News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Should the Giants try to keep CB Adoree Jackson?

Started by MightyGiants, February 23, 2024, 10:54:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

The Giants already have a ton of holes in their starting lineup (3-tech DT, Edge, RB, S, Guard X2, Swing Tackle/staring RT, CB, slot CB

I noticed AJ isn't getting a lot of love in the FA rankings and might be a cheap option.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

President Rick

one ? is how much more it might take to sign a top 5 FA CB compared to what it will take to re-sign jackson.  Then there's how the coaches feel about hawkins, and whether he's going to be a starter or just a reserve.
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

MightyGiants

Quote from: President Rick on February 23, 2024, 11:06:50 AMone ? is how much more it might take to sign a top 5 FA CB compared to what it will take to re-sign jackson.  Then there's how the coaches feel about hawkins, and whether he's going to be a starter or just a reserve.

Top ten CBs make between $14 million and $21 million a season

I can't imagine Adoree commanding more than $2 or $3 million per season ($5 million tops).
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Stringer Bell

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 23, 2024, 11:27:12 AMTop ten CBs make between $14 million and $21 million a season

I can't imagine Adoree commanding more than $2 or $3 million per season ($5 million tops).

No way I'd pay him $5M. If he was willing to take $2M, I'd be fine with it. Otherwise, my preference is to let him walk, use that money in FA to sign an OG, and then draft another CB with our later 2nd or 3rd. Banks / draft pick / Hawkins / Flott would be solid. But I think using a high pick is needed, as I'm not entirely sold in Hawkins.

DaveBrown74

No. He gets hurt every year, he's aging, and he's expensive. We have zero chance of contending this year, so there really is no point.

On top of the above, he also wasn't very good last year.

UncannyGfan

He had one of the best CB seasons I've ever seen from a Giant two seasons ago until the punt return decision.  He took a step back last season but still had some big moments.

I think if they had to make a choice between big funds for McKinney or cheaper contract for Jackson as a #2 CB, they should choose Jackson.  Banks is going to get better on a rookie contract and Jackson's contract in a market where he's not in the top ten is going to be great for the team's cap space situation. 

Ed Vette

He had some regression and he's going to be 29, so I'd be cautious about what could be his last contract. He's going to be looking for at least a three year commitment. In all fairness to him, moving him to Slot initially didn't help him. He still has some good football left. The decision will come down to weighing a one year with a potential SB contender or staying here with the hope the Giants right the ship. They can't sign a solid Guard, and Barkley, Jackson and McKinney. Two of those will be lost.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jclayton92

I think AJ was one of the best FA signings we've had in 2 decades. He didn't have a ton of turnovers but he did do his job well.