:40 PMThe first 8 games the Giants were 2-6 and in the last 8 games they were 4-4. Even a bad team with dysfunction can take advantage of turnovers. Of course, that doesn't fit Warren Sharp's narrative.

Level of competition went way down in that last 8 compared to the first 8. We won the TO battle 3-0 against Miami and got destroyed. Won the TO battle 2-0 against Buffalo and lost. Turnovers can be an equalizer but they will never make up for wide gaps in talent.

Ed Vette

Quote from: jgrangers2 on February 22, 2024, 10:15:10 AMLevel of competition went way down in that last 8 compared to the first 8. We won the TO battle 3-0 against Miami and got destroyed. Won the TO battle 2-0 against Buffalo and lost. Turnovers can be an equalizer but they will never make up for wide gaps in talent.
Turnovers were one of the factors why they won some of those games. The Offense certainly didn't drive them.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

jgrangers2

Quote from: Ed Vette on February 22, 2024, 10:17:11 AMTurnovers were one of the factors why they won some of those games. The Offense certainly didn't drive them.

Sure, but they also won the TO battle against New England and barely came away with a win. They won the TO battle in the first Philly game and against the Rams and lost both. Ultimately, getting turnovers can help but the Giants were still 6-7 over those last 13 games despite the TO differential.

Ed Vette

Quote from: jgrangers2 on February 22, 2024, 11:34:59 AMSure, but they also won the TO battle against New England and barely came away with a win. They won the TO battle in the first Philly game and against the Rams and lost both. Ultimately, getting turnovers can help but the Giants were still 6-7 over those last 13 games despite the TO differential.
Without the turnover differential, they would have lost many of those six games.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin