News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

First Round Tight Ends

Started by MightyGiants, February 27, 2024, 09:22:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

It's a weak draft class for TEs.  One thing I heard is that Bowers may drop out of top 10 because if you draft him too high, you slot his rookie contract at too high a total dollar amount for the TE position.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Philosophers on February 27, 2024, 09:51:41 AMIt's a weak draft class for TEs.  One thing I heard is that Bowers may drop out of top 10 because if you draft him too high, you slot his rookie contract at too high a total dollar amount for the TE position.

Which is what happened when the Giants drafted Barkley number 2 overall.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 27, 2024, 09:54:34 AMWhich is what happened when the Giants drafted Barkley number 2 overall.

Or the Giants trade down just "low enough" to still get him, but not pay the top-ten premium. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on February 27, 2024, 11:04:40 AMOr the Giants trade down just "low enough" to still get him, but not pay the top-ten premium. Bob

I think it's worth repeating.   The idea that teams will trade down for a targetted player (so that value matches draft position) is unrealistic, in my opinion.   When teams trade down, they greatly increase the risk of losing the player they are targeting.

Teams will trade up if there is a single player they are targeting.  They stand pat or trade down only when they have multiple prospects they would be happy to draft.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Unless a TE is a phenom at Blocking and an Elite playmaker, no TE should be drafted in the top ten. Looking at their Stats, TE's aren't worthy of a top 20 pick. Pitts had one 1000 yard season. Most don't get enough targets to reach above 800 and get at least 6 TD's. That's meaningless though because some team will pick Brock Bowers in the top 15.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on February 27, 2024, 11:31:28 AMUnless a TE is a phenom at Blocking and an Elite playmaker, no TE should be drafted in the top ten. Looking at their Stats, TE's aren't worthy of a top 20 pick. Pitts had one 1000 yard season. Most don't get enough targets to reach above 800 and get at least 6 TD's. That's meaningless though because some team will pick Brock Bowers in the top 15.

A true 2-way TE is special; a pass-catching TE, not so much.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE